Energies and more passed down the Generations

Eclipses are said to be ominous throughout historical documents, books, and the likes.

I could understand how one might feel that way if I lived in a time where knowledge or any education regarding said topic was non-existent(lol, terrible reference). That being said, it got me thinking about our ancestors.

I believe that there are various aspects of our being that are shaped by our elders, or the generations that came before us.(my wording is just terrible tonight.) Just like traditions, we subconsciously act these out because thatā€™s what has been done. Iā€™m not saying our actions are not our own but I do think we are heavily influenced.

What Iā€™m trying to get at, and terribly lol, is that I do not recall feeling any ominous, negative, or conflicting energies when there is an eclipse of any kind.
In my opinion, I feel like for Centuries, the masses have cultivated feelings and thoughts of doubt, negativity, an unease, and such so much so that itā€™s become the standard in times like this. Itā€™s easy for so many to fall in line instead of asking questions and exploring the topic on their own.

Enough thought rambling lol.
Iā€™m interested in hearing thoughts on this. :grin::new_moon_with_face:

7 Likes

@janelle
I read your post and it wasnā€™t badly written at all. Great subject.

I agree that generational (ancestral) ideas, habits and superstitions have been imprinted upon us somewhat. But more so passed orally from generation to generation.

Superstitions are declining. Not everywhere, in some areas of the world superstition is alive and thriving. Example: people in some African countries who are born with Albinism live in fear for their life and limbs they can be either killed or just body parts stolen by ā€˜witch doctorsā€™ for their magic. (illegal? Absolutely, but it still happens.)
In China, some girl babies are still being abandoned just for being borne female.

Prejudice, takes time and an honest effort from parent to child, etc. My grandfather was a total racist, which he then passed on to his sons. My dad was a racist, which he also passed on to his sons. Even my Mom was a closet racist. I guess I escaped because I was born in a more enlightened time than my elder brothers. Not that I couldnā€™t have slid into racism, But while I was upset or mad at someone for a transgression against me, I would become prejudiced against a whole race.

Thatā€™s how racism starts

That would have been like saying ā€œIs the entire Philippineā€™s people responsible for my slight?.ā€ Not true and a dummy idea for me to have even give credence. I was doing, admitted the wrongness and now the Philippines are safe (again!).

I taught my son not to be racist. Heā€™s done pretty well, or at least a stern look from me gains his silence even today.(heā€™s 37).
Well, Iā€™ve gone on and on and probably gotten off subject, lol.

May you life be filled with sunshine.
Brightest blessings
Garnet

6 Likes

@janelle, you worded your topic just fine, so no worries there. I did dig into a couple of concepts because Eclipses throughout history were chaotic, filled with mystery, and ominous. I found this information: The Meaning of an Eclipse in History

A blessing? A curse? A sign of good things to come, or doom on the horizon? Throughout the course of history, total solar eclipses have been observed in awe, as astounding astronomical events. And before modern science was able to offer us a better explanation of what was actually happening during a solar eclipse, ancient cultures developed their own solar eclipse meanings and interpretations

Letā€™s take a look at a few of the most fascinating ways that cultures have explained solar eclipses over time.

1. THE NORSE

In the Norse mythology ascribed, the Vikings of Northern Europe believed that, during a total solar eclipse, the Sun was being eaten by two wolves known as Skoll and Hati. According to legend, these two wolves were hungry for celestial bodies, with Skoll having an acquired taste for the Moon and Hati partial to the Sun. During an eclipse, they believed that the wolves had caught up to their prey. Back on earth, the Vikings would hoot and holler in an effort to scare Skoll and Hati away ā€“ā€“ and allow the Moon to pass by the Sun. Itā€™s a good thing it worked, too, because the Vikings also believed that if Skoll and Hati were ever able to successfully eat the Moon and the Sun, it would indicate the pending apocalypse, known as Ragnarok.

2. THE CHINESE

ā€œThe Sun has been eaten.ā€ So says a recording of a solar eclipse from thousands of years ago. In fact, the Chinese have been tracking solar eclipses for over 4,000 years! And similar to the Norse legend, in ancient China, it was believed that an eclipse was the result of a dragon consuming the Sun. And, like the Vikings, the Chinese would bang on drums and make loud noises to scare the dragon away and save the Sun from being chomped on.

3. THE HINDU

In ancient Hindu mythology, a rather gruesome tale explained the solar eclipse. According to legend, gods and demons worked together to concoct an elixir of life that would give anyone who consumed it immortality. When the demon Rahu decided he was going to drink the potion himself, things didnā€™t turn out exactly as planned. The powerful god Vishnu discovered Rahuā€™s scheme and had Rahu beheaded ā€“ but not before Rahu was able to take a sip of the elixir.

As the legend goes, Rahu now chases the Sun and the Moon in a fit of rage, and every so often, he catches them with the intention of ā€“ā€“ you guessed it ā€“ā€“ eating them! However, because heā€™s only ahead and has no arms, he cannot hold onto them, and they pass by one another unscathed.

4. THE INCA

The Inca people of South America believed that a total solar eclipse was a bad sign from the mighty sun god, Inti. According to Incan culture, the meaning of an eclipse was Intiā€™s anger and displeasure, and something needed to be done to appease their god. Incan leaders would gather and determine what they had done to make their god upset and make sacrifices accordingly. Human sacrifice may have been practiced on occasion. However, less extreme atonement was more common, such as animal sacrifice, fasting, or withdrawal from public events.

5. THE EGYPTIANS

The ancient Egyptians are famous for their incredible skills as astronomers; the Egyptians are believed to be the first people to create a solar calendar with 365 days! They also worshipped the Sun and its god, Ra. So you would expect the ancient Egyptians to keep detailed records of total solar eclipses, right?

Well, as it turns out, archeologists and historians have not been able to dig up many records of the Egyptians and their reflections on eclipses. While these records may have simply been lost or yet undiscovered, another interpretation is that the brief disappearance of the sun was so terrifying to the sun-obsessed Egyptians that they refused to track them at all for fear of giving the event more permanence. We may never knowā€¦

6. THE NATIVE AMERICANS

There have been hundreds of Native American tribes, each with its own unique culture. But some tribes share some common mythologies about the meaning of a solar eclipse. For the Ojibwa and Cree peoples, a solar eclipse is the result of a small boy known as Tcikabis taking his revenge on the Sun for scorching him by laying out a trap with a rope. Once ensnared by Tcikabis, the animals come to the Sunā€™s rescue, but itā€™s the smallest of animals ā€“ā€“ the mouse ā€“ā€“ that is able to chew through the rope of the snare and set the Sun free.

Like the Chinese and the Norse, the Choctaw people believed that during a total solar eclipse, the Sun was being devoured by a celestial creature. In the case of the Choctaw, it was a hungry black squirrel. And like those cultures, the Choctaw also believed that, in order to frighten him off, they need to make loud noises and beat their drums! Whatā€™s more fascinating is the fact that these cultures rarely, if ever, encountered one another; they drew similar conclusions from different corners of the world at different periods of history.

Passed down Generational Information

I think that anything passed from ancestors is within your being when you are born. For instance:

My father & brother are very set in their ways. My father is from a different time (b. 1944 in South Boston) so he is very Black & White. There is no room for any other shade. You hurt me, you spite me, we are no longer family & there will never be a chance at reconciliation. My brother is (b. 1979) is in the United States Army, he is the same way but a little bit more room for shades of white/black/almost grayā€¦ he thinks very much with his head, right/wrong/ (he was a police officer before going back into the Army & both of those jobs were very muchā€¦ more than just pulling over people for speeding tickets)

Then thereā€™s me & I am so different but we have the same mother, father, grandparentsā€¦ I tend to think with emotion & with ā€œmy heartā€ before my ā€œheadā€. So when I reach out & just want to connect with my family, itā€™s hard because they donā€™t understand the feelings I am having, or they do but to a point then itā€™s, I donā€™t know why you feel this way, I donā€™t know what to tell you, Call me in a couple of hours to check-inā€¦ itā€™s a very "Iā€™m not being understood or they arenā€™t listening, kind of feeling when itā€™s just my father & brother being themselves. I know they care but they donā€™t view the world like I do or feel the same way that I do. Because of that, I wound up in quite a pickle navigating life. I had a very different infant to child to teenager to young adult to parent experience. I always knew I was different than them.

However, we didnā€™t have much to do with my birth motherā€™s side & honestly, we didnā€™t question it too much because, by the time we would, we were used to them not being around or in contact. Usually, we chalked it up toā€¦ 1 aunt is in PA, 1 in SC, 1 in KYā€¦ we were in MAā€¦ so it sort of made senseā€¦ & it was before the age of technology where you could speak to anyone in the world at any time about anything.

After my birth mother died, I am in the process of ā€œreconcilingā€ with an Aunt. Just from talking to her, I have realized that a lot of what I do & feel, I come by it honestlyā€¦ itā€™s the side of the family that I know nothing or very much about, so now I am learning more from a direct source that I never thought I would be talking to again in this lifetime. That being said. My brother wants nothing to do with her & my father is black & white & when I was 17 going on 18, there was a thing with this aunt & I & went to live with herā€¦ the outcome wasnā€™t exactly goodā€¦ so my father has his own reasons for not talking to or about her. He is holding onto what happened when I was 17ā€¦ for reference, we are coming up on 30 years ago.

However, my birth motherā€™s side was the side with the think with your heart & of other people & nature, most of myself is a derivative of that side of the family with parts of my fatherā€™s side thrown in there. They are also manipulative, greedy, & mental health is an issue at times because of the way they were raised which was in a much different setting. My grandfather was in the US Military & last stationed in MA so thatā€™s where my motherā€™s family resided, grew up, & my parents met. The girls were 4 wild child types in their own way. If I look back on my life, the reason I didnā€™t fit into my fatherā€™s mold perfectly was that I was made from him & my mother, my mother passed down the empathy & the things I just canā€™t explain why I feel or know them.

Which has led me to genealogy & learning about the times & where my family is from & how the sides evolved throughout history. My motherā€™s side is colonial founders of PA & the Mennonite church. Rev Hans Herr is a direct descendant of mine & brought shiploads of people from Germanic Europe to PA to escape religious persecution. The Mennonite church branched off into the Amishā€¦ & I am related to so many settlers of PAā€¦ York, Hershey, and surrounding towns involve my family. The Kissingers, Meyers, Herr, Winters, with first names like Silas :smile: & other names that you wouldnā€™t hear today. I could go onā€¦ so I believe in that respect without knowing where you came from makes it harder to know who you are. (Just my own opinion from my own experiences.)

6 Likes

I have an interesting view on this. I have an older sister who was put up for adoption before I was born. We have different fathers and were raised in very different situations but we have become good friends as adults. I have been told by those who know both of us that we are startling similar even down to having nearly identical reactions to certain things like being startled.

5 Likes

@Susurrus Thank you for all the detailed info. Itā€™s very interesting and I enjoyed reading it :heart:

@janelle Have you ever heard of Ancestral Healing? I took some classes in Dublin Ireland a few years ago. I learned a lot about my ancestors, it was very interesting. There are lots of books on the subject as well.

5 Likes

My fatherā€™s side of the family has its own history from Ireland & Italy, Sicily that area. So I am very drawn to that side having been raised by my father & his side of the family, but itā€™s interesting that as far as my being, I can tell where snippets of me came from one or both of them

When I did the DNA test that broke down my DNA into haplogroups, my maternal line, & can go back to the Ice Ages & islands no longer really heard about anymore either from being non-existant or not a major area of interest such as Cyprus in the Mediterranean. Most of my DNA is from Ireland then it is broken down into other parts of the UK from the British Isles, Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland & an island that I canā€™t remember but itā€™s rare to hear about because I believe it is no longer a thing. :thinking: I will definitely have to log into that to get the details :face_with_monocle:

I believe it all ties into who you are & your spirituality. My ancestors arenā€™t shy & let me know when Iā€™m making mistakes or need to change my focus or direction. Just ask @MeganBā€¦ they seem to like her on Freebie Fridays & they have no filterā€¦ :flushed: They tell me when Iā€™m just being lazy or blind or looking the wrong wayā€¦ they are blunt about it. :laughing: They are a fan of tough love Iā€™d say too. :thinking:

4 Likes

@Susurrus
Itā€™s interesting that you mentioned your Italian heritage, the lady who taught the ancestral healing classes is from Italy. She could speak English but had another lady translating.
And my ancestors, are all so quiet and rarely spoke up, and itā€™s still the same, perhaps I inherited my shyness. :thinking:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.