Herb substitutions

Hi, baby witch here, still learning but going mad for information!!

I have the prosperity oil recipe but don’t have any of the herbs it mentions. I have some as an essential oil and assume these will be ok.

but can I use a scrap of an incense stick to replace others? FI I have the dragons blood incense stick but no oil or herb.

Thank you for your answers IA.

Blessed be.

9 Likes

@Jacky Hi, I’m just letting you know that I am looking at that particular one to see what it calls for & how to make it, but just off the cuff… if you have the essential oils that are from that ingredient, you can add about 5 to 10 drops of each oil to a carrier oil or add the essential oils then the carrier oil & add in a sprig or a pinch or bit of Rosemary to substitute for an actual herb. In general rosemary can be used to substitute for any herb, but obviously you don’t want to do that with a few different ones. So… let me look at it & I will be back :smiling_face:

7 Likes

I’m back so, yes… you can add the essential oils & then the dragon’s blood incense stick to the bottle. Do you have cinnamon in the kitchen spices/herbs that you use? You could use that too or just add the rosemary for protection/purification & to give it some other color if you wish & then the carrier oil. If it’s a smaller bottle then I would only use about 5 drops max of each oil in the bottle.

I add the essential oils, herbs, crystals, ingredients before the carrier oil so that the bottle doesn’t overflow or otherwise. :hugs:

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask any more questions! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Hi Sofia. Thank you so much for your answer. Yes I have cinnamon and I have rosemary.

I have a sandalwood oil but it doesn’t say it is an essential oil, is that ok or do I need an essential oil specifically.

Also, I have roses in the garden, could I subby that for the jasmine?

Sorry for all these questions, but if you don’t ask…

7 Likes

There is no such thing as a stupid question when you are learning… :smiling_face:

• Sandalwood oil is okay as long as it’s mixed with the carrier oil & not ingested. Also Sandalwood can be substituted for any other wood (that’s more for future reference)
  • JASMINE-Rose :rose: is a great substitution for Jasmine! They have a similar correspondences to each other. :heart_eyes:
8 Likes

That’s awesome, thank you Siofra

7 Likes

Sorry I spelled your name wrong in the first reply :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

@Jacky, you are very welcome & don’t worry about the name spelling, it’s fine :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi @Jacky, great question! For any spell, you can determine why an herb/oil/flower is being used and find a substitute for that particular intention.

I have Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Correspondences: A Comprehensive & Cross-Referenced Resource for Pagans & Wiccans that I reference daily. I also use the following sites in addition to the ones @Susurrus shared above:

3 Likes

Scott Cunningham also has a an Encyclopedia of Herbs/Plants & their uses & correspondences.

So you absolutely have several options!

Thank you @Amaris_Bane! I forgot about Llewellyn… I have that site bookmarked now :laughing:

4 Likes

@Amaris_Bane Thank you, I’ll have a look at those.

@Susurrus Yes I have loads now, thank you both so much for your help.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.