🛠 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Troubleshooting Spellwork

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Catch-Up! :clock11:

The challenge clock has started once again and we are off to challenge #121! This week you’re encouraged to put perfection to the side as we explore the muddled world of magickal mistakes and troubleshooting :hammer_and_wrench: :sparkles:

The theme for this week’s challenge was inspired by the wonderful @MeganB and is…

TroubleShooting Mechanic Fix Spell Challenge

:woman_mechanic: :sparkles: Troubleshooting Spellwork - The Mechanics of Magick :hammer_and_wrench: :magic_wand:

What do you do when your spell goes wrong?

Let’s face it- not all spellwork goes according to plan. Sometimes in even the best-prepared rituals there are interruptions, missing ingredients, things break, the spell goes off-book, lines are misread, etc. and etc. :broken_heart:

Sometimes the casting goes well, but the results don’t seem to appear. And then there are times when the spell does work- but it turns out that what we wished for, well, isn’t actually the best path forward for us (one of those “be careful what you wish for!” moments) :sweat_smile:

Magick is the art of manifestation but sometimes- for so many various reasons- things just don’t go the way we envision them to.

And that’s okay- witches are humans too! It is okay and normal to make mistakes in magick :handshake:

So this week, we’re throwing perfection and pride out the window to focus on fixing spellwork that goes astray- from magickal improvisation and quick thinking to “undoing” spells and more :mechanic:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s theme challenges you to handle spells that go differently than expected - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

65b165a6b5c73ee8d13a450de6c6113b
Gif from Pinterest

STEP 1 : How to Troubleshoot Your Spell :hammer_and_wrench:

This challenge is all about regaining control of spells that veer off course- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin?

To help you get started, the following list has a few suggestions in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

:open_book: Explore Magickal Fixes

There are as many ways to troubleshoot as there are potential ways for a spell to go astray- as such, the right fix for your spell will largely depend on your situation.

Here are a few resources, discussions, and shared experiences that may help you find ways to fix, alter, or otherwise reinterpret the spell you are troubleshooting:

→ Do you have some personal spellcasting tips for fellow witches on what to do if a spell goes awry? Feel free to share your witchy wisdom and help others for this challenge!

Choosing Your Battles - Sometimes, after examining the spell from every angle, the correct “fix” isn’t a fix at all- it’s making the decision to take a step back from the spell for the time being. It takes a lot of wisdom and courage to set a spell aside, especially if it deals with something very meaningful or important, but sometimes it is the right choice for the current moment. You can always go back to a spell later in a different situation or state of mind :pray:

:thought_balloon: Reflection

Feel free to reflect on and share a situation where your spell didn’t go according to plan and you had to think creatively to fix the problem. Your solution may help fellow witches in a similar situation :handshake:

Art by Marcus Freeman: Witch x Mechanic

:slot_machine: GAME: Spell Roulette

Want to play a magick game to test your spell troubleshooting skills? :wink:

1. Flip open your Book of Shadows, Grimoire, or perhaps choose a random spell from the Spells8 collections :open_book: :point_left:

2. Chances are, for an unplanned spell, that you don’t currently have the right ingredients, moon phase, or situation the spell calls for (if things do align perfectly, that might be a sign from a higher power that you should be casting this particular spell- cast it, but choose another spell for Spell Roulette! :laughing:)

3. Using your knowledge, resources, and ingredients that you have on hand- try your best to work the spell! (If you get stuck, feel free to call on the coven- it is 100% okay to use resources for this challenge, and the coven is one of the best resources a witch can have! :infinite_roots:)

Good luck to those who choose to play Spell Roulette! :raised_hands:

:raised_hands: …And More!

From magickal fixes to ways to work around problems, advice about spell results or stepping back from a spell and more- there are many ways to tackle this challenge!

As always, feel free to be creative and unafraid to embrace your own unique practice in how you explore the theme this week :star2:

Picture from Exemplore: Witchcraft: My Spell Didn’t Work… What Went Wrong?

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

For your entry to be counted towards the challenge, please share:

1. How you explored magickal troubleshooting this week

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here for instructions on where to post your entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new thread in the forum (doing so keeps your entry separate and is a good option if you have a lot to share)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, November 29 at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( Time Converter: 2022-11-29T06:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from the Worst Witch Wiki

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Art by Damilola Oyesiku: Spell Gone Wrong

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Spells can be easy and spells can be fun,
But like everything, there’s always the one-
Every now and again you’ll be faced with a fight-
But a little troubleshooting will make it alright!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed be! :hammer_and_wrench: :sparkles:

14 Likes

Hmm, I’ll have to put on my thinking cap for this one!

11 Likes

I like the idea of playing a game for this one :laughing: Maybe I’ll choose a random spell and try to find substitutions for each ingredient? I’m not sure yet :thinking: I’m with @Amethyst – thinking cap it is!

11 Likes

I feel like there a lot of different things that I do this with to kind of make them my own or reset something. So like @Amethyst… it’s thinking cap :billed_cap: time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11 Likes

This is really different challenge and so I am trying to wrap my head around it! Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Jeannie

11 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge - Troubleshooting Spellwork. - Entry

This is going to be a definite challenge for me. I have, what I believe, is an entity messing with me. I think it follows me wherever I live. It is now messing with my son. I downloaded an old app of mine but now I am thinking that was not a good idea. This app is a Ghost Detector. You walk around the room, and it gives off readings. Tonight, was the first time it ever said to me “there is an entity, talk to it, ask it a question”. It made me nervous but excited as well. …You will have to read the rest of what else just happened in my Weekly Witchy Challenge.

12 Likes

Sorry guys work is insanely busy so just popping in to share super quickly…

I found a whole chapter on “troubleshooting” and a spell that I thought to share to help if you’re having a little magickal slump.

9 Likes

@Amethyst I know great things have come from you and your thinking cap- I’m excited to hear what you’ll choose to do! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@MeganB Hahaha I’m glad you like the game! I was writing it out and realized hey, this sounds more like instructions than a suggestion- time to make a game! :laughing: Good luck and I hope you have fun with it!

@Susurrus Ohhhh making a spell your own/adapting it to better suit your intention sounds like spellwork mechanics to me, that’s a great way to approach it! :blush: Good luck with whatever you choose!

@Jeannie1 This theme is certainly more thought-based, but there are hands-on ways one could approach it! Like doing a spell that you’ve adapted or “fixed” to better suit your needs, or playing the Spell Roulette game to test improvising skills :grinning: :+1: However you choose to take on the challenge, I’m wishing you good luck, Jeannie! :heart:

@Medea Interesting about your entity! Do you think it’s messing with you and your son in a negative or harmful way, or are you getting the feeling it just wants to communicate with you? Please stay safe if you choose to reach out to it- wishing you good luck and I hope it all works well! :pray::ghost:

@jessica72 Thanks for taking the time to pop and say hi, Jessica- I hope all is well at work and that you’re able to catch your breath soon! :pray: :heart: These are awesome resources- there was a discussion about spiritual materialism not too long ago and I think the “mystical magpie syndrome” sums up many of those points pretty well. I might have to use that term in the future! :raven: The Mirror Spell is a lovely one- thank you so much for sharing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

This should be fun and interesting! I’m thinking on it!

6 Likes

@Jeannie1 I have those times with some challenges too, but I agree with @BryWisteria that using a spell or ritual that you have modified in some way is a good way to think about it for an entry, that was the first thing that came to my mind & after at least today… I should have my entry ready to post later in the day at the latest tomorrow.

@Medea… be safe reaching out & also good luck!

@jessica72 it always makes me smile when I see you have popped in :star_struck: I completely get being busy… I believe it happens to all of us at some point! Life is funny that way, or at least it thinks its funny :laughing: Thank you for sharing the information & resources! I’m sure it will be very helpful to others & I like the spiritual materialism term as well!

6 Likes

@Medea
I hope you don’t mind, but I checked the app store for apps that matched your description. The reviews stated that the app “finds” a ghost at the same time intervals, regardless of whether the person was walking around or not. The ‘ghost’ was then to be asked one of several pre-selected questions.
It appears that this is simply a game for entertainment.
I’d hate for you to believe in this given that you seem to have a true ‘entity’ problem.
Please stay safe & keep us posted

9 Likes

So that explains why I always have ghosts around my desk at work. Lol! I thought the old courthouse I work in was haunted. I’m pretty sure it is, can you imagine the negative energy in that building? Anyway, I knew that ghost app wasn’t real, but if I pay attention, I might see something. We are moving out in march and they are tearing it down and building a new one. That might just wake up some ghosts!

8 Likes

No I completely understand how that sounds and I really did not post it the right way. I researched before I believe most of the time my intuitions guide me better than anything. Very strange things have been happening in my house lately and now my son lives here and in his room things are not as they seem. So for the hell of it, I brought that app out and all the spots that things are different there seems to be a sensor in this app and it just is a little ironic will use that word cuz I don’t believe in coincidences.

What I wanted to do was do a jump off from that app and use the sensors that they use and try to find some research on this entity in my room but now I know it is not a real app, everybody will be using it but I was hoping to get some information from it. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention this is why I love feedback so much.
Blessed Be
Medea

8 Likes

Challenge Entry-Troubleshooting Spellwork
It may be small and simplistic, but for a newbie it’s sometimes hard to know where you can and can’t substitute.
I’m still very much in the closet as my father is very anti-witchcraft. So any altar needs to be hidden away. I look round my room, and I find “Hello windowsill, no one ever looks back here”. I have a spell that I’d like to keep running round the clock, as to be honest it’s going to need a lot of power and time to do its thing.
It requires 2 candles, but burning them next to a curtain? Bad idea! I find 2 plain white battery powered tealights. I need one black and one orange, so quick treatment with a sharpie, and we have black and orange. I do the consecration spell, and we’re all set, I know now’s not the right time to start a spell of this nature, but the lunar calendar and the timeline I’m up against are not in good alignment so I’m going to have to go for it.

10 Likes

When i first saw the theme i thought it was about using magic to trouble shoot or fix issues or situation but reading the description it seemed more about fixing or trkuble shooting a spell already done thats gone wrong… i cant think of a spell done that sticks out as gone wrong ( maybe some that not sure about or took a while but seem to of shown results ) so while i had ideas for spells to trouble shoot or fix situation im still trying to figure out what to do for what the theme actually about is about in fixing spells gone wrong…maybe some coffee might help me think a bit better. Im so wiped from this week, its been so full on and thats why not posted much lately but also with this challenge i just wasnt sure what to do as couldnt think of a spell that done particularly thats gone wrong. . More mayve i may of done spells ( im sure ive dobe more than can think of ) that i just have forgotten about. Ive been a bit all over thr place and not always recorded in one place or maybe written or even just made notes someehere but not transfered to bos or file n forhotten all about it or it wass a short tsrm spell n it was done worked n i forgot all anout it cause it was in the momenr or time n done n dusted. Amd as i alwats hace so mych on my mind i guess remembering spells done is really hard at the moment becaysr i probably have done heaps more than can think of but my recordung of spells and outcomrs erc has not been the best. I was having some progresd with sabbat bos but i find that i run out of specific sabbat things to put in and tgen other stuff that doesnt fit. Im not sure if this may fit into the challenge but maybe mytroubleshooting could be re lookingbat my book of shadows and how i record magical practices spells ect. And try to condense the spread of resources to help simplify things especjally when im so busy and habe so much going on. I hace some simple stuff or spells that i can remember off top of head that would use more than once like the mirror one with sending evil or negativity far away from me.
“Whatever evil comes my way, be it night or through the day, send it back, far far away” ok maybe last bit of that im nkt sure i git exactly right, it has been a while and maybe thay s why need to relook at my BOS and how record stuff just to jog memory if it has been a while and not sure i am remembering wording exactly right. . I dont know maybe this is completely off track. Seeing as my first thought on what the challenge was off track i may if fully misunderstood what might fit into the challenge and i cant remember enough of my spells thay might be able to think of been able to fit into a catagory of " didnt work or gone wrong". Sorry hout that.

9 Likes

I completely believe you when you say that there’s something, may I use the term “off”, in your house. For most of my life, odd things have happened in mine, and even my mother claimed to have seen a male spirit here decades ago. She was a realist, so a claim like that stuck.
Things go missing here only to return months later in the exact place searched numerous times. Sounds can be heard, etc. But it’s not a malevolent entity at all. I’d go so far as to say it’s highly protective of those who live here & welcomed guests.
I’m more ‘scientific,’ if you will, in my traditional witchcraft & believe in Dark Energy & Dark Matter beings as those we consider ghosts, etc
Have you considered contacting a medium, or pastor to help?

10 Likes

123 Weekly Witchy Challenges - Trouble shooting Spellwork

CHALLENGE ENTRY – GARNET - Trouble shooting Spellwork

Necessity is the mother of invention and is a great part of magick.
Think about, um… candles. What if you have no wax candles? It doesn’t matter, the point is the flame/fire.
Long before there were candles, real or battery operated. There has been evidence found of oil lamps, simple but primitive, also quite effective.
During the India holiday of Diwali, clay Diya lamps are used as decorations. We can do the same thing by making a lamp out of a dish of oil and a flame. Cotton balls soaked in oil, placed in a clay bowl can be lit. Ta Da fire for your magick. It’s really the flame that is important.

Diya Lamp

These are the cotton wicks used in Diya lamp

Substitutions
There are so many substitutions for herbs and spices. If you look at the Spells8 site there is a lot of information on substitutions.

Sigils
I’ve never done much with sigils and the ones I did do were simple, usually one word. I take great care in following the kiss theory. Keep it, simple sweetie. Never overcomplicate your magick, I think that’s where you might run into trouble.

NEVER ATTEMPT SPELLS IN A HEIGHTENED EMOTIONAL STATE.
Consider the ’ force’ from Star Wars.
Anger, sorrow, rage, and hate, are the things of the dark side, they also can lead you into dark magic. Dark magick can also darken you soul.

Years ago, I read a book by Shelly Laurenston about a witch. She was a very powerful but arrogant Witch. She was impatient with what she called ‘new age hippy witches’ who try to draw down the moon because they never really could.
So in her arrogance, and without thought, she moved the earth closer to the moon.
Do you understand what that would do to the earth’s climate, storms, volcanoes, earthquakes, catastrophic damage, and unbelievable numbers of dead?
She said she fixed it, but millions still would have died. “Collateral damage?

Can you even imagine the Karma she earned? It’s kind of like the old saying be careful what you wish for, you just may get it. Karma is a bitch, so don’t destroy yourself because you want revenge.

Picking your battles
Bry made a great point with she said, pick your battles. We aren’t children and with this new power comes great responsibility. Some battles are eazy peazy, others unwinnable.
Your spell diary is like a can of worms, easy, restful sedate, and quiet.
But if you open it, you see a can of wriggling worms - chaos.
Along with culpability is controlling your powers. Perhaps this is the hardest part of
Magick.

1. Don’t be in such a hurry, and be patient with yourself. [Rome wasn’t built in a day.]
  2. Don’t get ahead of yourself, follow your lessons. Many times I asked that people visit the forum. This is one of your best resources to get advice and answers.
  3. Follow your spell to the letter.
  4. Follow your heart. It won’t steer you wrong.
    Since I came out of the broom closet, I’ve danced to my own drummer.
    I also wasn’t that courageous about practicing magick. For a long time, I was secretive and private. I couldn’t pull a rabbit out of a hat and really, who would want to?

Happy Thanksgiving

Garnet

12 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge - Troubleshooting Spellwork.- Entry

My weekly challenge is improvising. Where I live there arent many metaphysical shops or apothecaries, so I find myself either not doing a spell or having to improvise & find alternative ingredients. This week im going to look into past spells I wasnt able to do & im going to look for ways to improvise them.

11 Likes

No I have not considered that only because I don’t feel threatened or that there’s danger involved. The first time I noticed different things happening in a house I was living in there was a bear that I put on my bed or in my rocking chair in my bedroom and I kept finding the bear moved and then when the rocking just started to actually just been so many different incidences that this post would be way too long.
I greatly appreciate your feedback! I just wanted to research the sensors used when magic is involved. I think this is a challenge I need to skip or go a different route. Mote it Be…
Thanks again :man_mage:t3: :revolving_hearts:
Medea

9 Likes

Thank you. This Challenge has many excellent points. The one of several that I must stay conscious of is, Don’t perform a spell in a heightened emotion.
Blessed Be
Medea

8 Likes