Identifying Antiques

5710efbf25f99_tirechangerchar..jpg.f5d5d1f804e6bf8336de3901d54525b5

Anybody got a guess?

6 Likes

I have an idea, but it’s because of my husband’s job & I have seen things similar to this in his shop.

Does it have something to do with tires & maybe putting them on the rim or the vehicle?

6 Likes

fefa888e13dd563702becd860b026b59
Does anyone know what this is?
Garnet

8 Likes

Anybody know what this is and where, how and why it was used.
Garnet

6 Likes

Some sort of torch?

7 Likes

It’s a trivet. For hot pans and stuff.

7 Likes

@Garnet I did a Google Image Search and came up with cylinder.

a cylindrical body or space: such as

a : the turning chambered breech of a revolver

b(1) : the piston chamber in an engine

(2) : a chamber in a pump from which the piston expels the fluid

c : any of various rotating members in a press (such as a printing press)especially : one that impresses paper on an inked form

d : a cylindrical clay object inscribed with cuneiform inscriptions

The last two seemed interesting…

7 Likes

Yes! I found it described as Dutch Oven Trivet…5 points to you @Amethyst !!!

7 Likes

Looks like an antique blow torch. Here’s a video of someone using one:

9 Likes

The torch looks right and it says Dunlap which I think relates to tires. Maybe a torch for tire repair or something. Heating rubber for patching tires perhaps?

8 Likes

That’s great thinking!!!

6 Likes

I was going to say a drain for an old bath tub or something :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I don’t know the specific origin of Dunlap, except that it was a name by Sears for handtools & such for the homeowner.

I did find the History of Blow Torches if anyone is interested in their development over time & their initial uses.

5 Likes

I think I have a trivet somewhere that looks like this, so I kinda cheated. LOL.

3 Likes

Yes, Rowan, it’s a trivet. This particular one is a Dutch oven Trivet, used to make roasts without meat sticking to pan. Put browned roast on trivet, add vegetables, stock, preferred spices bring to boil then lower heat, cover, cook 1-2 hours depending on the degree of tenderness wanted. Works great on poor cuts of beef and or a good barbeque.
Garnet

3 Likes

Ah Francisco! As always you come through. It’s an antique blow torch. When I was a small girl, the electric went out and dad took the burner out of our stove, put the torch in it and Mama cooked dinner.
"Necessity is the mother of invention.
Garnet

7 Likes

What is this?

6 Likes

A grinder of some kind…?

3 Likes

Oh I’ve seen one of those!! I think its an old fashioned strainer of some sort?? Perhaps for squeezing juices from berries in jam making? Much like how people use potato ricers + cheesecloth for the same thing? I’ll have to forward the image to my grandmother now :joy: She’s big into canning/ jam making, so she’d know for sure if that’s what it is.

EDIT: Just got off facetime with my grandma! That is what it’s for! another thing she used it for was to separate the pulp from persimmons to make jam from the juice and bread from the pulp! :smiley:

6 Likes

It’s called a Ricer, you can used it to make applesauce, mashed potatoes, anything that needs to be strained.
Great Job every one
Garnet

4 Likes