Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies

It’s National Chocolate Covered Anything Day! So I went and found these cookies to celebrate the day.

The notes at the top say to use real chocolate chips in the frosting, otherwise, it won’t bake right. You put the frosting on over the cherries before you bake, that way it can bake and melt down all ooey-gooey over the cookie. YUM!

Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies

prep: 30 mins
bake: 10 mins at 350°
Servings: 48

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup butter or margarine softened
1 cup of sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
48 undrained maraschino cherries (about one 10-ounce jar)
1 (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces (not imitation)
½ cup sweetened condensed milk

Directions:

Step 1

In a mixing bowl combine flour and cocoa; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for about 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until well combined. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.

Step 2

Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Press down the center of each ball with your thumb. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie. In a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice.

Step 3

Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the frosting over each cherry on the unbaked cookie, spreading to cover cherry. (Frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice, if necessary.)

Step 4

Bake in 350°F oven for about 10 minutes or until done. Remove to wire rack; cool. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Makes 48 cookies.

Nutritional Facts:

Per Serving:
81 calories; total fat 3g; saturated fat 1g; cholesterol 11mg; sodium 45mg; carbohydrates 12g; protein 1g; vitamin a 21RE; calcium 10mg; iron 0mg.

5 Likes

Oh my daughter loves cherries! Maybe to add to our baking festivities we will make these too. Just don’t mention it to her or we will be making them now :rofl:

1 Like

A perfect recipe for a very chocolately day, @Amethyst! :yum::chocolate_bar: Hope everyone is having/had a wonderful chocolate covered anything day :laughing:

I admit I skipped the ‘anything’ part and have just been eating straight up chocolate :rofl:

For all the chocolate-loving witches out there, this could be a great opportunity to work some Chocolate Magick too! :sparkles:

I figured you’d like these. And they look so yummy! I hope Peanut likes them!

I’m craving chocolate now. LOL. Glad you liked the recipe love!

2 Likes

@Amethyst I will let you know! I think we are going to be doing a lot of baking this weekend!

2 Likes

Cool! Be careful of your hand though love! Don’t want to mess it up even more. Enjoy the cookies!

2 Likes

I’m actually going to the Dr today about it. I can’t do anything with it & not cry out in pain when it first hits. It’s a very intense pain that nothing is touching.

2 Likes

I saw your post where you went to the doctor. I hope it feels better soon with the brace on. Sending you lots of love! :purple_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I love my coven family. :love_letter:

2 Likes

You’re welcome love! We love you back! :purple_heart:

2 Likes