December 2023 ✨ Collective Reading Check-In

We’ve made it! December is here, and we are that much closer to ringing the bells of the New Year. This year has been one thing right after another; everything has culminated to this moment, whether we like it or not, and it’s almost time to reflect back on the last 12 months. Before we do that, though, we have one more month to make it through.

December is generally a month of joy and frivolity. Christmas music plays all month long, and the weather changes as we hit the peak of winter (or summer!) and see the return of the sun (or bid the sun farewell) on the Solstice. This period of light in the darkness is one I have personally struggled with. Winter is hard for me - though I find solace in the darkness, it is also a time of isolation as my family life has shifted over the years. I hope that this month I can take some time to find that light and hold Brighid’s fire in my heart.

So, without further rambling on my part, keep reading to see what December has in store for us as a collective!

If you need a refresher for our collective reading, you can find that here → Peering into 2023 :tarot_card: Collective Tarot Reading. If you are new here, this is a periodic divinatory reading I do to shine a light on the collective reading that I do at the beginning of the year. The cards pulled here for the next month are a reflection and check-in with the relevant card from the yearly reading.

Was November Relevant?

Let’s take a minute to look at November’s collective reading card and update, just to see what was relevant. Then we can move on to this month’s check-in and the cards I will pull.

November 2023: Five of Swords :sword_tarot:

The look on this person’s face is one of smugness. Your pride is showing and conflicts will be abundant again. This month, though, these conflicts are external. Things may turn into a competition and you will feel the need to win no matter what, even at the cost of your relationships with the people you care about. Don’t let your pride get in the way! There is a vast difference between not arguing for the sake of keeping peace and arguing just so you can get the last word. Find a middle ground and don’t argue just to argue.

Read more: Five of Swords – Spells8

The three cards I pulled as the update for November were Page of Cups (left), King of Pentacles (right), and Queen of Wands.

This reading called us to check our pride and call on our inner courage and passion. We were asked to look inward at ourselves in reflection. We were also tasked with peering outward and reaching out to those we may be able to help. If we were successful in embodying the courage we needed, our pride would be spared (mostly) and we would be better equipped to lead those who would follow us.

So… I am not going to lie to you… I had such a struggle with my personal pride this month. My pride was wounded, but my inner child was also provoked on more than one occasion. I struggled this month to see the difference between pride for my adult self versus protection and healing for my inner child. Though my personal pride got in the way a bit, I feel like I did personally embody the energy of the Queen of Wands.

I won’t go into too much detail because that is not the point of this post, but just know that if you also struggled in November, you did not struggle alone!

If you want to refresh your memory of the November reading, click here!

:sparkles: This month, we are looking at the month of December!

As a reminder, the collective reading for the month of December has us looking at Seven of Swords Reversed.

December 2023: Seven of Swords Reversed :sword_tarot:

We are ending the year on a low-ish note, it seems. So much will happen over 2023 that we will either feel like an imposter at the end or we will be lying to ourselves about something we experienced. This card also suggests that we may be hiding our true thoughts and feelings from ourselves or those we care about. We should not bypass our emotions for the sake of keeping the peace, either. It is very important to be honest with ourselves and those we care about. Otherwise, we may end up internalizing our secrets and being even more miserable.

Read more: Seven of Swords - Spells8

With this card in mind, I took three deep breaths and pulled three more cards to give us some more guidance on where December is headed. This month, I used Somnia Tarot.

Three tarot cards lay on a tan carpet background. From left to right, the cards are as follows: Nine of Swords Reversed, Queen of Swords, and Eight of Swords.

Before I get into the reading itself, I should have known that using my Somnia Tarot would 100% wreck my reading and call us all out… this deck is good at that, and I can already tell without getting into the full interpretation that I will not like it. I mean, I never like it when I pull all sword cards!

What has changed? - Nine of Swords Reversed

Rather than focusing on the Seven of Swords Reversed from the original reading, the Nine of Swords Reversed points not toward secrets but toward release. The Seven of Swords Reversed called into question our honesty, implying that we would be keeping secrets from those we care about. Secrets are not necessarily a bad thing, but when they are kept to the detriment of others, our ethics are then called into question.

Instead, the Nine of Swords Reversed flips that around and asks us to let go of whatever worry we were holding on to. Our secrets don’t need to be kept quiet. Though we may feel very conflicted about sharing our inner world, we need to remember that those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. The people who care about us are there to help us through the difficult moments. Let go of the anxiety and fear you may be holding on to in favor of offloading your burdens to those you trust (with their permission, of course!)

What has stayed the same? Queen of Swords

It is just as clear now as it has been all year - clear communication is important. Setting boundaries is important. That does not change this month, and the Queen of Swords brings her energy to the month of December to guide you forward. See how she holds the sword steady and strong? She sits on her throne with no hesitation. She is sure of herself, trusting in her instincts and her ability to move forward without bias. Her outstretched hand holds what looks like a blindfold, yet she is facing the direction of the past. Remove your blindfold and take your own throne with strength. You are the ruler of your life - act like it.

What should we keep in mind? Eight of Swords

Decision fatigue is a real thing. This month, you may be faced with many different obstacles and choices to be made. Remember that everything is in your mind right now. Everything around you is a product of your own thoughts. The negativity you have allowed to take up space in your mind can make you feel trapped. It is your responsibility to remove these obstacles. There is no room for this negativity, and if you feel hindered by these thoughts and your current mindset, yet you make no movement to solve it, you relinquish the right to play the victim.

Just as a reminder…

:star: The Card of the Year: The Seven of Rods

• conflict, protecting what you’ve worked for, passionate disagreements

:star: Goals of 2023: Justice Reversed

• lack of balance, unfair treatment, honesty with others

:star: Obstacles of 2023: The Sun

• keeping the peace, complacency, people pleasing, avoiding confrontation

Putting it together…

As I said at the start, I hate that the reading has been all swords. Literally… the card I pulled for this month a full year ago was a sword card. Now, I end the year the same way – three more sword cards! The entire reading makes sense to me, though. We were originally warned against keeping secrets from those we care about. Carrying secrets is a heavy burden, one that we have to remember exactly or we can trip ourselves up. Now, a whole year later, secrets are still playing a role this month. However, it is the Nine of Swords Reversed that reminds us that secrets are not always a good thing. These secrets can be the death of us, causing us to feel overwhelmed and burdened with something much heavier than we can bear on our own. When we have trusted friends and a good support system, there should be no need to carry the weight of our world on our own.

The last two cards of my check-in play together in their imagery. The Queen of Swords has removed a blindfold from someone we cannot see. The Eight of Swords sees a blindfolded woman facing away from us surrounded by swords. The cards tell a story - the Queen sits on her throne behind the blindfolded woman, beckoning her to remove her blindfold and stand in her strength. This is what we need to remember this month. When you feel weak and unable to move forward, embody the Queen of Swords. When you feel like playing the victim, or when you find yourself surrounded by negative thinking, remember the Eight of Swords.

We can control most of what happens in our lives. Yes, there will always be things out of control, circumstances we were born into or forced into, but one thing we can always control is our thoughts. Though they may begin with a negative mindset, our thoughts can be changed. One facet of spirituality is this: our thoughts create our reality, and even if we don’t follow the Law of Attraction, a negative mindset has an unwanted effect on our self-esteem, our confidence, and even our practices as pagans and witches.

Watch your mindset. Watch your thoughts. Watch your secrets.

What do you think?

Do you have any insight to share from the collective reading? And how do you think December is going to go? The next post in this series will be a look back at the entire year right before I do the reading for 2024 - are you excited?! I can’t believe it’s already been an entire year!

If you want to do your own reading for the month, you can find the current infographic below. I also have a blog post that goes into more detail about each card in the layout. You can find that post by clicking here .

I also have a video that details how I use this spread!

Tarot for the New Month || A Simple Four Card Tarot Spread! [CC] - YouTube

10 Likes

Well, why not end the year on a bang eh. So much upheaval and chaos for me so far, who’d have thought I started out a committed Christian and ended the year having seances with demons :rofl:. No secrets on my end though, but a whole load of shadow work has been done this year to bring alot out into the open, so maybe that could be classed as secrets, but who knows what 2024 will bring with Loki behind the wheel. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

I thought I might as well try giving it a go.

What is the theme of the month?

The King of Wands, with his marigold in hand and a field of flowers at his feet, is a symbol of drama, authority, power, and unapologetic self-expression. His presence is as undeniable as the vivid, golden marigold he holds – a flower known for its resilience and beauty.

The overarching theme seems to be one of bold action and vibrant expression. This is not a time for half-measures or timid steps. December beckons with opportunities that demand not just participation but leadership and initiative. It’s a call to embrace our power, to step forward into the limelight, not out of arrogance, but from a place of confidence and self-assuredness.

Marigolds symbolise creativity, passion, and perseverance in many cultures. They are flowers that thrive in various conditions, resilient and bright. They suggest the theme of December is also about endurance and the ability to adapt, finding our inner strength and vibrancy.

Moreover, the simplicity of the King’s attire, juxtaposed with his dramatic and authoritative demeanour, hints at an important lesson: substance over form. December may call for me to step up, to be seen and heard, but it also reminds me that true authority and influence come from character, not just outward appearances or titles.

What events or ideas are influencing me this month?

The Six of Swords is associated with transition, symbolising growth and evolution following challenges or hardships. The machete, a practical and adaptable tool, further suggests a time when utility, adaptability, and pragmatic approaches will be important.

In December, I may find myself embarking on journeys, not only physical travels but significant movements in my life. These journeys may be inward, prompting introspection and personal growth or manifest as changes in my external circumstances, leading me to new environments or situations. The theme of this card is transition, indicating that these changes are necessary steps in my evolution and growth.

The machete speaks to a personality that is ready to adapt, to use what is available in the most effective way possible. This suggests that my approach to the events and ideas of December should be grounded in practicality. I might need to cut through complexities or navigate through situations using my wits and resources.

Moreover, the Six of Swords often signifies moving from difficulty to a more peaceful state. This indicates that the influences I encounter in December could stem from recent experiences of overcoming challenges or navigating through tough times. The lessons learned, and the resilience gained from these experiences will significantly shape how I approach the new situations I encounter.

What roadblocks may get in the way for me this month?

The King of Swords, with his sword braced before him and surrounded by symbols of power and remembrance, embodying authority, integrity, intellect, and fortitude, suggests that challenges may arise not from external sources, but from within the realms of decision-making, communication, and the exercise of power and intellect.

A roadblock that might present itself is the potential for becoming overly analytical in situations where intuition or emotional intelligence might be more beneficial. The King of Swords is a figure of logic and reason, but these strengths, when overemphasised, can lead to a disconnect from the emotional aspects of a situation. This could result in challenges in personal relationships or decisions that require a balance of heart and mind.

Another hurdle could be related to the exercise of authority and power, as symbolised by the thyme at the King’s side. In some situations, asserting my authority or standing my ground becomes necessary, but finding the right balance between assertiveness and diplomacy will be crucial. The risk here is either being too passive, thereby losing respect and authority, or being too rigid, which could lead to conflicts or strained relationships.

The presence of pansies, symbolising remembrance, hints at another possible obstacle: being held back by past experiences or memories. There’s a risk of getting stuck in previous patterns of thinking or being influenced by past events, which might hinder my ability to make clear, objective decisions or embrace new opportunities fully.

Moreover, the King’s stillness, as opposed to the dynamic gestures of the Knight and Queen, suggests a potential roadblock in the form of inaction or reluctance to adapt to changing circumstances. While the King of Swords is a figure of stability and consistency, these qualities can sometimes lead to resistance to change or a lack of flexibility.

What are the possibilities for the month?

The Knight of Rings, with his chakram and the backdrop of neem leaves, embodies duality, representing the virtues and vices of dedication and responsibility. The chakram, a weapon that can both protect and harm, and the dual nature of neem leaves, symbolising practicality and potential danger, sets a tone of balance and caution for the month ahead.

In December, I may find opportunities that require a high degree of dedication and hard work. The Knight of Rings embodies the spirit of unwavering commitment, suggesting that tasks or projects undertaken during this period could benefit greatly from my focused and sustained effort. This could be a time to dig into my responsibilities, applying myself with seriousness and diligence that befits the Knight’s ethos.

However, just as the chakram is a weapon of dual purpose, my commitment could become a double-edged sword. There’s a possibility of becoming too rigid or inflexible in my approaches, which could lead to missed opportunities or strained relationships. The Knight of Rings asks for a balance in commitment – being steadfast but not unyielding.

The neem leaves, known for their many uses, symbolise the practical and beneficial aspects of my efforts. However, the warning of its potential toxicity when overused mirrors the caution against overcommitment or rigidity in my pursuits. It suggests being mindful of the risks of taking on too much or adhering too strictly to certain methods or ideologies.

Conclusion

There are some clear correlations between this reading and what’s happening in our lives. Our imminent move marks not just a physical relocation, but a significant shift in our lives and possessions. There is also some guidance obviously relating to my work.

I’m also emotionally exhausted. I feel a sense of loss… Some irritation. Don’t worry – this, too, shall pass. I just need time and respite from social situations that require me to behave differently from what I’m comfortable with.

Meanwhile, December brings its own challenges… It’s a month I’m striving to reclaim as my own alongside my partner. For too long, it’s been shadowed by memories of time spent with cruel people and being forced to be pleasant towards them. Fortunately, we haven’t lived with them since 2020, so I don’t need to hear any more “kill them with kindness” advice.

I considered getting a Christmas tree, but I’ve since realised that I might be trying too hard to find value in something we don’t care for. It’s nice to actively acknowledge this and let go of any desire to conform to a tradition that doesn’t resonate with either of us.

Anyway, my immediate focus is clear: to regain my energy. Once I’ve replenished my reserves, I can then turn my attention to what lies ahead…

7 Likes

I mean… that’s one way of putting it :joy: It immediately brought to mind this line from Disney’s movie Atlantis :joy:

Atlantis Vinny GIF - Atlantis Vinny Sign GIFs; Vinny says, "It was like a sign from God. I found myself in that boom."
[GIF from tenor]

Your journey on your path has been a wonderful thing to witness, if I do say so myself! You’ve found yourself this year, even amidst all the chaos. It seems that’s just where you fit!

Your pictures are always so pretty :heart_eyes: Gods, I can’t wait until I can get my things set back up! Anyway… :joy: that’s just me being envious of you right now lol even though I know you’re going through a move just like I am!

In a practical sense, Marigolds also help keep pests out of your garden! I think this ties in well with your interpretation. Things are growing around you, and everything is working in its power to keep “pests” out of your growing abundance!

I’m not going to give you any advice on this, just offer hugs (if you want) and let you know that I know exactly what you’re talking about. We are leaving a situation similar here with our move. My partner and I, along with our child, haven’t lived on our own in almost seven years. It was our own choice, one that I felt compelled to make for multiple reasons. However, as we get older (and our child gets older), it has become very apparent to me that the reasons I felt compelled to make these choices was out of a trauma response and not logic. Anyway… :joy: you’re not alone, and I hope your December is full of happiness for you and your partner in whatever way that looks for you!

6 Likes

Thank you! :black_heart: The cards do all the work for me, though. :laughing: I have a velvet cape/cloak that I lay over my desk and keyboard that I place them on. Take a photo with my phone and then throw on a preset I made in Lightroom.

And every so often I have to use one of those sticky rollers to get all the cat hairs off the cloak. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Preset details

Oh! Thank you. I need to add this to my notes. :black_heart:

…I might also try buying some when we move. I’ve managed to kill every plant I’ve tried to care for, but fourth time’s the charm?? :laughing:

It seems we’re in a similar boat. We moved out at around the exact eight-year mark. (Off by about a week.) And we had a similar mindset that kept us there in the first place. But I finally broke down under it all, my partner realised how bad it really was, and we finally left.

:people_hugging: :black_heart: Love ya, sis. I hope your move goes well.

6 Likes

@starborn @MeganB Second that. Happy and successful moves for you both :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

You’re welcome! I’ve never used Lightroom - I always thought it was a paid app :sweat_smile: but I think I figured out how to use it for free. Thanks for sharing your preset! And I fully relate to the cat hair thing :joy: even with all my black clothes, I still never learn to keep a lint roller around.

haha you can do it! :crossed_fingers: I have faith in you (and the marigolds could definitely help!)

Thank you - love ya, too! :heart: I hope your move goes well, too. It sounds like it’s going to be a healing process for both of us, too :joy:

Thank you, Tracy! :heart:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 19 days. New replies are no longer allowed.