Discoveries and Exploring

Last week I found my way to looking into my ancestry. Turns out I’m Welsh-Irish, Norweigan, and German. Found some interesting facts out about my ancestors, a few rebellious ones (against the Whigs and Churches), and one signer of the declaration of independence.
Yesterday my family and I went exploring Edisto Beach here in SC, never been before, beautiful isolated feel to it btw, and found a few shark teeth and what I hope to be a hag stone. Also got to watch a few dolphins making their way in the ocean. Let me know if you think im right…:blush:. ! IMG_20200823_165127_992|500x500

5 Likes

7 Likes

Wow thats amazing that you’ve found out your heritage. I found mine too on Ancestry. I like the bottom sharks tooth bc it looks like you can use it as a pendant. Those pictures are gorgeous! I’d love to be anywhere right now besides home with an ungrateful family who yells and argues over petty nonsense. Ive gotta learn how to drive

5 Likes

I’m so jealous!! I don’t think I’ve ever found a shark tooth! :shark:

There are certain cultures where teeth were a symbol of status as a warrior, because of the number of teeth you lost in battle. :tooth:

I can definitely see shark teeth in a jar spell for assertiveness or success, as a symbol of fierceness and power.

6 Likes

Beautiful pics and great finds, @Rowan! :heart_eyes: Your ocean friends could definitely be dolphins, or maybe some friendly seals! :dolphin: That’s so exciting you were exploring your ancestry as well- it looks like you were able to reveal a lot about your heritage! :open_book: :star_struck: Do you think you’ll ever make a trip someday over to where your family came from? :airplane:

3 Likes

Thank you. Its funny most of the time if my family and I go with intentions of finding some little treasure I’m usually the one who finds it. We all had something we intended to find that day…me a hag stone, my husband and youngest daughter wanted to find sharks teeth, and my oldest daughter wanted to see a turtle. I found the hag-stones and the teeth, but my oldest daughter spotted the dolphins.
It’s always been my hearts wish to go to Ireland, I’ve always loved everything about it. One day I will go.
:wink:

3 Likes

I love Ancestry.com, I’ve been working on my ancestors for several years now! It is a lot of fun. What I find most amazing is the shear number of people it took to make me!

3 Likes

I had my DNA done for MyHeritage and for Ancestry. I am Irish, Italian, English, German, and from the Balkans. I have the founder of the mennonite church in my history, his house is a historical museum in PA. I have a gold medalist in track in my family too. A lot of military and reverends/priests in my family too. That is just my mother’s side. She never got hers done and I wish she would, but I do have my father’s and my daughter’s.

3 Likes

You’ve been blessed with good luck, sharp eyes, or perhaps both! :grin: I’m glad the beach trip brought so many fun treasures and happy moments with your family :two_hearts:

Ireland is lovely- so lush and green! :shamrock: I only spent a few days in Dublin passing through, but even there the old architecture and charm is evident. It’s a lovely place- I hope you have the chance to go someday! :blush: Do you think you’d make it a family trip, or fly solo? :airplane:

First things first- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @wendy4! :cake::two_hearts: I hope you have a happy and blessed birthday :blush:

And I absolutely agree! Thinking about each person down the line through history, coming together against all odds- their hopes, dreams, and story- all leading to this very moment. History and heritage are so fascinating to think about! :open_book: :heart_eyes:

Wow, you have so many interesting people in your family history! :heart_eyes: My parents have both done the sample test to find their history with MyHeritage, but my sister and I haven’t done it yet! :test_tube: My family has a few books passed down with our written history, but it seems like many people here recommend Ancestry- so I’m curious to see what they have about my history! :books: :star_struck:

1 Like

I just found mine out today

I also look forward to incorporating my heritage into my practice.

I love welsh culture too i lived their briefly in cardiff beautiful place would love to visit again. I miss the welsh cakes i used to get on my way to work

5 Likes

@BryWisteria I have a book about the line for the Mennonite church founder. It starts with him and goes all the way to the 1940s.

That’s awesome @kira-marie! I love getting the results back and then peeking at them every so often to see if there are anymore matches to my family.

4 Likes

Did you ever chat to any of the matches?

3 Likes

I have spoken to a couple of them and other matches were relatives that I already have a connection with, it’s fun to find people that are somehow related from different parts of the country or the world.

4 Likes

That’s awesome, @kira-marie! :heart_eyes: It’s amazing how it’s so specific- it can trace your family ties even within the region, and it gives you percentages too! A very neat discovery! :+1: Welsh cakes sound delicious :drooling_face::two_hearts: Are they sweet cakes, or more savory?

And wow- I love when history is recorded like that! I think it’s wonderful you have the book for your records, @Susurrus :open_book: :two_hearts: That’s amazing you can connect with your matches around the world! What a fun way to start a conversation- finding new family across the globe :earth_americas::blush:

3 Likes

traditionally their sweet their kind of like a scone and cake in one traditionally they have sultanas in them and dusted with a little sugar but you can get all sorts of flavours. you make them on a griddle pan and eat them while their still warm. their totally addictive i shall have to find a recipe and see if i can recreate here in oz as i do really miss them. terrible for the waistline but fuck it their so worth it excuse my french lol. my mates and i joke were poised and potty mouthed

4 Likes

So far I have met people from NY and RI, I know there are some in Italy that I haven’t talked to yet. I should get back to researching my family sometime soon. It will help me go through some time when I have it. Especially in the morning when everyone else is asleep.

3 Likes

How accurate are these things? I love learning about my ancestry but this needs to be more specific!

4 Likes

Wow i can see your frustration mine was a touch more but even then i wanted more details lol. Its supposed to be quite accurate. Hmm maybe another company might be more detailed?

2 Likes

They sound delicious~ I’m drooling at the thought of Welsh cakes :drooling_face::two_hearts: What do you usually like to put on them? Butter, jam, or maybe even chocolate/Nutella? Hahaha I can absolutely see how they aren’t the best diet-wise, but hey! Gotta treat yourself time to time, right!? :joy: :+1:

Oh my goodness, Francisco- that’s a good chunk of the world that your ancestors came from! :laughing::earth_americas: I think @kira-marie has a good idea- maybe try another company to cross-check?

2 Likes

@BryWisteria my favourite was the choc chip and cinnamon sugar ones so delicious.

@Francisco i agree with @BryWisteria that you have a big chunk of the world their. your ancestors probably have alot of interesting stories

4 Likes