šŸ« Ceremonial Cacao

We already had some beginnings in talks about ceremonial cacao in the recent chocolate love blessing group ritual:

https://forum.spells8.com/t/group-ritual-feb-8-chocolate-love-blessing/47438

There are many lovely experiences over in the group ritual thread, so I recommend giving it a browse. But do bear in mind that it resides within A Sacred Space, so you will need to be logged in to view it.

To begin with, letā€™s have a look at what ceremonial cacao is.

@CelestiaMoon found some information on what kind of cacao is needed:

It is pure cacao-bean paste: Ceremonial cacao or ceremonial-grade cacao, as it is also known, is a very specific type of product. Itā€™s a 100% pure cacao-bean paste that contains a much higher quantity of beneficial, health-restoring, and mood-elevating compounds than any other cacao-based product on the market (like cacao powder, non-ceremonial cacao paste, dark chocolate, etc).

It is made from high-quality Criollo cacao beans: Ceremonial-grade cacao paste contains a much higher quantity of beneficial compounds because it is made from a specific variety of cacao beanā€” the pure Criollo (ā€œkri-o-yoā€) bean.

It is minimally processed through traditional production means: The ceremonial-grade Criollo cacao paste is also made in a very specific way. In comparison to the more widely-available and well known cacao-based products, such as cacao powder and dark chocolate, pure ceremonial cacao paste is minimally processed through traditional production means that originated in Mayan and Olmec civilizations (where the tradition of using cacao in a ceremonial way started)

None or minimal amounts of sugars are added: Most cacao-based products like dark chocolate or cocoa have at least a 30% sugar content (even if they are labeled as ā€œlow-sugarā€). When consumed, that sugar content gives rise to sudden spikes in blood sugar levels which cause a ā€œsugar highā€ that masks (or overpowers) the heart-warming sensations the pure Criollo cacao paste brings about.

It is organic: In addition to the fact that ceremonial cacao should be minimally processed, it should also be organic. An important part of ceremony is that we are using pure cacao as a tool to heal and connect with our bodies. The ingestion of cacao grown through the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, and genetic modification is potentially harmful for us, and therefore, unfit for ceremonial use.

https://medium.com/cacao-ceremonies/what-is-ceremonial-cacao-what-makes-it-ceremonial-9ba9334bc77f

Anyway, since group rituals eventually close, I thought it would be nice to continue the conversation and adventures here.

:silver_heart: :black_heart:

18 Likes

I went ahead and bought the following. (Ingredients and their descriptions, if applicable, each come from the various websites.)

(FORTHELOVEOFCHOCOLATE for 10% off)

Ingredients

Mystical Mushroom
Cacao Beans from Belize, Reishi, Chaga, Turkey Tail, Lionā€™s Mane, Cordyceps, Maitake, Shiitake, Oyster, Poria, Phellinus, and Tremella

Oaxacan Spice
Cacao Beans from Guatemala, Cinnamon from Sri Lanka, Cardamom from Guatemala, Ginger from China, Cayenne from India

Tantric Rose Blossom
Cacao Beans from Tanzania, Pink Rose Petals from Morocco, Orange Peel from US, Damiana from Mexico, Licorice Root from Turkey

Vibrant Vitality
Cacao Beans from Colombia, Maca from Peru, Ashwagandha from India, Cacao Butter from Tanzania, Turmeric from India, Black Pepper from Indonesia

(CACAOCOMMUNITY for 10% off)

Inspired by the Mayan and Aztec tribes of Central America, this potent tonic has been specifically crafted for ritual, meditation and celebration.

Allow the medicine of Cacao to take you on a journey within to uncover the hidden jewels that lay buried deep within the centre of your heart.

Ingredients

Cacao is one of the most nutrient-rich foods in the world. An aphrodisiac, an immune builder, a vascular strengthener, a hormone balancer, cacao works on every system of the body. It contains over 300 different vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as unique MAO inhibitors which promotes heightened levels of serotonin to circulate in the brain.

Ingredients

Siberian Ginseng is an adaptogenic herb that strengthens the whole system and encourages the adrenal glands to secrete stress-fighting hormones.

Ashwagandha is another adaptogen that rejuvenates and strengthens the nervous system, working as a mild depressant to over agitated nerves whilst nourishing and protecting.

Hawthorn berry is a natural heart remedy known to dilate the coronary arteries and blood vessels, improving blood supply and circulation, as well as the blood pumping force. It works to reduce cholesterol and normalise blood pressure.

Licorice root is a synergist, helping to increase the bio-availability of herbs or ingredients it is taken with. A powerful anti-inflammatory herb in its own right, licorice helps to soothe gastrointestinal inflammation and irritations such as GERD, gastritis, IBD, and ulcers.

Cacao is one of the most nutrient-rich foods in the world. An aphrodisiac, an immune builder, a vascular strengthener, a hormone balancer, cacao works on every system of the body. It contains over 300 different vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as unique MAO inhibitors which promotes heightened levels of serotonin to circulate in the brain.

The latter two have arrived, so I may begin trying these experiences, and I will let you know how I go.

If weā€™re going to start sharing ritual dancing clips here though, I will move it to the A Sacred Space to keep everyone safe. Just let me know if you intend to do so. (Or maybe Iā€™ll start dancing first. :laughing:)

14 Likes

Another article on ceremonial cacao:

A guide for having your own cacao ceremony:

Information on cacao and sleep (with a comparison between theobromine and caffeine):

14 Likes

Excited to hear about your experience! :blush: :revolving_hearts: :brown_heart:

And please do have a camera ready if you end up dancing :laughing: :heart_on_fire:

13 Likes

Ooo thank you, bookmarking this and coming back to read over the links in the morning while Iā€™m waiting for my car at the mechanic.

10 Likes

The first thing of note is that it doesnā€™t taste good. :laughing:

But, like the article you shared said, adding sugar would detract from the experience. So, I must endure it.

I remember reading that it creates warmth in the heart, and I did feel this. I was in the bath, and with my body underwater, I could feel that the water in front of the middle of my chest felt colder. This meant that my body temperature there was higher than the temperature of the water. And since the water was warm in relation to the rest of my body, well, that must mean my heart was really warm.

I didnā€™t dance, but I did feel very connected to the universe. It was so calming and nice. This is something I said while still experiencing it after emerging from the bathtub:

11 Likes

Okay, I might have cheated a little by adding one spoon of regular cocoa to the three of ceremonial cacao :laughing: Maybe I need to do it again and see if thereā€™s a difference.

I definitely felt this too :blush: Kind of slow, sensual warmth spreading from the heart to the rest of the body.

Interesting, very interesting :blush: :heart:
Also it feels like the bath would be very natural place to have this ritual, with the water element and the beautiful candlelight that you have :smiling_face: Water and fire, and a bit of earth, are the elements Iā€™m feeling to the cacao.

That is so beautiful :heart_eyes:
Kind of an ego death experience I guess? Just melting the boundary between you and the rest of the universe, itā€™s so good :heart:

11 Likes

Worth a try. :black_heart:

This is the bit from the article about it:

When consumed, that sugar content gives rise to sudden spikes in blood sugar levels which cause a ā€œsugar highā€ that masks (or overpowers) the heart-warming sensations the pure Criollo cacao paste brings about.

And my Cancer Ascendant really approves. (Iā€™m slowly learning the astrological things! :grin:)

I donā€™t know if itā€™s influenced by my love of the Constantine movie, but I find that being in water really helps me to consciously connect. :black_heart:

Perhaps! Iā€™m not sure what thatā€™s meant to feel like. But if thatā€™s what it is, then itā€™s pretty nice. Iā€™ve heard it be hyped up as something to be afraid of, but that was anything but. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Ah, so I found this page with cacao recipes:

The main takeaway from this is that there are two levels of doses. A daily amount and a ceremonial amount (which is about 2Ɨ the daily amount).

(And it seems Iā€™ve only tried the daily amount so far!)

This is also a very good point:

We also recommend taking notes on how your body responds to different amounts, as every body is different.

So, for optimal results, we should be tracking how much we take and how it affects us, and adjusting as necessary. :black_heart:

And hereā€™s just another article on what a ceremony is:

7 Likes

Iā€™ll double dose when I get mine raw and see what happens :laughing:

8 Likes

Just donā€™t overdo it. :crazy_face:

Iā€™m on a daily dose again.

I thought I would experiment by adding a small teaspoon of mesquite powder to enhance the flavour since itā€™s not that pleasant on its own. Mesquite powder has a low GI and can help to stabilise blood sugar levels, so I figured that would make it safe to add. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Mesquite powder or ā€˜flourā€™ is made by grinding the tree-ripened seed pods of the Mesquite tree, a relative of Acacias that grows in southern America.

Mesquite has been a staple food of many Native American people for thousands of years. This single origin powder from Peru is certified organic and fair trade. It is made using the whole seed pod and contains no additives.

Mesquite has an absolutely delightful flavour and aroma ā€“ naturally sweet, slightly nutty with yummy caramel notes. Enjoy it in dessert and baking recipes, raw food treats, hot and cold beverages, sprinkled on breakfast cereals, or in sauces and marinades. - https://lovingearth.net/our-products/superfoods/mesquite-powder.html

Mesquite is considered to be one of the most effective foods tested for maintaining stable blood sugar levels. The sweetness of mesquite comes from fructose which the body can process without insulin. Mesquite is also a rich source of soluble fibres which slow down the absorption of nutrients thus avoiding the ā€˜spikeā€™ usually followed by eating bread or other wheat products. This makes it a sweetener with an incredibly low Glycemic Index. - All About Superfoods - Part 2

I might also try lucuma powder sometime. Not sure. So far the mesquite powder is nice.

8 Likes

Okay, with 2/2 dosages of thisā€¦ I can confirm that this does something wonderful for the mood. However, there are some variables to consider. I am well-rested and was calm before entering this, I have not eaten solid food in eight hours, I avoid sugar, and the only caffeine I consume is in whatever teas I drink. (No more than one caffeinated tea per day.) Also, even though the sun is in the sky again, a storm just blew through the area, so thereā€™s probably a lot of energy around.

And one more thingā€¦ These feelings have come on much more strongly after Iā€™ve lit some elemental candles, so perhaps keep that in mind. It might not be directly related to the elements, but a part of the ritual that involves lighting candles and meditating or focusing on this moment of peace at hand.

All I feel right now is appreciation for the world and especially those I have in my life. I want to hug my partner and hug my cats, and tell them how much I appreciate what theyā€™ve done for me and brought into my life. I want to do the same with my friends. And I want to do the same with my lovely coven.

Thereā€™s beautiful instrumental Chinese music playing in the background, the warmth and light of four candles nearby, and a nice seat beneath me. Wait. Why am I just noticing now how comfortable it is to sit?

Iā€™m comfortable swaying to do the music, but I am not energised enough to dance. Again, however, this is a daily, not ceremonial, dose, and it includes some other ingredients, too. Anywayā€¦

Happy evening to you all.

10 Likes

That sounds so sweet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I appreciate you too, and you sharing these experiences we can live through you, and all the insightful and open-hearted commentary :black_heart:

If this plant spirit had astrological signs, Cancer and Taurus are the first ones Iā€™m thinking of. Warmth, comfort and slowness.

I fell in love with the aesthetic of that movie too :black_heart: And feel the same about water :blush: Anything to do with drowning is really terrifying to me though.

Iā€™ve only heard that itā€™s something the ego is afraid of, in the sense a dictator would fear losing their power. Sure some of the experiences getting there can be terrifying, but not all. The end result always seems to be much like yours, deeply feeling the oneness of everything, and at peace, freed from the illusion of being any less than the totality of everything.

I might have to start weighing my cacao :joy:

I like this reminder, while it makes sense itā€™s easy to forget.

Time to put the lab coat on again! :sweat_smile:
But not during the ceremony itself, it has all the wrong correspondences :sweat_smile:

Interesting, Iā€™ll have to see if thatā€™s something I can get here :black_heart: The name makes me think of mescaline but probably is a very different compound :joy:

8 Likes

Ok. Can I ask a really dumb question, feel free to laugh :person_facepalming:, but I notice one of the ingredients is mystic mushrooms. I could be totally off, but my head goes into overdrive with any tea/potions that encourage visions to the point about 30 years ago I actually saw that huge spider from Lord of the rings, nearly gave me heart attack, and a shit load of juice, breathing exercises, water to flush out the tea, to get rid of it. Iā€™ve never touched even mugwort since. So just humour a nutter here, am I barking up the wrong tree. :rofl:

8 Likes

Oh, where is that? If those were the same as ā€œmagic mushroomsā€ Iā€™d be very surprised

6 Likes

Now how not to want to stay in that state forever?

The second I said this, I felt a desire to go to sleep. :laughing:

Oh my! I wish. :crazy_face:

Sorry, my bad. ā€œMystic Mushroomsā€ is the name of one of their blends. :black_heart:

Ingredients start at ā€œcacao beans.ā€

Sweet Baby Baphomet. :scream:

8 Likes

@starborn ok I get it, thankyou, thought Iā€™d ask before I try this. I can imagine what fun Loki would have if my mind went off to God knows where. :rofl:

6 Likes

True. :laughing: What an adventure you would have!

If you like, you can wait until I try those. They havenā€™t arrived yet because theyā€™re coming from overseas.

The others were local, so I got them quickly. (Apparently, theyā€™re also in Europe, so they might be easier for you to acquire, too.)

Or you could hunt some down more locally and share. I have to get to bed soon, but I can help search after I wake up.

But yeah, so far, I donā€™t think cacao will cause any visual things to happen. Itā€™s more of a relaxed happiness and peace thing, Iā€™m finding. So there shouldnā€™t be any scary things. :black_heart:

6 Likes

Enjoy your sleep. :sleeping: Thanks, Iā€™ll go a hunting. :grin:

6 Likes

Now youā€™re seeing things from my perspective! :rofl:

On the other hand heā€™d be there to protect you from any real nastiness :black_heart:

Whether heā€™d count huge spiders in that category, you know him better than I do :joy:

Iā€™m so looking forward to hearing you try the different blends! :blush:

Also I want to say here too, that the kind of cacao I had was not strictly the ceremonial kind, it had been warm processed like pretty much every kind you find in regular stores. I canā€™t say if it the processing has any effect on the theobromine, or what other compounds are part of that experience. But I did get that heart warming effect from it too. It lasted a little longer than the cup did.

5 Likes