Godess Aine

Hello lovely coven…

For years I have not felt comfortable calling upon amd asking to work with any Deities… My own demons I guess where I thought I wasnt worthy… Long story… I thought why would a Deity want to work with me?
Anyhow through a lot of shadow work etc etc I realize that I am now ready… (And of course through Spells 8 I have found one particular Goddess that I feel a strong connection to… Aine… I have Celtic roots and perhaps that is why i am drawn to that pantheon. I felr like she jumped out of the page at me… I have so much in common with her… I felt her pain when I was reading her story… I could relate… I understood why she did the things that she did and my respect for her grew so quickly…
So my question is… Do you think I am meant to work with this beautiful Goddess? How will I know?

7 Likes

I think it sounds like there is definitely a connection for you with Her. You can try meditation or offerings & prayers or gratitude to connect with her. Learn more about her & her pantheon from the area of Celticism she is known for… usually Pagan Portals will have a series on Gods/Goddesses/Deities done by very credible authors almost like a series on them.

I have read the Pagan Portal series on the Morrigan, Celtic Paganism, and Brigid, they were all very well written. I believe the authors of those are Morgan Daimler, Courtney Weber, and Stephanie Woodfield. So start learning more about her through books Learn religions with a search for some more good in depth information on her.

7 Likes

Many people are in the exact boat you are, wondering whether deity work is right for them or not. That’s okay! There’s not really an easy answer here, honestly. The one thing that I would say is to approach any deity with respect, let your intuition guide you, and learn as much about the deity as possible.

Go slow, too. There’s no race to be won, no finish line to see – deity work is often a long process. In my experience with Celtic deities, it is a reciprocal relationship. They aren’t the type of deity that you can just approach with a request, give one offering, and get something out of it. There are devotions, offerings, prayers, etc. It’s building a relationship to last that is symbiotic – both of you will work together for each others’ benefit.

I’ll see if I can find any information to share with you about Aine – I know I have a book about Irish deities by Morgan Daimler around here somewhere…

5 Likes

Thank you very much @Susurrus and @MeganB I will research Her and learn all there is to know about Her.
Last night during my Lunar Gemini guided meditation when you are guided to another realm I found myself in the Faery Realm, which was such a beautiful place… A bunch of Faeries came up to me. I did’nt see the Goddess but I do know that She is the Faery Queen so I am guessing that the door is slightly open? I have never even thought of visiting The Fae before. And it was’nt something I planned before I started the meditation… It’s just a place where I found myself to be. Just the thought of them all warms my heart…

6 Likes

Morgan Daimler has a book called Pagan Portals - The Gods and Goddesses of Ireland: A Guide to Irish Deities. It has a small section on Aine.

7 Likes

@anon87969570 - This is the book I’m thinking of! I went searching for it last night but I appear to have misplaced some of my books :thinking: I’ll have to spend some time finding it.

@yolande1 – What a wonderful meditation!

6 Likes

This is the one I was thinking of at first too that I couldn’t come up with also! I have a book too that is good about them… let me see if I can find it, Aine is also in there too & part of the book is cowritten with Courtney Weber who also writes for Pagan Portals…

Found it!

The Spirit of the Celtic Gods and Goddesses: Their History, Magical Power, and Healing Energies; Carl McColman, Kathryn Hinds - Authors, Courtney Weber - Foreword

I read that & it also gives a good overview of them & great place to start with learning & moving forward from there. :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

:blush::blush: I have this one, too. I really enjoyed it but couldn’t remember if Aine was in it.

5 Likes

Ahh, you know what? I found my Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folklore. Here’s what it has to say about Aine!

Áine (Enya)

Irish goddess, heroine or spirit. Irish legend offers several figures of this name, which means “brightness” or “splendor”. Historical figures of this name tend to be male and are connected with the Limerick/north Kerry area of the southwestern province of Munster; mythological figures are female and are typically connected to the same area, although the name is found as far away as Ulster. The most prominent Áines of myth may be ultimately the same or may derive from the same original.

Áine of Knockainy [Cnoc Áine], usually described as a fiary queen although she is probably a diminshed goddess, who inhabits a hill near storied Lough Gur in east Co. Limerick. Several scholars connect her with Anu (Danu), the great goddess of Munster who have her name to the Tuatha Dé Danann, the tribe of the goddess Danu.

There are indications that she was a sun goddess, for she was connected with solar wells like Tobar Áine near Lissan in Ulster as well as being linked with the sun goddess Grian, her sister; but at other times she is described as related to Finnen, “white,” an obscure goddess of the Lough Gur region. As sun goddess, Áine could assume the form of an unbeatable horse, Lair Derg (“red mare”).

Áine’s special feast was held on either midsummer night, the summer solstice on June 21, or on Lughnasa, the Celtic feast on August 1. At that time, straw torches were waved over animals that were then driven up the slopes of Knockainy to solicit Áine’s protection. She is sometimes called Áine Chlair, either from the connection with the “cliars” or torches used in such ceremonies, or from Cliu/Cliach, the ancient name for the territory. “The best-hearted woman that ever lived,” as she was locally called, was reported to have been seen on the slopes of her mountain even into recent times, offering help to those in need.

The long list of Áine’s lovers includes both gods and mortals. Among the former was the sea god Manannán Mac Lir. Áine’s brother Ailléen fell in love with Manannán’s wife, and Manannán with Áine, so Manannán gave his wife to Ailléen in exchange for the charms of Áine. (A varient has Áine as daughter rather than lover to Manannán.) Although a lustful goddess, she also has a matronly aspect, for her “birth chair” can be seen on the mountain Knockadoon.

Áine was the lover of Maurice (Muiris), the human Earl of Desmond, who stole her cloak in order to capture her; once captured, she bore him a son, Geróid Iarla or Gerald the waterbird. Warned against showing any surprise at their magical son’s behavior, Maurice remained composed at all times – until Geróid was fully grown and showed himself able to shrink almost into invisibility at will. When his father called out in astomishment, Geróid disappeared; he is said to live still in Lough Gur and to ride around it every seven years on a white horse. The descendants of Áine’s son – the Geraldines or Fitzgeralds – long claimed sovereignty in western Munster through this descent from the goddess of the land.

Áine did not always go willingly to prospective lovers; she was responsible for the death of the hero Étar, who expired of a broken heart when she rejected him. She was also said to have resisted Ailill Olom, who took her against her will and whose ear she ripped off in her unsuccessful fight against him; the child of the rape was Eógan, a story that some scholars describe as an invention of his descendants, the Eóganacht rulers, to affirm control of the lands under Áine’s sovereignty.

Some legends connect Áine with madness, for those who sat on her stone chair went mad, and if they sat there three times, they would never recover their wits. Those who were already mad, however, could regain their sanity through the same process.

Áine of Donegal, from the parish of Teelin in the townland of Cruachlann, near another mountain called Cnoc Áine; there Áine was said to have been a human woman who disappeared into the mountain to escape a savage father. She now spends her time spinning sunbeams, this story says, suggesting that the folkloric figure disguises an ancient sun goddess. A folk verse from the area has Áine telling discontented wives how to weaken their husbands with “corn warm from the kiln and sheep’s milk on the boil.”

Áine of the Fenian Cycle, daughter of either the fairy king Cuilenn or a Scottish king, was the lover of Fionn Mac Cumhail, by whom she had two sons. Áine and her sister Milucra fought for Fiann’s affections; Milucra turned him into a graybeareded ancient who would be uncomplelled by lust, but Áine restored him to youth with a magical drink. Fionn, however, married neither of the sisters.

The Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folklore by Patricia Monaghan

5 Likes

Thank you so much i will definitly look this book up. It was full moon here last night so the perfect time to try make a connection for the first time with The Goddess… I know when i do spell work and things are going well my emotions all sit in my throat chakra… Which it did…

My question… When trying to connect with a Deity, how often should one give offerings etc etc?

4 Likes

@MeganB o my word that was an amazing read… Reading that, i made more of a likeness between her life and mine… That part about the savage Father… Another similarity… I am now convinced more than ever that this Lady Goddess is the One for me… I get a lump in my throat as I say that…
You are amazing @MeganB… thank you, thank you so much for that information. As I sit here I have goosebumps running up and down my body. Big hugs to you…

4 Likes

I give my deities offerings whenever I feel like it feels right or when I am going to meditate or connect with them, so whenever I am actively working with them or I feel that they have something they need to share with me. I do have a section of my main altar for 1 of my deities & a section of my nightstand next to my bed for my 2nd deity. Their items, and representations, are all with their section of each altar. I make my own incense so they each have their own little jar of incense with them too.

When I am connecting with them in any way, I set up my altar the way it feels right to honor them & I usually say an invocation, or meditation :woman_in_lotus_position: , & draw an oracle card afterward for an overall message. That’s my practice though, do what feels right for you!

Anytime I use a liquid or herbs, or plants for an offering… well… the liquid I return to the earth. I have a piece of natural quartz from the white mountains as a cornerstone in my front garden, so I will pour the liquid I used over that… if it’s herbs or what have you I will bury them in the same area unless I use those same ingredients for my deities’ incenses, sometimes if I am running low, I will make incense out of the offering for the deity I am working with if I don’t bury it in the yard.

Sometimes I leave the offerings all day, sometimes for 4 to 6 hours… it really depends on what we have connected about & how it went or I am feeling.

3 Likes

Thank you for that @Susurrus that actually helps me a lot… I always thought there was a specific time and it has to be done in a specific way. I am learning a lot from you. I appreciate that. You have given me so many ideas. You teaching me to follow my intuition. You have no idea how much that means to me. I have never thought of more than one altar. What a brilliant idea. I always like to meditate in my bedroom and now i can have that one special place to do that. I can keep my main altar for spellwork… Ooo now my mind is running wild…
I too have a section in my yard where i bury spell remains but what an awesome idea to make that a sacred space too…
My mom has green fingers and is so amazing when it comes to setting up spaces in the garden. She is going to be visiting me for the next few weeks so i can pick her brain a little bit.
I love the way you describe your practice. Its so gentle and heart warming… Thank you for sharing with me.

3 Likes

Sorry million questions here… But do you give your offerings after you have connected? Or before you start?

2 Likes

You’re very welcome @yolande1 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m happy to help!

I agree with Siofra on this one. I give offerings whenever I feel I need to, whenever a deity calls me to, or whenever I have a favor to ask.

No worries for the questions! :blush: I know I’m not Siofra but I’m gonna answer anyway lol for me, I give offerings before making a connection or sitting down to meditate or commune with the deity. It’s sort of like showing up to the door of someone’s house with a gift – you give the gift, then chat and hangout, if that makes sense.

3 Likes

Hi Megan :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I understand… Yes makes perfect sense…

3 Likes

I think we both do the same here too, so I can absolutely agree with this 100% :100:

Thinking about it, I set up my altar or space with the offering before I do any ritual or meditation to connect with a deity. Depending on what I’m doing, I may keep it there overnight or for as little as 4 hours… it really depends on what I’m doing & the actual time I have for the day when doing anything.

Also if I am outside or not when I’m connecting, I do that very differently than when I am inside. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.