Hekate/Hecate Book Recommendations

Very cool!

9 Likes

That looks amazing! I’ve signed up for the waitlist for the next edition / in stock! Thank you for sharing!

9 Likes

Here’s a random question. How do you pronounce Hekate?

8 Likes

I’ve been saying it wrong, as usual :laughing:
It’s “Heh – KAH – teh” or "Heh – KAH – tee” @Sivonnah

8 Likes

Pretty sure I pronounce it wrong. I’ve only heard it pronounced once
He-KAH-teh. It sounded so weird to here it pronounced like that cuz that’s certainly not how I pronounced it in my head :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I keep hearing it pronounced heh-kah-tee, and I don’t like it as much as your way (heh-kah-teh) because, in my mind, if it was meant to be like that, it should be spelled “hekati.” :joy:

Edit: Sorry, I read what you said wrong. I thought you were saying that’s how you said it. But it’s how you’ve heard another say it.

8 Likes

Whenever I need to sound out “Hekate”, I just think of this song:

Everyone has great input as always- maybe it’s not too proper of me, but anytime there’s a term used across regions and borders I think of it like a “potehto”/“potahto” kind of thing where maybe there isn’t one set “correct” way to pronounce it. It’s the same debate with “Hekate” versus “Hecate”- both are deemed correct in their own way.

Then again, I’m pretty sure that most of my cross-quarter Sabbat name pronunciations are completely off track, so take this opinion with a grain of salt :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

In my head, I pronounced it as a two syllable word, not three. :laughing: But of the three syllable pronunciations, I like He-KAH-teh. But I also accept that these words have ancient etimologies and come from different languages. I try to say things correctly but do tend to have preferences if there’s a variety in how a word can be pronounced. Ok… I need to get out of bed now :rofl:

9 Likes

:laughing: I try to pronounce things in English (the way we accentuate syllables and letter combinations) a lot of Deity names didn’t originate in America!

8 Likes

There probably are a few variances on the “correct” way, but I think at least trying to get it “correct” is more respectful to the cultures and people’s of history than just doing whatever we feel more comfortable with. It’s not that I don’t have preferences that go against what’s “correct”
either (as I declared in my last reply here), but I’ll go with the “more correct” version over my preference any day.

That being said, I’m coming from a place of hearing the names of people I care about (and my old name) often mispronounced by people who don’t even care to ask how it’s meant to be said and, sometimes, even get angry when you try to correct them. If they asked and still got it wrong, that’s fine. But they don’t even care to ask… They just act like they know your culture better than you do. Like you don’t matter, only they matter…

Obviously, I’m not talking about you all, because this whole conversation is the act of asking how.

And clearly, I do have a bias in that I’ve watched this kind of racism happen a lot and am kind of tired of it. But the main point of what I’m trying to say is that when I study other cultures, I really try to not do to them what I see done to those around me, even if, for whatever reason, my ears prefer one way over the “correct” way.

8 Likes

@Sivonnah my deities being originally from Ireland has led me to learn different things in Old Irish/Gaelic to speak with them including the pronunciation of their names. I have a translator site to put things together & have had someone from Ireland who also practices with them help me when the translator can be confusing to say what it is that I am trying to say to them in their native language. It helps me feel more connected to them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@starborn, maybe not the exact same but my given name has been mispronounced & misspelled for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I would get a shocked look or even confused. Others have spelled it wrong on an account then kind of made it seem like a chore to correct it. My daughter’s first name has always been an issue, even with the schools. When she entered Kindergarten, even though I registered her I had to use her birth certificate & another form that both had her name spelled correctly. When we went to the class orientation type of thing before school started, her name was spelled wrong. I brought it up & told them that they had a copy of her birth certificate & such from registration & they wouldn’t correct it until I brought in a certified copy with another document too!

Every year of school, someone has spelled or pronounced her name wrong. Even the sailing program she has attended for over 5 years. Every time she gets her awards each season her name is spelled wrong. The only time it wasn’t was when her name was engraved on a cup that remains at the yacht club.

8 Likes

I’ve been pronouncing it the same way that others have said it. I’m gonna tag @AIRAM to get some Greek perspective (if you wanna answer!) :heart: and maybe help us figure out how to pronounce Hekate in Greek!

8 Likes

E-KA-TH = HE-CA-TE :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Hooray! :clap: :tada: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you for lending your Greek wisdom!

7 Likes

I thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Hi HE-CA-TE!

9 Likes

@Susurrus It’s blowing my mind how these aren’t one-off events. Like, your daughter is attending these things for years, and even after years, it doesn’t improve. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Does that mean it’s he-ca-tee or he-ca-teh? Sorry, I can’t tell. :sweat_smile:

Edit: I think I’m going to take this as a sign that my brain needs a rest. Time to sneak in a little morning nap. :grin: :sleeping:

9 Likes

That’s awful and I can see how it would be hurtful for you :worried: Apologies, Katerina- I don’t think I worded my reply very well. I’m sorry if what I said brought back bad memories for you :people_hugging:

If I can clarify a bit, I’m certainly not trying to validate people who purposefully disrespect names. Names are special things, sacred in their own way and deserve respect :pray: I was thinking of how differences in languages and limitations in pronunciation abilities along with regional dialects, mean that sometimes different places say the same thing differently. Kind of like the variations between US vs British vs Australian English- the words and pronunciation can be vastly different, yet all are English, and all are correct in their own way.

Now I certainly wouldn’t claim to know what goes on in the mind of a powerful Goddess (goodness knows I hardly know my own little mortal mind! :laughing:), but the name thing makes me think of when I was teaching in Japan and my students couldn’t pronounce my name, so I switched it to make it easier for them to address me in and out of class. I’d like to think that it would be similar- that a deity wouldn’t mind how Her followers spoke Her name, so long as they were doing it respectfully (and the respect is the key part! :star2:)

Again, just sharing my perspective on this in hopes of clarifying. I apologize again that the other post wasn’t well written! :bowing_woman:

Thank you, AIRAM! :pray: :heart: :old_key:

Sweet dreams! :heart: :sleeping_bed: :sparkles:

9 Likes

It’s okay, @BryWisteria! We can’t always know what memories even our own brains are going to dig up. There’s nothing to be sorry for. :people_hugging: :black_heart:

You’re right. An actual deity is unlikely to care about something that’s probably so far beneath their worries. These little hairless apes on a planet making sounds with their throats. :joy:

9 Likes

I got an email 22 minutes ago saying this was back in stock / open for preorder and I clicked the link and it’s already sold out again! :sob:

9 Likes

That’s no fun :slightly_frowning_face: I think it took me about a year wait on a preorder to get mine. Good Luck with the book hunt!

9 Likes