Chest Congestion

Hi darlings!

I don’t know what is going on this year with me and my immune system, but I am sick again. Seriously? Like every time we go on a break from school and I get to stay home and rest and enjoy not school stuff, I get sick. Frankly, I’m sick of it (pun totally intended).

I’ve got a nasty chest cold. I’m doing sinus rinses with salt water, allergy meds, a nasal spray, running a humidifier, thieves oil (cloves, rosemary, lemon, eucalyptus, cinnamon… I think that’s everything). I’m taking a vitamin. I get plenty of sleep, I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink lots of warm coffee and tea… I just work in a place with more germs than most people can conceive of.

What else can I add to beat this (I really don’t want to go to the doctor again… but I’m about at that point). What am I forgetting that will help keep me healthy for the Christmas season??

I’ve been sick more this year than I have in the last 20 and I don’t like it. I just want to enjoy the fun stuff with my family and friends!

9 Likes

Schools are just cesspits of nastiness, aren’t they? :joy: I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. It’s never fun to be sick, especially around the holidays. I think there’s something going around, honestly. My two nephews (8 months and almost 8 years) have been sick for two weeks with some sort of sinus thing and a cough. It’s been really gross in my house so I feel your pain!

As for what to add, I don’t know honestly? Besides maybe a steamy shower with some eucalyptus oil steamer things or some Vicks on your chest. You can also put Vicks on the bottom of your feet with socks on if you’re coughing a lot. Don’t ask me why but it works wonders for coughs!

I hope you feel better soon! :pray:

9 Likes

Honey!! Raw honey. It actually helps with chest and throat problems. I have them a lot. You just do a spoonful and it helps boost your system. I do that daily. I double that with a multi vitamin. Supposedly green tea helps detox too.

Edit: just a thought, even though milk and cream doesn’t make it worse, it can cause mucus to thicken (which often makes my congestion coughs worse for a couple hours). I don’t know if you’re doing milk or cream.

10 Likes

I had forgotten honey! I am not a milk drinker… I do add cream to my coffee, but it’s powdered.

9 Likes

Hopefully it helps :heart:

8 Likes

Would it be rude of you to take some sort of disinfectant to work with you and wipe things down at the beginning of the shift? That might help.

Feel better soon!

9 Likes

@AileyGrey

There are some pretty bad bugs out there this year and it seems to be worse than usual.
I don’t know a lot about Young Living oils, but the Thieves blend should work similarly to the ones I’m familiar with.

BODY SYSTEMS:

Immune/Lymphatic: Oregano, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Clove, Frankincense, Cypress, Sandalwood

Respiratory: Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Douglas Fir, Cinnamon, Cardamom

~ Modern Essentials by AromaTools

I recommend diluting the oils with an oil, such as Fractionated Coconut Oil, before applying it to your skin. I would suggest you apply it to the bottoms of your feet several times during the day. Do you have a roller bottle to put it in, that would make it easier to apply?

@MeganB - “a steamy shower with some eucalyptus oil”

@Melora_Fae “Raw honey … helps with chest and throat problems … milk and cream … cause mucus to thicken”

You have already received some good advice from Megan and Melissa! I would avoid the "powered milk in your coffee, it’s better to drink clear liquids. Peppermint tea sweetened with honey would give the benefits of both.

When I am sick, I also take Garlic caps or tabs. Garlic is a natural antibiotic, as well as Oregano. I have asthma, so any cold seems to go into my lungs, so I do avoid milk because it thickens the mucus.

I just wanted to share a few ideas with you! I’m so glad you are using essential oils, they are little miracle workers. I hope you feel better soon!

Keeping you in my prayers, and sending you love :heart: and healing :dizzy:

9 Likes

I forgot to add. Some teachers, offices, schools, etc. use essential oils in a diffuser. So if you get a diffuser and use a few drops of Thieves in it and diffuse it in your classroom, it will help everyone who’s sick and may even prevent some from getting sick! Just a suggestion . . . Let me know if you any questions.

7 Likes

I recommend one of these 3 herbal teas…all good for chest congestion and cough…licorice root tea, marshmallow root tea, or thyme tea.

Hope you’re feeling better soon!

8 Likes

@AileyGrey oh hon im so sorru are sick. Several of thr teas ive posted would help u. Plus my migraine oil, its like vicks vapor rub without the mess, is great for sinus issues especially when trying to sleep.

I use a little on my chest everytime i get any kind of cold.

7 Likes

Things are sort of starting to break up… and today’s mission is to rest and heal. I’ll see if I can search for some of your recipes and if I have the ingredients on hand!

I have an addiction to Vicks… I use it all the time, whether I am sick or not! I’m definitely interested in this migraine oil!

Cheers!

8 Likes

Totally not rude at all. I teach first grade so I am constantly disinfecting and wiping things down. I just inhabit space with about 500 germ infested kids who definitely do not share the same standards of cleanliness that I do! It’s an occupational hazard. I’ve been teaching nearly 20 years, so I usually don’t catch much (I’ve been exposed to EVERYTHING), but this year, I seem to be picking up every germ I encounter! Covid, flu, upper respiratory, stomach bugs. I have pretty rotten allergies, so that always takes me down when the seasons change too. The good news is that my immune system is going to be robust again after all this mess, but that sentiment sure doesn’t make being sick much more fun!

7 Likes

I do have a diffuser in my room. I’ll definitely run it on Monday.

8 Likes

Thank you! I have been drinking lots of peppermint tea. I had an orange with a peppermint tucked inside last night too. It was heavenly! And I’ll go heavy on the garlic this weekend! I love garlic. Maybe that will give me the push I need to kick this.

And that should have said powdered cream… it’s the non dairy creamer powder. Gotta have at least one cup of coffee in the morning. It’s really more for the sake of others than me! LOL

7 Likes

Hello, I am glad to see you are starting to take a turn for the better.

Honey and onion mixture. I had so many lung issues when I was little and my doctor told me I would get bronchitis every year. I don’t. I used:
Honey and onion- chop onion, I put solid honey on top of chopped onion in a bowl. Cover and put in fridge. I took a teaspoon of that mixture a couple of times a day until starting to feel better. Really helps break up the mucus.
Also did licorice root tea (careful if you have high blood pressure )
I also drink real lemon, honey and ginger tea. Nice chunks of ginger. And when I want to kick it up a notch I add in a dash of cayenne pepper.

I also use Watkins (like Vicks as Megan suggested).

I think this year is hard because we have been masked so long or avoiding people for so long. Now our immune systems are needing to get acclimatized again.

9 Likes

Hi, I know late to the party but my husband has congestion issues, especially during allergy seasons & the changing of seasons.

I have a blend that I use in our room diffuser for that though & it seems to help him rest through the night a lot better:

• Eucalyptus
  • Tea Tree Oil
  • Spearmint or Wintergreen (sometimes I use both)
  • Lavender

Also, you make an Herbal Steam Bag for use in the shower or bath & you can also add the ingredients to a bowl of steaming hot water with a towel over your head like a tent & breathe it in for a few minutes… I put the herbs in a mesh bag & hang it from the shower head or put it in the bottom where the hot water will hit it when I use it in the bathroom:

• Eucalyptus Leaves
  • Stinging Nettle
  • Peppermint
  • With a few drops of Wintergreen Essential Oil

Also now I make a Cold & Flu blend of tea:

• Peppermint
  • Elder Flower
  • Rose Hips
  • Ginger
  • Anise Seed
  • Thyme
  • Yarrow
  • Calendula

(The Herbal Steam & Cold/Flu Tea recipes came from Tamed Wild, but they work really well for congestion & colds so I have continued to make them & use them for myself & my husband)

7 Likes

Children are cute but they are plague carriers, that’s for sure. Maybe some elderberry supplements to help your immune system? Might help.

7 Likes

@AileyGrey

Migraine oil

25 drops of either Rosemary or Lavender (as this will be your primary scent)
10 drops ylang ylang
10 drops eucalyptus
10 drops peppermint
10 drops frankincense

Add to a roller bottle and fill remainder with your choice of carrier oil. This blend can also be used in a diffuser

9 Likes

sounds amazing! I have everything except the ylang ylang which I can pick up soon!

8 Likes

You all are wonderful! I am writing all of these things down and ordering some things to have on hand so that the next time I’m down for the count (and there will definitely be a next time!), I’ll be ready! I had a weird night last night, but I have definitely turned a corner. I’m hoping a day of rest and garlic, honey, peppermint tea (I have licorice too!), some fresh oranges, and plenty of naps is going to set me right! Love you all so much!

9 Likes