Happy Beltane/May Day

This is my first Beltane as a solitary pagan practitioner. I wanted to learn a little bit more about what is going on this time of year & what I am celebrating. I don’t want to blindly follow the masses when I don’t understand what it is I am doing. So I did some research this morning & this is what I found:

By

Patti Wigington

Updated February 03, 2020

April’s showers have given way to rich and fertile earth, and as the land greens, there are few celebrations as representative of fertility as Beltane. Observed on May 1st (or October 31 - November 1 for our Southern Hemisphere readers), festivities typically begin the evening before, on the last night of April. It’s a time to welcome the abundance of the fertile earth, and a day that has a long (and sometimes scandalous) history.

(The links will go to further information about the highlighted topic)

It definitely causes for celebration. Fertility of the earth reminds me of gardening, which I got to do yesterday & a couple of other times throughout the week. Today we are going to be transplanting my bleeding hearts to the very front of the house. They are shade lovers & right now they are in full sun. They are a beautiful pink color this year. I do have one set of them by my forsythias & it is doing wonderfully. The Goddess & the God are going to come together & the Goddess will transition from Maiden to Mother. It marks halfway between Winter & Summer.

There are many different ways to celebrate the day, from washing your face with the morning dew to making oatcakes in the kitchen. You can also use the Maypole with your friends. The pole is a phallic symbol & the ribbons decorating it with different colors & patterns. May baskets with flowers or trinkets or candy given to your neighbors will signify the abundance of the season upon us. The focus should be on fertility for this time of the year when the God & Goddess come together.

About Beltane & Recipes

Wheel of the Year: Beltane

Beltane Rites & Rituals

I will be setting up my altar & working around the house. I have some things that I want to get underway before the summer comes & a fresh start on the main floor of my house. I’m not sure what we will have for dinner, but I will look through the recipes & see if there is anything that I can add to our menu for the day.

12 Likes

Happy Beltane my dear! It sounds as if you have some wonderful outdoor plans! Hope you have a good one!

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I’m so new to this and have just done my very first Beltane ritual :smiley:

I’ve come across this absolutely magickal music which I keep on listening the entire evening; I thought you might like it, too:

10 Likes

Happy Beltane :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Me and the kid went down to the River Almond with our little bbq bucket and had a mini bonfire and a picnic :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: then the rain started to that was the end of the Bonfire lol :slight_smile: I hope you had an amazing day :heartpulse:

7 Likes

Thank you, @Susurrus. It was wonderful reading during my first Beltane. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you, everyone. It was my first Beltane as well. We did some much-needed cleaning in the basement so we can make my new room for crafting & a small witchy area in there. We had a fire all day. We burned some wood that was in the basement & then I switched to oak logs. It was a good day, my husband & I hung out for a couple of hours with each other after the basement stuff was done for the day. We got to talk a lot about my last year & a half & how I’m doing now. It was a good day.

8 Likes

I hope everyone had a blessed Beltane! Unfortunately, it rained all day, but I took the time to rest, eat a bunch of my favorite foods, did some yoga for the first time in a while and the ritual on this site in the evening. I’m hoping the weather warms and clears up soon so I can go for a walk in the woods. With all the rain, the little creek should be filled and running.

6 Likes

Dear Coven,
Happy Beltane. This is my first Beltane celebration.

I just did the Beltane celebration from Spells8.
I already had flowers on my Altar, i just cut a few and placed on my altar.

Lit the 3 candles and meditated on my manifestations . It was a beautiful ritual actually. The day was gorgeous as well.

Blessed be to all.

8 Likes

Wonderful Beltane resources, @Susurrus! Thanks so much for spreading the knowledge and Sabbat joy :partying_face: :two_hearts:

Ohhh I am loving that song, @andrea22! Absolutely perfect for the holiday :headphones: :blush:

Same here, @Liisa and @Kasandra! We had some rainy grey skies over Warsaw, but luckily happiness isn’t weather-dependent and we were still able to enjoy the day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Lovely altar set-up, @walter! :heart_eyes:

It sounds like everyone had a wonderful Beltane! Whether your holiday is finished or you are planning to continue the celebrations through the next few days- enjoy the season! :candle::blossom:

8 Likes

Happy Beltane!!
Soifra, Thank you for this information this is my first Beltane so I am still learning! I am a little late on my ritual! I will work on mine tomorrow!
Walter, I love your alter!!
Blessed be!
Jeannie!

6 Likes

Gorgeous altar @walter, thank you for sharing! I happy your ritual went well.

Thank you, everyone, we were outside for the 2 days of the weekend, I didn’t have my phone on me, just enjoying what we were doing outside with the fire.

It was my first Beltane & it was pretty good. We got a lot done & were outside the entire weekend. The coals from the fire we had are still hot today & throwing off some heat. I go out & check to make sure nothing has blown around it & the covers are still on the fire pit.

It was a good weekend here! The weather cooperated & rained a little bit last night, but nothing major. It was more of a sprinkle really. We had stayed out there during the beginning of it & went in after it got to be dark & we had to get ready for today. I wish I had pictures, but I had left my phone in the house.

6 Likes

Soifra,
I went outside and had a fire :fire: pit the night before yesterday! I wish I would have had a pic! I am sorry!
Jeannie

5 Likes

Thank you very much @Susurrus

5 Likes

@Jeannie1 , thank you so much!

6 Likes

@BryWisteria , thank you very much.

6 Likes