Does an Athame have to have a double blade?

Hey all :slight_smile: Hope all is well? I have a survival knife that has been with me on many a trip out in nature. Long before I was a Norse Pagan or Witch. It has been in Nature many times and has been used to work with that nature on hikes and camping trips and it has very much aligned with my energy over the years. It has never been used to harm any living creature nor has it been used for any other purpose than a tool in my hiking pack. Would this be ok to use in place of an Athame? I will of course be blunting it before I consecrate it to be used in spell work. Thank you for any advice <3 Blessed Be <3

6 Likes

An athame commonly has a double edged blade with a black handle. It is used to direct energy during rituals & spells.

I would think as with all things it is your craft & whatever suits you is what will work. If you want to use the survival knife in place of the athame, I think that would be fine.

7 Likes

Thank you <3 It has a Dark oak wood handle with stainless steel blade and pewter décor around the wood on the handle. It’s been my favourite camping tool for a while now and it has never let me down :slight_smile: It’s quite long as well around 30cm for handle and blade. <3

5 Likes

I don’t see why not. If kitchen witches can use pairing knives as athames you can use whatever you want. Who’s going to tell on you? LOL. Sounds as if you have the perfect tool already!

6 Likes

I’m very much a newbie, but from my reading you can choose what resonates with you when it comes to your tools. The Athame ive chosen doesn’t have a metal blade at all, it’s wooden and matches my wand, both purchased from a wood turner on Etsy.

7 Likes

My husband made mine & it has a brown wood handle with a black pentacle on it. Whatever works for you is what works!

You’re welcome @Liisa I hope we answered your question!

6 Likes

Thank you, everyone :slight_smile: I really do resonate with this knife, I use it to carve wood with when I’m camping so it’s created quite a few Runes and statues <3

7 Likes

@Liisa I got a new Selenite Athame today!

7 Likes

Omg!! It’s gorgeous!! :heart_eyes: I love the way the handle is cut :heart_eyes: I also love your crystal tortoises/turtles (I always mix them up lol) :heart:

6 Likes

Oh thank you! Turtle is my spirit animal so I collect them. I have Lapis Lazuli, Tigers Eye, Malachite, Soapstone, Sodalite, Unakite, & Green Aventurine! It’s Ike my own turtle farm.

6 Likes

I still don’t know my spirit animal, not looked into how I find out or if I choose one? That’ll be another research topic added to the list lol :heart: Blessed Be :heart:

6 Likes

Ooh, pretty! What a nice find @Susurrus!

5 Likes

Thank you @Amethyst! I love it! I also found out that I pronounce the word “Athame” wrong most of the time. :rofl:

5 Likes

The magickal animal challenge has some information about power/totem/spirit animals with some links on how to find and connect with yours, @Liisa! May you connect with a lovely spirit animal :blush::paw_prints:

Absolutely stunning Athame, @Susurrus! :heart_eyes: It looks like its glowing- so magickal! :sparkles::dagger:

5 Likes

Thank you :heart_eyes: I’ll go give it a book mark and get to reading after work :grin: :heart: Blessed Be :heart:

4 Likes

I pronounce it ath-a-may, which is probably wrong but what I’m used to. When you’re a solitary witch in RL, who is going to get you on the pronunciation? LOL.

5 Likes

My friend corrected me yesterday on it. We laughed but I was still like… wait… so half the time I’m right? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Honestly I think you can use whatever you wish as an athame~I use my husbands deceased fathers letter opener (it’s fashioned to look like an older blade) but before that I was just using a little pokey type tool that carved into candles easily.
I do really want a boline blade but mainly for the aesthetic as I haven’t found myself needing to cut too much fauna or flora or the like.
I feel once you imbue anything with your intent it takes on those characteristics and personally I feel it’s a testament to my “powers” to transform something ordinary into something extraordinary
:black_heart:

4 Likes

AHAHAHAAHA I dk why but this made me snort laugh. As I say it out loud I realize I’ve been pronouncing it AH THEY UM. So it’s a good thing I’m a lone wolf witch and haven’t had to embarrass myself (with that at least :joy_cat:)
It’s like that NYX makeup brand I pronounced it N Y X (each letter on its own for ages~ahaha who knew it was NICKS~not me)

3 Likes

I have an amazing meditation for discovering your animal guide if you’re interested :black_heart:

3 Likes