Do you treat your decks equally?

Woohoo! I love that you loved it dearie! I am soo excited for you! Much kisses & hugs to you…
:kissing_heart: :hugs: :hearts:

10 Likes

These are gorgeous cards Celestia!! :heart_eyes: You surely have a nice shining collection there! :wink: :sparkles: :tarot_card:

9 Likes

To answer your question. yes but also no. So for me, decks have to click or I will end up never touching them. this goes for gifts as well as non-gifts. The best example, that I can give would be the oracle deck I was gifted after the wildfire. It’s a beautiful deck in all. It’s called the shapeshifter deck by D.J. Conway and Sirona Knight. With illustrations by Lisa Hunt. My biggest issue is that because of the look of the cards I cannot read any of them. not a single one reads well. Sure they are well done and lovely but what is the point when they cannot be read properly because they have no calling to me. I have learned over the years that this can happen no matter what. And the best thing to do is to offer to trade the deck with someone or to gift the deck to someone new. This deck unlike the rest is kept not in the bedroom on my altar or over my head on my headboard. It’s current home is in a box on my computer desk just waiting to be traded or given to someone else. Though It is in the first new bag for cards I made a year ago.
Thus to answer your question. I respect all my decks but If it doesn’t click with me or If it gives off bad vibes its kept away from my alter after I cleanse it and banish it. For me decks that I don’t click with or cannot read cannot be used in my works as they will cause false reading and not leave me with a feeling calm after using them.

9 Likes

My current favorite is the Oak, Ash and Thorn deck and it was the first deck I purchased (pretty sure it’s a knock-off, too :upside_down_face:)

(Picture above is from the website)

Despite the fact that I have multiple other decks that I’ve gotten since (Tarot and Oracle) - it’s the one I generally feel pulled to draw from. It’s also the one that I feel like I have the most intuitive readings with!

As for why (aside from that I mentioned above) - in a lot of ways, it’s a good representation of where my mind wanders in guided meditations or my inner temple. In the woods, around peaceful animals. So every time I pull them out, I get those feel good feelings as well which helps me get more grounded before the reading!

10 Likes

Hey Bry,
I’d like to treat all my decks ‘constitutionally’, as in all decks are created equal, but I can’t.
Of the dozen-plus decks I have, Neferteri’s Tarot is my favorite.
I found it today on a Russian site, in Russian, How fun!
I don’t know the price because I can’t read Russian.

It’s always been remarkably true for me.
Garnet

8 Likes

That’s very beautifully described, that’s exactly how it works with me too. That’s why I only have a very few decks, and I have a deep connection with all of them. If there’s no connection, all they do is gather dust really, which is a shame, and I like to gift them forward too if possible. I just don’t have that many friends living close by I can personally give them to. Maybe we could have a thread here, for gifting decks and other things for the price of postage if there’s not one already I haven’t noticed.

I had an archetype deck that looked good and I loved the idea, but there just wasn’t a connection, I ended up gifting it to my therapist :sweat_smile: She sometimes uses cards in her sessions too, picking out character strengths, affirmations and such. No tarot decks as far as I know.

9 Likes

I have a different relationship with each of my decks. I like to do the deck interview when I get a new deck before I use them. So far the interviews have been accurate about how the decks treat me. Here’s a link to some interview spreads Interviewing a Tarot Deck

I gifted myself a new deck for my birthday but it is going to be delayed on arrival because of all the snow. I picked the Vikings Tarot from amazon

The viking deck I wanted was very big cards, like 5X7 size!! This one seems to be a size I can handle.

Does anyone use the giant cards and how do you shuffle them?

I have a few decks that I haven’t taken an opportunity to use yet. Mainly because they are knock offs and the books are .pdf’s. I really like cards so I’ve collected 14 decks I think.
I probably need to pass a couple on to others since I think 13 decks is probably the perfect amount LOL :rofl:

:butterfly:

9 Likes

I love larger cards my main deck is the Cthulhu dark arts tarot deck. its a 3 3/4th x 6 7/8th

10 Likes

My new Secret Language of Light cards are huge, about the size of my hand or a little larger :blush: Shuffling them hand over hand is kind of a pain (even literally! :sweat_smile:), I might have to come up with something different, like spreading them out on the table face down and shuffling them there. I’d love to hear if you have a different method! :heart:

9 Likes

Hmmm… I have a few? Several? decks that I use… not that I necessarily have a favorite though out of all of them… it’s more of a favorite for a period of time or a reading. I tend to just gravitate toward a deck & use it until I’m pulled to another deck.

I will say some are more blunt than others, but it always seems those are the decks I use when I need a blunt answer whether or not I want a blunt answer.

9 Likes

Umm okay, first of all, I need to add that deck to my wishlist because it is gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

Second, I think I do tend to pick favorites when it comes to my divination tools. I have two oracle decks and several tarot decks, a few which I don’t really use for myself.

I think my current favorite tarot deck would be my Traditional Manga Tarot :heart:

[Image from Amazon]

I picked this deck up at Books-a-Million last year, I think? And the artwork is just absolutely stunning :heart_eyes: I’m not sure why it’s my favorite, but it is currently the one I connect with the most. This is the one I use most during Freebie Fridays :laughing:

I do have some other decks that I will use when called to, but I don’t tend to use them for myself unless it’s a very specific situation and I can feel the deck pulling at me.

Oh hey, is this this Crystal Visions Tarot?! I picked this one up at a thrift store a couple years ago, couldn’t vibe with it, and now my daughter has it :laughing: I’m glad you love it though!

Oh, this deck looks super interesting! :hearts: I love that the first card shown in the review is Atlas - that’s an interesting story there!

I think this is the best thing to do if you don’t connect to a deck. I did this with the Crystal Visions Tarot I picked up at a thrift store. Granted, I gifted it to my daughter who doesn’t really use it, but hey :woman_shrugging: she’s nine :laughing: she likes the artwork and she likes to flip through it occasionally, but it definitely didn’t read well for me at all.

Ohh this deck is pretty! I love the artwork :revolving_hearts: it’s very… hmm… I can’t put a word to describe the artwork right now lol but it’s very pretty!

This is a super interesting deck, one I would never choose for myself – Egyptian and Kemetic things aren’t my jam :jar: – but I think it definitely fits you and your personality!

Hmm… :thinking: this would be an interesting thread to have, for sure! I can bring it up to the mod team if you’d like – the only thing we’d really have to worry about is safety, of course, with giving out our personal information to people on the internet :sweat_smile: though I’d like to believe that everyone here is perfectly safe!

That’s an interesting looking deck! I have two decks that have larger cards and I have to do an overhand shuffle because I can’t hold the cards in my hands correctly :laughing: I hope you can connect with you delayed birthday gift when it gets to you!

This is how my Somnia Tarot is – it’s a very blunt deck that tends to gravitate toward mental health concerns or questions lol it’s very matter-of-fact and sometimes hard to digest when I’m asking a difficult question. I mean seriously – The Tower in this deck is a person kneeling with a dollhouse on their back on fire! I rifled through the deck just to find this card :laughing:

Thank you for bringing up this thread @BryWisteria :clap: I love seeing all of these decks and are giving me new ideas for decks to collect!

10 Likes

It is! :sweat_smile: I remember faintly you might have done some readings with it here for people… it’s funny how these things go, I wouldn’t give mine away! :laughing:

Please do! :heart:
(Also for the privacy conscious who are willing to put in a little extra effort, PO boxes are a thing :wink:)

8 Likes

I completely left out my Oracle decks. I have 2 that are specific to the deities I work with… so those I only use for that purpose.

The other decks… I think my favorite is the Way of the Wild… then much like my tarot decks, its more whether I feeling drawn to them.

I have found that if I do a reading in any way for someone else, that I use my Light Seer’s Tarot.

8 Likes

It’s a very different oracle deck, giving practical advice. I’m really loving it!

8 Likes

Awwww I’m so happy you like it, Solasta! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It’s always fun to share something special with special people- if you decide to get a deck for yourself, I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have been! It is a lovely deck and I am sure it would be honored to work with someone as lovely as yourself :heart::hugs:

Lots of love and big hugs! :heartpulse:

It sounds like your wish came true! :heart_eyes: The Midnight Sky Tarot looks amazing (a round of applause to Solasta for a great recommendation! :clap::heart:)- may it be everything you are hoping for and may it serve you well! Good luck and congrats on your first tarot deck, Ailey :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What a talent! Hahaha it’s a skill I really ought to master- largely for the sake of my poor wallet! :joy: I’ve picked up quite a few decks now that are wishy-washy with readings, even despite how connected I felt with them in the store. I need to be more picky with my purchases lol.

I am loving the video reviews- it’s so helpful to see the cards being handled and how they move, if that makes any sense? Especially since there are a lot of decks with over-sized or under-sized cards. Even if the person has different sized hands, seeing them in motion really helps to get a feel for the deck. Thanks for sharing them! :pray::blush:

And I’m so happy that you are still loving your Robin Wood deck, as well as the Mythic Oracle! May they continue to serve you well and help you have many insightful readings :flower_playing_cards: :two_hearts: :grinning:

Very wise words, and something I need to keep in mind while looking at new decks. It’s so true that, no matter how beautiful and appealing a deck looks, that isn’t a guarantee that you’ll click with it in readings.

I feel the same way about the Ostara deck- it was the first deck I purchased (or rather the first deck I purchased that actually arrived lol) and despite absolutely loving the art and colors, I really struggle with reading it.

I think you are wise to separate the decks you use in your practice and the decks that just don’t click. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, @LadyDennaRahl! :flower_playing_cards: :heart:

Welcome to the knock-off club, my friend- it can be really tough to tell from a listing if a deck is an original or a knock-off, and I think it is a trap that many of us fall into unknowingly, especially those who are trying to buy their first deck.

That being said (and while I certainly don’t want to actively support anything that takes away from the hard-working artist and writer!) my honest experience is that- in terms of magickal energy and abilities- the deck is the deck no matter where it was purchased from. My knock-off Mystical Manga deck reads better for me than any of the decks I’m sure are originals.

It sounds like The Oak, Ash, and Thorn deck reflects yourself back in the imagery- it’s a really lovely deck for a lovely soul! May it continue to serve you well in your readings, Aurora :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Sounds a bit like a game of Russian Roulette to me- you are a brave soul, Garnet! And I respect you for doing whatever it takes to accomplish your deck goals :clap::laughing: :heart:

The deck is absolutely gorgeous with that gold leaf- wow! May it arrive quickly and safely to you asap. Enjoy your new deck, Garnet! :yellow_heart:

That is a very kind gift, and it sounds like it found a home where it will be used to help others! I am sure your therapist was very grateful :pray::blush:

I have trouble with large cards- often times I just have to plop them on the table and shuffle them around that way, because if I try to shuffle them by hand they just fall all over the place haha.

It sounds like the Viking Deck really connected with you- I hope it arrives safely and soundly asap! In true viking style, the snow shouldn’t be a problem :wink::snowflake:

Wishing you a very happy and blessed birthday, Sarafeena! I hope you have lots of fun with your new deck! :heart::birthday::tada:

That’s very valid! I agree that there are certain decks more or less suited to certain types of readings. A deck for each mood! (Sounds like an advertisement to buy more tarot decks :joy::+1: )

Ohhhhh I’m always in awe of that deck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And actually, I am pretty sure I had seen you using the Traditional Manga deck in your Freebie Friday readings and that I had mentioned or showed it to my partner at some point- which was probably the inspiration for the gift of the Mystical Manga deck! :laughing: :+1:

Since the style is similar, I wonder if they are sister decks? :thinking: :grinning:

9 Likes

I try to treat all my decks equally and not have any favorites, but I’m only human. I’d say I use the dragon star and fantasy cat oracle decks by Paolo Barbieri the most. His artwork is gorgeous! :star_struck:

9 Likes

Ohh… :thinking: I’m not sure! They might be lol but I definitely added the Mystical Manga to my wishlist. The art is stunning!

8 Likes

Thank you, my dear!

8 Likes

@Kasandra If those are the cards you’ve shared in the past, I know how gorgeous they are- you’ve got yourself some really lovely decks, Kasandra! :dragon_face: :cat: :sparkling_heart:

@MeganB Yay! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope the deck finds its way to you soon! :heart:

@Amethyst :hugs::two_hearts:

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.