Lúnasa Bread Recipe 🍞

Lúnasa is almost upon us and now is the time to start thinking about the bread you’re going to bake for the wonderful celebration of the first harvest! Baking bread is a traditional and popular way to give thanks to the Gods and incorporate the beautiful goodness that is baked bread.

I am what I consider a beginner baker. Growing up, I never really made anything unless it came out of a box. As I get older, though, I realize that baking - and cooking from scratch for that matter - are important to me. Now I’ve come to love baking and cooking from scratch!

I wanted to share this easy bread recipe you can make at home with just a few ingredients.

You’ll Need…

• 1 package of active dry yeast
  • 2 1/4 cups warm water
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar (for the dough)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (for the yeast)
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons of canola oil
  • 6 3/4 cups of flour

:bread: In the warm water, mix together the packet of active dry yeast and 1/2 tsp of sugar.

:bread: Set aside.

:bread: In a large bowl, mix together remaining sugar, salt, herbal mixture, and 3 cups of flour. Mix until it is combined well.

:bread: Once your yeast has proofed (bubbles will begin to form on top), slowly stir in canola oil.

:bread: Add your yeast/oil mixture to your dry ingredients, slowly stirring to combine. At this point, your bread dough will look like batter.

:bread: Stir in more flour 1/2 cup at a time until a smooth dough has formed. You might not use the entire 6 3/4 cups of flour. That’s okay.

:bread: Turn your smooth dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.

:bread: Cover the dough with a towel in a lightly greased bowl and place it in a warm, dry place for 2 hours to rise.

:bread: Punch down the dough to get the air out and turn it onto a lightly floured surface. At this point, you may split your dough in half to make two loaves if you want.

:bread: Shape and cover again to rise for another 1 1/2 hours.

:bread: Preheat your oven to 375F

:bread: Bake for about 35 minutes until the bread sounds hollow when tapped and is golden brown on top.

:bread: Let cool before cutting and enjoy!

You can get a printer-friendly version of the recipe on my website!

Plus you can also watch the video and bake along with me!

26 Likes

I saw this on your site and I’m making it Tonight!!!

8 Likes

A beautiful (and very tasty looking) recipe- thanks for sharing, @MeganB! :two_hearts: And perfectly timed for Lughnasadh too! :ear_of_rice::yum:

Hooray! Good for you- as much as I love cooking, I go through phases with baking :bread:. For me, cooking was always an art but baking is more of a science! :test_tube: :laughing: I’d like to improve my baking skills- perhaps I’ll give a loaf of homemade bread a try! :yum::two_hearts:

7 Likes

Let me know how you like it! The recipe is very simple. There’s no milk, no eggs, no butter - I think anyone can do it! Proofing yeast can be scary, but don’t let it deter you!

6 Likes

running to the store to get what I need to make this tonight as well. Thank you @MeganB for this

7 Likes

Ooohhh your bread looks beautiful, Megan!! Perfect video editing too! Total cooking channel quality!

Like you said: “I was always afraid to bake bread”!! That’s me! :laughing: I baked bread for the first time this year during quarantine, and this Lúnasa is my second time!!

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks delicious :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I haven’t baked bread myself for quite a while, so I’m excited to do it again this Lúnasa!

7 Likes

Thank you! I try really hard sometimes lol and sometimes, since I film by myself, it gets to be a little difficult! I’m glad you liked it, and I’m glad you’re going to be baking bread again for Lúnasa!

Wonderful! Let me know how you like it :blush:

I’ve grown a love for baking bread lol which is strange for me to say!

8 Likes

This looks wonderful, I can smell it in my imagination! Thank you for sharing.

7 Likes

And here we have it…happy Lammas

13 Likes

Merry Meet!

I went to your site & printed the recipe, if I can’t make it tonight, I am definitely making it tomorrow. I also noticed that you have crochet patterns! I love to crochet & knit, so I bookmarked the site for all kinds of inspiration!

Thank you so much for sharing!
Krissie

3 Likes

It looks great, Katt! I hope it tasted good, too :smiley:

Awesome! I’ve been crocheting since I was about nine years old and it’s become a hobby as well as something I’m passionate about :smiley:

5 Likes

@MeganB I started crocheting around that time & I started knitting after I had my second son. It’s relaxing & soothing to my anxiety in the colder months. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I tried to knit, I really did. I can get the basic stitches down and go back and forth, but crochet just comes easier to me lol

5 Likes

@MeganB Crochet comes more natural because I learned it so long ago. When I want to do something easy and almost mindless, I crochet because it almost comes naturally at this point. I feel the same way.

Have a great day!

5 Likes

My mom taught me to knit as a child, many many moons ago but I would have no clue how to do it now lol

5 Likes

I went away from it for a while too. I have beginner books and I found knitting and crocheting for dummies online, they help me a great deal when I lose it or get stuck.

5 Likes

I love handwork! I knit and crochet (not for years now). But quilting is my passion. I have more material and books than I can use in a lifetime. If anyone wants some quilting books, I have many I’d like to part with. I need the shelf room! My library is still closed, so I cannot donate yet, but I will. I have made over 30 quilts. Each of my kids has many!

6 Likes

You have so many talents, @wendy4! :smiley: :two_hearts: Quilting is a beautiful craft- my mother has made a few quilts, and wow! Watching how much effort goes into one quilt, it really made me appreciate the work of art that they are! :thread::heart:

5 Likes

You are such a positive source. Thank you for your validation.

you

5 Likes