After talking about light and dark chocolate in this discussion here, I was curious! Chocolate is delicious and seems to help cheer us up when we are down… but does it actually have any medicinal benefits? How about magickal benefits?
Let’s find out!
Chocolate: Medicinal Properties
There are a plethora of articles, studies, and discussions out there breaking down the potential harm vs. gain when it comes to the health benefits of chocolate.
Most studies conclude what most of us already know:
- Milk chocolate contains more sugar and fat than dark chocolate. As a general rule, the more sugar and fat something has, the less healthy it is.
- A bit of chocolate (of any kind) here and there as part of a healthy lifestyle is a-okay!
But what sets chocolate apart from the other snacks in the junk food aisle? How is chocolate different from a bag of chips or gummy bears?
The article Health Benefits and Risks of Chocolate in Medical News Today shares a few other medicinal benefits that set chocolate apart from other snack competitors:
- Chocolate is high in antioxidants, which are associated with health benefits
- Eating chocolate may help to lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and prevent cognitive decline
- One study showed that chocolate may have the ability to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke
[Above information sourced from Health Benefits and Risks of Chocolate]
Have you ever felt sad, had a few bites of chocolate, and felt your mood increase? This is another benefit of chocolate- it can also help to improve your mood!
The article Why Does Chocolate Make Us Happy? from the University of California: Berkley’s Safer Health site breaks it down:
The Center for Human Pharmacology at the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia performed a study in which it was determined that certain components of chocolate improved mood and others altered brain patterns. These components is likely tryptophan, which is an amino acid found in chocolate that helps the brain make serotonin, a neurotransmitter that makes us feel happy and satisfied.
Other components of chocolate that may contribute to a burst of happiness are phenylethylalanine and theobromine. Phenylethylalanine is a natural acting antidepressant and produces the same feelings one may experience when falling in love, such as increased heart rate, alertness, and motivation. Theobromine simulates a high, like that of cannabis, but at a much lower level, thereby producing a relaxing effect and relieving stress.
Other studies have hypothesized that the act of eating is just a way to cope with stress; the fact that dark chocolate is palatable is what makes it a better coping mechanism than other substances.
[From the article Why Does Chocolate Make Us Happy? from the University of California: Safer Health Site]
There are chemical components in chocolate that help to make us feel better. So whether you are suffering from menstrual cramps, had a bad day, or are feeling stressed- you might consider a little chocolate to cheer you up!
The Magick of Chocolate
It addition to its potential medicinal and mood-affecting benefits, chocolate also has magickal properties
- White Chocolate : Friendship, Self-love, Fun
- Milk Chocolate : Friendship, Self-love, Nurturing, Love, Balance, Fun, Raises emotional energy
- Dark Chocolate : Love, Romance, Grounding, Prosperity
- Cacao Nibs : Grounding, Prosperity, Ancestors
[From the article Magickal Properties of Chocolate from Plentiful Earth]
The above article also notes that White, Milk, and Dark Chocolate are tied to the heart chakra.
Chocolate is a sweetening agent and can be used in many sweetening spells. While honey is perhaps the most common sweetening agent, if you don’t have any on hand chocolate is a great substitute.
Looking for chocolate magick? Here are a few ideas:
- Chocolate Love Charm by @laura6
- Sweetening Jar Spell
- 3 Chocolate Spells: Self-Love, Successful Date, and Leaving an Ex by Nomad Tarot on YouTube:
Have you ever used chocolate for magick?
- No, but I’d like to try
- No, and it’s not for me
Whether you love chocolate for its medicinal, magickal, or just plain tasty delights- enjoy!
Blessed be and happy snacking