Does an Athame have to have a double blade?

I donā€™t see why not. If kitchen witches can use pairing knives as athames you can use whatever you want. Whoā€™s going to tell on you? LOL. Sounds as if you have the perfect tool already!

6 Likes

Iā€™m very much a newbie, but from my reading you can choose what resonates with you when it comes to your tools. The Athame ive chosen doesnā€™t have a metal blade at all, itā€™s wooden and matches my wand, both purchased from a wood turner on Etsy.

7 Likes

My husband made mine & it has a brown wood handle with a black pentacle on it. Whatever works for you is what works!

Youā€™re welcome @Liisa I hope we answered your question!

6 Likes

Thank you, everyone :slight_smile: I really do resonate with this knife, I use it to carve wood with when Iā€™m camping so itā€™s created quite a few Runes and statues <3

7 Likes

@Liisa I got a new Selenite Athame today!

7 Likes

Omg!! Itā€™s gorgeous!! :heart_eyes: I love the way the handle is cut :heart_eyes: I also love your crystal tortoises/turtles (I always mix them up lol) :heart:

6 Likes

Oh thank you! Turtle is my spirit animal so I collect them. I have Lapis Lazuli, Tigers Eye, Malachite, Soapstone, Sodalite, Unakite, & Green Aventurine! Itā€™s Ike my own turtle farm.

6 Likes

I still donā€™t know my spirit animal, not looked into how I find out or if I choose one? Thatā€™ll be another research topic added to the list lol :heart: Blessed Be :heart:

6 Likes

Ooh, pretty! What a nice find @Susurrus!

5 Likes

Thank you @Amethyst! I love it! I also found out that I pronounce the word ā€œAthameā€ wrong most of the time. :rofl:

5 Likes

The magickal animal challenge has some information about power/totem/spirit animals with some links on how to find and connect with yours, @Liisa! May you connect with a lovely spirit animal :blush::paw_prints:

Absolutely stunning Athame, @Susurrus! :heart_eyes: It looks like its glowing- so magickal! :sparkles::dagger:

5 Likes

Thank you :heart_eyes: Iā€™ll go give it a book mark and get to reading after work :grin: :heart: Blessed Be :heart:

4 Likes

I pronounce it ath-a-may, which is probably wrong but what Iā€™m used to. When youā€™re a solitary witch in RL, who is going to get you on the pronunciation? LOL.

5 Likes

My friend corrected me yesterday on it. We laughed but I was still likeā€¦ waitā€¦ so half the time Iā€™m right? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Honestly I think you can use whatever you wish as an athame~I use my husbands deceased fathers letter opener (itā€™s fashioned to look like an older blade) but before that I was just using a little pokey type tool that carved into candles easily.
I do really want a boline blade but mainly for the aesthetic as I havenā€™t found myself needing to cut too much fauna or flora or the like.
I feel once you imbue anything with your intent it takes on those characteristics and personally I feel itā€™s a testament to my ā€œpowersā€ to transform something ordinary into something extraordinary
:black_heart:

4 Likes

AHAHAHAAHA I dk why but this made me snort laugh. As I say it out loud I realize Iā€™ve been pronouncing it AH THEY UM. So itā€™s a good thing Iā€™m a lone wolf witch and havenā€™t had to embarrass myself (with that at least :joy_cat:)
Itā€™s like that NYX makeup brand I pronounced it N Y X (each letter on its own for ages~ahaha who knew it was NICKS~not me)

3 Likes

I have an amazing meditation for discovering your animal guide if youā€™re interested :black_heart:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been pronouncing it too, in the absence of ever hearing someone say it out loudā€¦

4 Likes

Thank you all so much :heartpulse:

3 Likes

I figure if I ever need a boline Iā€™ll just use a paring knife. Iā€™m not great with sharp pointy things.

:grin: Well, thatā€™s the risk you make when you learn things by reading, you pronounce them as theyā€™re read. Iā€™ve done that myself. I canā€™t pronounce the word facade for the life of me.

Cross my fingers that itā€™s right! :crossed_fingers:

Youā€™re welcome!

4 Likes