Easiest herbs to grow in your kitchen?

Thinking about growing an herb or two in my kitchen. What’s the easiest herb I could grow with little maintenance? I tried growing Rosemary before, and it didn’t pan out very well. I have a little bay window in my kitchen, I would love to make use of with some greenery!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

I’ve had pretty good luck with growing Dill and Mint. Rosemary is too hardy of a plant for the window. It ends up being a bush and gets too big. But Dill and Mint are both pretty small and should do well there!

12 Likes

Hi there!
I purchased a kit from Amazon for my friend- it uses Ball jars and makes them in to a little hydroponic garden. She has done really well with basil, mint, cilantro/parsely and green onions. I would have to ask her what else she has in her “apartment therapy garden”! But I know for sure I have seen those in her window ledge.

Good luck!! :blush:

12 Likes

My window sill in my kitchen is facing west, so it gets direct sun in the afternoons. Herbs love that window sill. I usually start from seed and then plant them in a little bigger pot. When they outgrow that pot, I put them in a bigger pot and set them on the front porch, which faces south. I think basil is the easiest thing to grow. I planted catnip from seed and had it on the sill all winter. I have it in my herb garden now and it is trying to take over. (Catnip is a part of the mint family, but my mint isn’t doing well). I also have lemon and avocado trees that I started on that windowsill.

Just experiment with different things and I think you will be happily surprised at what you can grow by a window. :herb:

13 Likes

For me, a kitchen isn’t a kitchen without Basil

10 Likes

Nixi,
What do you use your basil for? I have like two plants and I never use them?
Ostara,
I grew some catnip for my kitty and then one day I forgot to water my catnip and it dried out. I was so upset anyhow, I think I will try again my favorite it right now that I am growing to try to be a little closer with mugwort is something that I use all the time!
I have some thyme and really love using my thyme because it burns so well and you can eat it!
I am so excited to let you guys know I do actually have a pretty good garden. Oh, I ate some tomatoes today but I know that is not a herb, but I do have some sage and trying to think if I have anything else.

Ow my mugwort needs help !

Jeannie

9 Likes

Pasta sauce, in and on top, Soups, Salads, Pizza . Probably more

9 Likes

I believe that Basil and chives can grown best if you have a fairly lighted place to keep them. Rosemary and Thyme are pretty good even without direct light, but you shouldn’t overwater them. Sage is a definite good kitchen herb, along with any mint, but as others have said, mint can go wild if you don’t keep it contained in a small pot, and you’ll still probably repot it after a year or two.

I tend to agree with Nixi, in that basil in the kitchen is one of the most versatile and wonderful cooking herbs for everything from pasta, to soups, and my favorite, Margarita pizza, but any pizza is good with it and all pastas. I don’t make soup without it either. I use purple basil as well and have 3 different ones inside and grow 2 different ones outside in my kitchen garden! LOVE!

I have never tried mugwort as @Jeannie1 was talking about but I have been growing a catnip plan on my front porch that seems to be thriving. I haven’t used it yet for anything.

My last recommendation is outside of the herb, but I still think it’s worth trying if you have the space and that is hot peppers. Try habaneros, Thai chili peppers and hot cherry peppers! They are able to be used for the seeds in dishes, chop them, dry them (sun dried or in a dehydrator, or just let them dry out naturally after they are ripe and picked), or you can put them in a jar with vinegar/water/salt mixture, or can them for use much later! :hot_pepper: :potted_plant:

edited for clarity

10 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions, I think I will try my hand at growing basil. Blessed be!:heart:

7 Likes

I’ve had mixed luck with herbs indoors over the years and locations- it really seems to vary based on the plant and how happy they are with the set-up. Others have offered some really great options, and I have to say that basil (if it’s happy where it is) is an invaluable asset to the kitchen- there’s so much one can do with it! :yum: :herb:

My best advice is to get a few small plants and see how they do. Maybe take pictures now and then or keep a little kitchen garden log. It’ll help you find which herbs are happiest in your location :potted_plant: :blush:

Good luck and happy growing, @bryce- may whichever plants you choose thrive! :green_heart:

7 Likes

Hello,

I had rosemary planted in a planter box outside. I brought it in for the winter and placed it on a windowsill. Then each spring I put it back outside. It is the healthiest rosemary plant I have ever seen/had. We are going on year three!
I am going to try this with other herbs too. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@bryce be sure to trim the tops before they flower. I put those on top of a plate of pasta

8 Likes

That is amazing, maybe that’s what I forgot to do last time lol. I may need to try my hand at it again, perhaps after I can grow basil successfully!

8 Likes

That would be quite yummy, thank you for the suggestion.:blush:

8 Likes

I have a couple bell pepper :bell_pepper: in my garden!
Tonight for the new moon, I am drinking a new moon tea and it has raspberry leave, organic lemon, peel, organic lemon grass, organic cinnamon, organic rose, petals, organic, nettle, leaf, and organic Stevia!
Honestly, I really love anything with cinnamon and also lemon grass seems to really fit me very well. I didn’t know that I could use rose, petals and just about anything but nettle leaf is actually a really good thing to try out because I know that it helps with the gut. And anything that helps with the gut will help with anxiety and stuff like that.
I just grew some garlic that seem to work well but I don’t know if garlic grows every season so that we would have to look up but I’m just saying when I grew my garlic, it really taste a lot different than the kind in the store. My garlic turned out so much better…
Jeannie

7 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions, I ended up picking up a little basil plant from Walmart today. Any tips on getting this little beauty started?:relieved:

7 Likes

Jeannie, that sounds absolutely delicious. How long have you been making this mixture?

5 Likes

What a cute little basil plant! :herb: I love it! I think it needs a cute little pot, maybe a sigil on the bottom for healthy growth, and a name!

5 Likes

And use it often, it will encourage growth

5 Likes

Welcome, cute little basil buddy! :wave: :herb: :blush:

I second what Megan and Nixi have said and always want to add in to speak to it! Plants like when we talk to them for reasons both scientific and spiritual :potted_plant: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

May your new friend thrive! :raised_hands:

5 Likes