Hoodoo practitioner

@Intentional_Witch I would like to learn.

7 Likes

Blessings to you. Please feel free to ask me questions. I love to teach and to learn.

7 Likes

I wrote a post about the etymology of voodoo and hoodoo in my blog this month. I read a great article on contemporary hoo doo and conjure practices earlier this year but darned if I can find it. It was in a major publication. I also read some masters theses that were online that explained the history of hoo doo in America and even its role in the underground railroad. An interesting aspect in the resurgence of this work is connected with expanding black consciousness and social justice movements, like the Black Lives Matter movement, according to this article. Itā€™s like a craft that is both traditional and historical and modern and relevant at the same time. That is one reason why I find it so fascinating. I explored some justice spells, Lo John and High John root work (and the legends behind them) and compelling herbs, like calamus root.

7 Likes

That was a really informative answer and I love how it was a personal one too about how you feel hoodoo is different. Thank you for that. I could really feel your passion for your craft in your reply.I can understand why it would be difficult to find out information with hoodoo being such a closed practise. I think like most things you follow your instincts and they tend to guide you where you need to be. I have a feeling you will find someone soon who will be able to answer your questions and that they are closer than you think. Possibly one of the lurkers that have been mentioned in a previous post by someone but I feel like also in physical form with someone you will be able to meet with.
:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you and blessings for your prophecy. I could only answer from my experience. I believe you are right. I do use my intuition and rely on it a great deal. I have found over the last three years that I do instinctively being to practice something in my craft and then come across it online or meeting someone that has been practicing for years. I am passionate about my craft because it gives me so much peace and joy. Iā€™m not keen on thee lurker term for me it gives off a negative connotation like stalker. I just consider them to be members that are stand by assist. I agree that they may be more introverted online but I wouldnā€™t want to call them shy because I donā€™t know that. Iā€™m a outgoing introvert. I know how in different situations to be more engaging to accomplish my goals, and I know closed mouths donā€™t get feed. Iā€™ve always been what the church use to call me is Peter. I would speak sometimes to quickly but I also considered myself to be a Philip because I ask a lot of questions. Thatā€™s what got me kicked out of a few churches. But thatā€™s neither here nor there. Sorry about the squirrel. I appreciate conversation itā€™s a way to grow. Thank you for being in this space. Blessings to you

9 Likes

Grand rising Queen please feel free to talk with me anytime. I completely understand feeling that those around you arenā€™t as dedicated to their spiritual life. It can be discouraging. Iā€™m glad you reached out to me.

9 Likes

Grand Rising Queen Iā€™m glad you reach out. Please feel free to chat with me anytime.

8 Likes

Blessings a few things I did when I decided to transition was to 1st look at different YouTubers that aligned with my approach visually, I would look at their content to see if it appealed to me and if the topics were of interest to me. Searching for topics that interests me opened the door for me to find a lot of content creators. I didnā€™t find them over night it took months. Some I still follow others have been less watched. Iā€™ve been thinking about restarting my channel because of my growth but making videos take a lot of time and effort.

2nd thing I did was to hit the book store when a content creator would recommend beginner books. If it was on a topic I was interested in. I would search for it. I have a awesome digital library on audible, and I think Iā€™m on my 2nd book case.

3rd thing I did when I was in the closet and couldnā€™t come completely out was intentional wear certain colors on certain days with my crystals. No one will question why you are wearing a White top on a Sunday or a green on a Thursday and black on a Friday for example. Being in the broom closet you must get creative. When I started performing knot magic no one thought of me doing anything outside of learning how to crochet. Or when I started making my own soaps and using herbs in them for personal use. Friends and family was like oh can you make me some. Lol it was fantastic

9 Likes

Wow! I love this!

9 Likes

Hi @terri6

I just noticed that this is the first time you have posted, I just wanted to welcome you! Iā€™m curious too!

Love :heart: and hugs :hugs:

7 Likes

Hi thank you, blessings to you

8 Likes

Thank you so much. I am a very baby witch as I have only really started embracing the craft within the last month and only found spells8 2 weeks ago via an online search for resources for baby witches. I am usually ā€œthe quiet oneā€ but change and adapt if I am comfortable. I feel a real community sense here so I am comfortable posting in the forum whereas I wouldnā€™t normally interact. I have an empathic friend who encouraged my interest in witchcraft and still does. I have just made my first batch of black salt and have egg shells and managed to collect my first batch of rain water. Funnily enough when I collected the rain water first I put the jar out in the rain and it was only a light shower so I thought I wonā€™t be able to collect it. Then it was like the universe heard me and it absolutely poured down and I was able to fill my jar :slight_smile: my first instinct was to take a little and put it on my third eye. I was filled with joy instantly when I did and had to close my eyes with the feeling of euphoria that felt so right which only lasted a few seconds but the positive vibration was strong when I did it.
I have been using essential oils in baths and had researched their health benefits as well as using them in an oil burner for some time. I had also been meditating on and off for a few years. I have also interpreted my dreams regularly for years and have been visited in them many times by departed loved ones with messages but also just to give me their love. So everything I do has been craft orientated. I was raised christian from my grandmother but always felt that yes there is something bigger than us out there but not the way that human religion portrays it, and in particular the Abrahamic faiths like christianity. I have seen and felt spirits for years, get knowledge of the future or about a person from seemingly nowhere, and have been very empathic for years too. Nature has always soothed me as well. All of those things had pointed to the fact that I was a born witch but as people find the term witch a bad thing, people were more comfortable labelling me as psychic and even then people are doubtful and try to prove me wrong in some way shape or form.
I have always embraced being ā€œpsychicā€ but now am embracing being a witch and starting to practise the craft.

9 Likes

I am a very new member to both the spell8 community and witchcraft as I only started embracing witchcraft fully within the last month, and I joined the spells8 community 2 weeks ago. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@Intentional_Witch thank you for the information. I will start with your advice and see what Iā€™m comfortable with in learning. letā€™s keep in touch! We can discuss what Iā€™ve learned etc.

9 Likes

welcome @terri6. I so love this website and the people I have met. I wish one day we can all come together in one place to celebrate our connections, I think that would be so awesome.

10 Likes

@NubianQueen oh now that WOULD be cool

8 Likes

That would be the most fantastic gathering. Blessings to you

7 Likes

@NubianQueen oh it would be a glorious site to behold. Many blessings to u aswell sister

7 Likes

Thank you so much I am touched. Letā€™s pick a day that would work. Iā€™m an assistant manager of a book store and have my own business. I own Inner Magic Spa itā€™s a metaphysical spa. I gave this information because my lightest day may be Sundays. Iā€™ll reach out on Sunday to see what youā€™ve been up to. Is there a day that is less busy for you?

8 Likes

@Intentional_Witch oh honey im disabled, and had to retire from being a 911 dispatcher supervisor in 2019, due to my illness. My doctor forced the issue. So im always available. :joy:

The only issue is my illness makes travel very difficult. I cant sit, stand, or lay down for long periods of time without severe pain.

7 Likes