High John the Conqueror Root Work

Hello all! A couple of weeks ago, I asked a witch to help me pick out herbs to bring me luck in a court case. She suggested High John. I hadn’t bought any roots before so I researched it and It is FASCINATING. I learned all about the history and practice of Hoo Doo (different from Voo Doo) and its influence that persists to this day. I was wondering if I should delve into root work when I happened upon a Blogotheque music video on YouTube tonight and lo and behold there was Andrew Bird and another guy singing about High John! I think that’s a sign, don’t you? LOL Anyways…anybody done any root work before ? Mojo bag? Amulet?

7 Likes

Yes that’s a sure sign!!! I’ve made a sachet before with the herb. I can’t remember what for, it’s been so long. But yes, work with it! If you feel called, answer it!!! :blush::pray:

7 Likes

I haven’t worked with this one! I think I am going to look into though & see what I can do with it in the future. Thank you @mary25

5 Likes

I’ve used the oil but not the root. Sounds very interesting!

4 Likes

I don’t know much about Hoodoo and rootwork, but if I’m not mistaken, author Lilith Dorsey has some information about it. I’ll grab some links for you.

5 Likes

Lilith Dorsey has some books on Amazon and Kindle too. Those may be useful.

Here are another book recommendations @mary25:

6 Likes

Exciting, @mary25! :star_struck: I know @Silverbear shared some information about High John the Conqueror. The following post has a recipe for the oil (with a video), some information on the root’s uses in Hoodoo, and some folklore about it:

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you! :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes