Hoodoo practitioner

Thank you everyone for responding and your heartfelt input. I’m am grateful that so many beautiful souls engaged with me. I’m still getting used to that. I wasn’t expecting so many voices to speak up. I lack that in the community where I lived . There is a whole community that’s as quiet as a church mouse.

I’m hoping to engage with new friends and learn even more. Again thank you for responding

11 Likes

Thank you for responding with the define BIPOC term I missed the question.

9 Likes

Merry meet

7 Likes

@MeganB Hi Megan…as I have said many times, “I Love Feedback”, it is one of my favorite ways of learning. Your feedbacks are always very detailed and knowledgeable with such experience. Blessed Be!

Medea

7 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs Thank you for asking that question. I was going to but hoped someone else would… :innocent:

7 Likes

Hi Intentional_Witch
My name is Tracy but I prefer my Witch name Medea. I am fairly new here and this is my home. I am proud to be a member with such amazing, helpful, and I could on and on about Spells 8. Welcome
Medea

7 Likes

@Medea
Don’t ever be afraid to ask questions here. No one will disrespect you.
Blessed be
Garnet

7 Likes

@Intentional_Witch Hello!! I am a practicing green witch, born in North TX and raised in OK/TX border area — I was adopted into a family who has indigenous tribal blood and practiced a lot of folk and native magick. I do not personally have BIPOC within me, but I am familiar with many chants, ceremonies, rituals, charms, spells and other various folk and local indigenous practices from the TEXOMA area.

I now live in CT and recently did a mini-dive into hoodoo, and although I do not practice it specifically, I do embrace many of the charms, witch bottles and other various potions that were passed on to the United States **former enslaved peoples and indigenous peoples from the practices out of Africa.

Welcome to our coven and merry meet!! :brown_heart:

**edited to replace SLAVES to FORMER ENSLAVED PEOPLES

9 Likes

@Garnet Good Afternoon! You are very correct. No one should be afraid to ask a question anywhere but especially here at Spells 8! It truly took me 10-15 min. to figure out the best way to ask the meaning of the Intentional-Witch’s initials in the post. I don’t really know why but, I just waited it out…I almost feel like I cheated…lol

@norlina I have heard of Voodoo/Hoodoo I saw it during my research for one of the Weekly Witchy Challenge’s but did not look into it. I am thinking about looking it up after reading the feedback here to find out what everyone is talking about :melting_face: :woman_mage:

Blessed Be
Medea

8 Likes

Was either of these questions for me? I call myself intentional witch because it’s a reminder for me to do all things in my practice with intention, nothing I do, wear eat or make is without intention, be of the symbolism of everything from colors to smells, materials and such.

The statement on voodoo/hoodoo practitioners my best answer is hoodoo is a spiritual practice I engage in daily voodoo is an African based religious practice an individual must be initiate Into. I do not practice voodoo.

8 Likes

@Intentional_Witch U will find so many like minded brothers and sisters here who will welcome and accept all of u with open arms without condescension. If u have questions all u have to do is ask. We are all here to help each other. U will find people from all walks of life and paths.

I live in a little town of less than 1300 ppl and 7 churches. Its insane. And im smack dab in the bible belt of the south. So i understand not having a community around u. Its hard. But here…oh hon…u will NEVER be alone. And the nice thing here is if someone doesnt know the answer to your question they dont quess. U are told they don’t know, but they will do everything then they can to find it for u. Its not just the mods that do that, its everyone ive met so far.

8 Likes

Hi,
I’m a baby witch very drawn to green magick but also curious about the different types of magick. With magick and in general the media makes anything not following traditional abrahamic faiths out to be evil, but I was wondering what are the main differences between wiccan magick and hoodoo. Obviously hoodoo and voodoo have had the worst wrap in the media for years where magick is concerned. I was just curious about what the difference is between them wiccan and hoodoo magick. No judgement here I promise as I said I’m just curious.
All the best

7 Likes

I knew very little about voodoo, so I looked it up. Zoe DeFazio wrote an informative article for anyone interested.

Blessed be and encouragement in your practice
Love
Garnet

6 Likes

Thank you for that. At the moment I am looking for any information about all types of witchcraft. I have only just accepted my interest in it because of being worried about judgement in my family. I still feel like I have to be a closet witch at the moment but there are definite clues in my bedroom. I’m currently living with parents so not quite where I want to be in my life yet.
Are there any other books or articles you would recommend a baby witch reading up on. Obviously the courses on here are very useful but I have such an intense thirst for knowledge where witchcraft is concerned.
All the best :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I also found this as an explanation between Voodoo & Hoodoo:

Voodoo is an established religion with African roots. It arrived in New Orleans from Haiti and Africa and encompasses a large culture of art, philosophy and music of different spiritual traditions.

In contrast, hoodoo is a mélange of African folklore and beliefs as well as American Indian botany and European folklore. It isn’t linked to a particular theology but can be adapted to different types of religious worship. Most of what we see in movies today is really hoodoo.

Difference between Voodoo & Hoodoo

Wicca, Witchcraft, & Paganism Differences & Similarities

7 Likes

Thank you so much those were so helpful and answered so many questions. It’s good to see it explained rather than portrayed as a dark practise as it is in films like the disney version of princess and the frog which is exactly what the article said.

9 Likes

@terri6
It’s scary to start a new and sometimes controversial journey. Whether it’s climbing the Alps or changing your belief system. But you know what? It takes courage and you have courage a-plenty.
When and or if you come out is a personal decision. Some never do and some shout it to the world.
As far as racing, there are so many books out that I shudder to name them.
Here, you can start with the courses, then, Q&A. The Forum is for any questions you have.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions! In the meantime, stay courageous. I bid you welcome.
Blessed be, stay safe, and know you are loved.
Garnet

8 Likes

Grand rising and blessings to you. So far the difference for me and to me between trying to practice Wicca and Hoodoo is the formalities of Wiccan circle casting, spells and magick in general the opening and closing of conversation. Hoodoo because it was created out of necessity by my ancestors they had to use what was given to them and what they could find on hand mostly plants herbs and roots basic kitchen item such as sugar, salt and pepper.

The easy at which to practice Wiccan traditions is great everything is available because you can go online and find tons of information establishing a practice is simple you may feel you have to buy some items to be more ceremonial or for your altar to look like what you see on line but you don’t. Wicca is adaptable in my opinion

I don’t see many BIPOC people practicing Wicca in my area. Hoodoo however is a little harder to practice because it’s a fairly closed practice even if you are black the information can be hard to come by. I don’t live in a big city where some items may be more accessible. I’m the 1st of my generation to be interested in other spiritual practice outside of Christianity so I have no one to go to or ask questions, but hoodoo appeals to me because of the basic fundamentals of using what you have on hand and not having to purchase items to do a simple candle spell. Or a ton of items for my altars. The difference again for me is I can trace the lineage of Wicca back to a creator, I can’t do that with hoodoo. I know this was long winded I apologize but this is from my vantage point and my experience. I hope it makes sense and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

9 Likes

and every time I come across someone that may know a little something, I find that they’re not dedicated as I am so I just keep doing my own thing lol smh

7 Likes

Besides myself, I’ve never seen BIPOC practice Wicca neither. Shoot, it’s really hard to discuss anything with the people around me because people swear I’m Satan smh that’s another subject however lol

8 Likes