šŸ¾ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Claws, Paws, Tails and Scales

Warm greetings to all!

Thank you once again to the brilliant souls who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Strength of the Full Moon :full_moon_with_face:

After looking up at the full moon in all her beautiful power, you may have felt something deep stir within you- something natural and fierce.

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge answers that call of the wild and isā€¦

:dove::dragon_face: Claws, Paws, Tails and Scales - Animals in Magick :paw_prints::black_cat:

From spirit animals to ancient anthropomorphic deities, witchesā€™ familiars to animal whisperers- creatures of all shapes and sorts have earned a place in magickal traditions around the world.

This week is about exploring some of the many ways that we can draw on animal energy in our magickal practices :paw_prints:

Are you ready? Itā€™sā€¦ CHALLENGE TIME! :bellhop_bell:

STEP 1 : Animals in Magick :dove:

Whether you have a furry friend assisting your spellwork or you draw animal energy from within yourself or a higher power, there are so many ways that animals can play a role in your magickal craft!

Here are just a few suggestions for you to consider pursuing for this challenge:

:dragon_face: Anthropomorphic and animal deities

Many pantheons around the world honor Gods, Goddesses, and holy creatures with animalistic or anthropomorphic (animal-like) forms. The Egyptian Pantheon is one great example.

Egyptian-Wiccan-Devotional-Prayers-750x500

Consider learning more about cat deity Bast :cat2:, the lovely winged Isis :dove:, or perhaps hawk god Ra of the sun :sun_with_face:.

The Wiccan God, also called Cernunnos and the Horned God is a deity of nature depicted with the proud antlers of a stag :deer:

Cernunnos-Wiccan-Prayer-750x500

For those who follow Draconic magick :dragon_face: , elemental dragons can be called upon for worship and ritualwork. Consider learning more by reading the Draconic Code of Honor and exploring these Elemental Dragon Invocations.

:black_cat: Working with familiars

A commonly misunderstood subject, the term ā€œfamiliarā€ relates to a spirit that serves and protects a witch.

@Silverbear explains what creatures would be considered as familiars (and why there may be a more appropriate term for your magickally-inclined pet) in her post:

Check out Familiars and A Pet to learn more about the important differences between pets and familiars.

:star2: Your Spirit Animal / Power Animal / Totem Animal / Animal Guide

There are many terms out there -ā€œspirit animalā€, ā€œtotem animalā€ and ā€œpower animalā€ among others- it is easy to get confused! In short, these are all closely related terms that can mean different things depending on the individual.

For those interested in finding their Power Animal or would like more thorough information on these terms, you can learn more in the following threads:

Familiar spirits and Power Animals- What is the Difference?

Spirit Animals :bird:

How to Call Your Spirit Animal

Animal Totems- Which is Yours?

:person_in_lotus_position: Explore your inner-animal energy through meditation

Draw on the power of animals with an animal meditation. These mediations range from animal inspiration to deep meditations were you can experience the world through different eyes :dragon_face:

The Wolf Moon Meditation has a spell and guided meditation allowing you to mentally transform and experience the full moon with your wild pack :wolf:

This meditation by Ascension Meditation Space helps you to meet your Guardian Dragon :dragon:

:raised_hands: ā€¦And more!

Feel free to let your creativity run wild with this challenge!

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

No matter how you choose to tackle this challenge, you must share your experience!

Please share:

• Your experience drawing on animal energy in your magickal practice

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new post in the forums.

If you create a new post, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post - thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

2021-04-06T05:00:00Z CET (Central European Time Zone)

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and the a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to a moderator.

For those new to challenges, know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Whether they have claws and paws or tails and scales; creatures of day or beasts of night- your animal magick will guide you right!

Blessed be! :heart: :paw_prints:

15 Likes

Hmmā€¦Iā€™m gonna have to think hard about this one :black_cat:

8 Likes

Cleo and the Power of Bast

Iā€™ve had a familiar even before I knew what a familiar was. Looking back now it begins to make more sense. Cleo (full name Cleopatra) came into my life at a time when I was not sure if I was ready to have another pet. Someone I worked with was trying to find homes for a litter of kittens, but I said no. My cat Noodles had recently passed away and I was not ready. A few days passed and they came to me again asking if I was sure, I said no again. Finally another week went by, they asked a final time and I told them the only way I would consider getting a cat right now was if it was a female, white fur, and with blue eyes (which was true). I thought that would end the conversation until they replied they had one that matched the request. I finally agreed to go look. When I walked in I saw a few kittens playing around, but none with white fur. I was on the floor petting the others when I see this little white fur ball come around the corner, walk up to me, and crawled up on my lap. I looked at her, she looked at me, and the rest was history. That was in 2004. Another thing to mention was that she never seemed very social when other people were around, in fact, there were few people that she would tolerate besides me. It was like she was protecting me. I did not start on my path until February of 2020, and looking back now I see things that I did not previously see, or did not pay attention to.

Below is an excerpt from my spiritual journal that occurred during Samhain ritualā€¦

And then I turned to working with Bast. I had the statue of her on the altar, I picked it up and stared at it for a while then asked her why she wasnā€™t willing to come to me, what have I done and in the back of my head I hear ā€œI always have beenā€, then I have a thought of Cleo when she was a kitten and when I named her Cleopatra. So again I start to cry, and apologize for not realizing this sooner. She said ā€œyou found out when you were supposed toā€. And I ask if she will be here a while, then I/we look over to see Cleo sleeping and I hear ā€œfor a while moreā€. And then more tearsā€¦I still get a chill thinking about this.

Now when doing a morning or afternoon prayer I ring the bell and start and it is almost guaranteed that before I am finished she is up on the bed sitting next to me, almost like she is participating in the prayer.

So if you are asking me I would say without a doubt that she was sent to me by Bast at a time when I needed her most. I only wish I would have realized that sooner. Blessed be.

13 Likes

I was going to ask if weā€™ll have a challenge like this soon! For this one, I plan to get in touch with my dragon guardian! :dragon:

7 Likes

Saulamay,
Sounds like you have a really good connection with cats! And I am sorry to hear about noodles!
I think you made a good decision getting another cat I felt the same way about not moving on so quickly and Only felt love for my pet I lost I didnā€™t think I could move on again. And I ended up with the best cat ever her name is Millie. She follows me everywhere!
I like how your cat picked you and she crawled on your lap that was really neat it sounds like it was very meant to be.
I like how you made the connection with Bast and sounds like your ritual worked after all!
Our furry friends are loved! Huh :thinking:
Your cat probably likes that you are praying :pray:t4: together. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!
Blessed be
Jeannie

7 Likes

Oooh, I have so many paths of which to go down and exploreā€¦which one which oneā€¦:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

@Kasandra oh! Let us know how it goes!

@Saulamay thatā€™s really amazing! Iā€™m very happy for you & Cleo. Sounds like you are well protected.

Iā€™m really putting my thought into this 1. Iā€™m very intrigued & was just thinking that I need another crystal turtle to go with my Lapis Lazuli turtle :turtle: I collect turtles since my friend lovingly made it my spirit animal. Since then I have a blue stuffed turtle named Splash. I also have a turtle charm on 2 of my charm bracelets.

Sorry, Iā€™m rambling! I will come up with something though!

7 Likes

Good luck, @MeganB! :blush:

Such a beautiful story about Cleo, @Saulamay! She was what you needed when you needed it, even though you didnā€™t know it at the time. What a blessing to have her in your life! Cleo sounds like a very important presence and part of your magickal practice. Thank you so much for sharing! :cat2: :heart:

Wonderful, @Kasandra! I wish you good luck and safe travels reaching out to your dragon guardian :dragon_face: :pray:

Choices, choices @Rowan! :grin: Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what you will choose :blush:

I think a turtle is a wonderful spirit animal to have, @Susurrus :turtle: I hope you can find a nice friend for your Lapis turtle! :+1:

8 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™m going to see if I can find one today at the Stone Store where I got my Lapis turtle. I will post a picture if I succeed!

6 Likes

Are you kitten me right meow?! This challenge is purrrrr fect!

8 Likes

This a super interesting challenge!! Thank you @BryWisteria for this one!!

@Saulamay Your Cleo is beautiful and that was such a powerful story of she finding you. It was meant to be!

7 Likes

:rofl: :joy: @AliceInWonderdab I about spit out my coffee on this one!!

7 Likes

I lost my Mama cat yesterday. She was old age and ill health. I wrapped her in my best piece of fabric & Rich buried her next to Precious, our Himalayan cat who died about 10 years ago. They were nice ladies.

7 Likes

I just added more infographics to the Spirit Animal post!

#1 Animals Include: Butterfly, Dragonfly, Coyote, Owl, Bat, Pigeon, Snake, Raven, Rabbit, Turtle

#2 Animals Include: Ladybug, Frog, Whale, Hummingbird, Fox, Cat, Spider, Eagle, Bear, Rat

#3 Animals Include: Moose, Wolf, Duck, Macaw, Swan, Elephant, Alligator, Raccoon, Lizard, Wasp

#4 Animals Include: Deer, Shark, Horse, Squirrel, Dog, Goat, Dolphin, Magpie, Bee, Sea Lion

#5 Animals Include: Woodpecker, Praying Mantis, Peacock, Skunk, Lion, Manta Ray, Flamingo, Tiger, Hawk, Gorilla

#6 Animals Include: Jelly Fish, Turkey, Zebra, Sparrow, Fly, Phoenix, Koala, Cow, Moth, Linx & Bobcat

5 Likes

These are some great resources if you are looking to explore more into Spirit Animal and Totems (meanings, symbolism, etc)

9 Likes

I have 2 crystal carvings of animalsā€¦ A Yellow Jasper Owl and a Black Soapstone Starfish. I love working with them from time to time. I just feel really connected to both of those animals

8 Likes

@AliceInWonderdab you are downright purr-larious! :joy_cat: :+1:

So sorry to hear about your loss, @Garnet. It sounds like she was a beloved blessing in your life :hearts: May she rest quietly and peacefully alongside Precious :pray:

Wonderful resources, @Missa! Thank you so much for sharing these with the coven :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :paw_prints:

5 Likes

Ohhh sounds like an opportunity to carry on from my previous post about my 3am encounter with a bat :bat: and all that came from it :blush:

5 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry you lost your furbaby @Garnet. Thatā€™s always so sad, but at least she was old and had lived a good life filled with love and her people.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind sentiments. ++Karma. Blessings

3 Likes