Getting Comfy in the Kitchen 🥖

I hope everyone had a wonderful Lughnasadh yesterday! If you haven’t had time to celebrate, don’t worry! I was informed by an Irish friend of mine that festivities for Lughnasadh (and Samhain, too) were historically celebrated all month! I mean, it makes sense because of the Tailteann Games and other activities but still! There is still time!

This is my entry for the :yum: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Wickedly Delicious

Anyway, I spent most of my time at home yesterday in the kitchen which is a first in a very long time. The kitchen isn’t usually someplace I’m comfortable and, if I’m being honest, I usually hate cooking. This time around, though, I was excited. I had plans and recipes to try and I was going to make sure I got them done. And I did!

From my Instagram Stories

I don’t really have anything revolutionary to share, honestly. The recipes I used were my usual Lúnasa Bread recipe, a pastry recipe from Simply Witched on Instagram, and some pesto chicken casserole recipe I found online. The only things here that are even remotely associated with the festival is the pastry and the bread, but that’s okay with me.

From my Instagram Stories

The recipe for the pastry called for pastry dough, blackberry spread, and brie cheese. However, I had to improvise because I did not have blackberry spread or brie. Instead, I found a blackberry spread (which worked okay but not as good as I wanted) and whipped cream cheese. They were a huge hit in my house and, though I made five of them, I don’t have any left!

I think my kitchen witchery came in here in that I was excited to try these recipes and intended for my happiness and gratitude to spread to those around me. I feel like I accomplished that goal with the baking and cooking, even if the recipes themselves weren’t specifically witchy.

On the other hand, I took the kitchen witchcraft to another level with an act of service for this Lughnasadh. When I bake bread, I usually make one massive round loaf (like you can see in the recipe) or I make two regular bread loaves. This bread is dense and best eaten with a soup or pasta, something that can soak into it easily. Since I had an extra loaf, I took that loaf and an extra pastry to my daughter’s friend’s house and shared the gratitude I have with them. This extra step I feel is one that should be incorporated into every festival or sabbat (just my opinion, of course) and sharing it with them, even though they don’t celebrate like we do, made it that much more special.

Image via Unsplash

You know, now that I think about it, my bread recipe did have a bit of added magick to it. Last year when I made it, I used a mixture of rosemary and other herbs. This year, though, I decided to go with dill and basil. Basil is associated with love, luck, and general health. Dill is associated with love, luck, balance, and protection. And honestly? I chose these herbs intuitively and it seems like their uses matched my intentions fairly well!

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got for you today. I know a few of you tried my bread recipe I posted from last year and they look great! I also recommend checking out Simply Witched on Instagram if you aren’t following her already. She posts recipes, tarot spreads, and more! Also, not sponsored or anything. I just like her content :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Sounds like you had a good holiday despite not having time to celebrate! That’s all that counts. And sharing is a great idea!

5 Likes

With or without blackberry, is one of those moments in which I wish the Star Trek technology, and said to Scotty to beem me a couple of pastry. :pie::flying_saucer:

5 Likes

Ohhhh everything looks delicious @MeganB! :heart_eyes: It looks like you had a lovely Lammas blessed with some very tasty treats- glad you had a good time! :heart:

That’s great to know! :raised_hands: While many calenders mark the Sabbats as just one day, it seems that at least a few of them have historically been celebrated over a period of time.

Guess we’ve all got the a-okay to feast and enjoy fresh bread all month! :laughing: :+1: :bread:

Blessed Lammas to all still celebrating! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I think that’s a great idea!! If ever I have extra, I do feed my neighbors kids because they’re always hungry (looooong story).

It sounds like you had a beautiful Lammas!! I like when you said,

Beautiful words :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Thank you all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Part of the celebration for me @Amethyst is the cooking and enjoying each others’ company. I don’t do much ritual for sabbats because I usually only celebrate the four fire festivals.

Definitely celebrated all month @BryWisteria – I should have taken that into account before I ate so much food :laughing:

It’s a great part of the celebrations @christina4 and I feel like we could all do well to help feed those around us, even if just for celebrations :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes