It it okay to sleep with a mirror nearby?

I hear that you’re not supposed to sleep next to a mirror but I still do every night :smile:

13 Likes

@CelestiaMoon Why can’t you sleep next to a mirror? What will come through? :flushed::sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

I’ve never heard any details to why you shouldn’t… :thinking:

14 Likes

Sleeping next to a mirror or having a reflective surface facing your bed is inadvisable. Light bouncing off mirrors can keep you awake at night, startle you or your pets, and cause hallucinations and sound echoes. So, always move or cover mirrors overnight.

What Happens if You Sleep Next To A Mirror? - Sleep Bubble

[image]

Hmmm @CelestiaMoon I’ve never heard that before. Learn something new everyday!

13 Likes

Thank you @Ostara, that was an interesting article! :blush:

Personally I’m only a little worried by this one:

• Mirrors can drain personal energy and élan, causing insomnia.

I think @starborn knows a thing or two about feng shui, could you elaborate on that? :black_heart:

14 Likes

Did someone summon me? :smiling_imp:

Oh, easy. They’re already covered above. :smile:

This website specifically, 家中鏡子擺放的十大禁忌之地!|最好的柚木實木家具品牌-優渥設計, mentions the light reflecting off the mirror.

This one, 【臥室風水】安床擺放風水宜忌|最好的柚木實木家具品牌-優渥設計, also adds that mirrors are used to reflect evil spirits, so I suppose we wouldn’t want to reflect them into our sleeping bodies.

It also mentions the bit about hallucinations.

Generally, feng shui is all about the flow of energy. Feng 風 is wind, shui 水 is water, so you can imagine the emphasis on “flow.”

Therefore, mirrors being something that bounce energy generally aren’t something you’d want to try to rest in front of. I think that’s generally why mirrors are so talked about with feng shui.

Nothing will bounce energy around like they do and I have a feeling that this belief comes from how well they reflect light. Ancient China was very scientific, so despite the flavour of mysticism over the top, the science and the spiritual are likely one and the same.

That being said, I don’t know what it’s like not to sleep next to a mirror over the long-term. I think we mostly just avoid having our feet facing the mirror or the door. Side-by-side isn’t a serious issue, in my opinion.

13 Likes

Thank you, I knew you could help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The full body mirror is facing the side of my bed, on the same side as the window, and in a way that I’m not seeing my face when I look at it, so I think that’s about as harmless it can be without moving it elsewhere or covering it?

I would prefer to avoid this though :smile:

13 Likes

Yeah, I would say you have nothing to worry about. :smile: :black_heart:

If you ever feel like experiencing a real-life horror movie on purpose, though, put a full-body mirror at the end of your bed, wake up in the middle of the night, and sit up to stare at yourself in the mirror. :laughing:

Although, yes, that would mean you’d have to go to bed before the sun nears the horizon. Maybe that’s the true “horror” in the horror story. :wink:

12 Likes

Very interesting :thinking:. I don’t have a mirror in my bedroom, not really thought about putting one in either. I was raised on stories of bloody mary as a kid, say her name backwards and you’ll wake her spirit. Also told never to say the lord’s prayer in a mirror after midnight, but this is probably just old English superstition (my mother is very superstitions :flushed:). I suppose entities coming through makes sense, it’s a scrying devise too so yeah, something could drop in and say hi :rofl:

Yep that would do it :scream:

12 Likes

My mirror is on the side of the bed. No worries here. Lol!

12 Likes

Door??? Why should my feet not face the door? That’s the only way my bed fits in my room! Now I’m concerned. :hushed::pleading_face::flushed:

12 Likes

It’s not that great of a deal unless u are superstitious or prefer Fung shei or however u spell it

12 Likes

That’s a relief :smile_cat:

Or I’d just be like “well hello there beautiful, do you come here often?” :laughing: :heart_on_fire:

(sauce)

13 Likes

I think it’s because the dead get carried out feet first. Either way, the risk is having your soul pulled out the door or something.

Although, as @Devenne said, if it’s not part of your belief system, there’s nothing to worry about. I’m half Chinese, so I feel drawn to feng shui a bit. I don’t worry about losing my soul, but it feels like honouring the traditions of ancestors and stuff. :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

I get that. I would move my bed if I could but there is absolutely no other way to arrange my room. Too many doors!

14 Likes

I understand. Our bedroom is just big enough to fit the bed, barely has any walking room around it at all. Limited options… We don’t live in mansions. :laughing:

14 Likes

Don’t mind me extracting this conversation train from the Sunday night randomness thread - these points about the mirror are really interesting! Hopefully having a space of their own will prevent them from getting lost in the canyons of the other discussion and hopefully make them easier to find again in the future :grinning:

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and thoughts about mirrors! :pray: :mirror: :sparkles:

14 Likes

I didn’t even notice that there was this much conversation in the middle of that other thread, well spotted @BryWisteria :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Hopefully it’ll help others wondering about the same thing find their answers too :pink_heart:

13 Likes

It’s one of the beauties of the general/open discussion spaces - there are often a lot of great insights and fun topics opened up and explored! When one conversation begins to take on a life of its own, that’s usually our cue to upgrade it to its own home :blush:

I agree completely - it’s an interesting topic to explore! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:mirror: :sparkles:

14 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria ! Great idea to give it a special place of its own :purple_heart::purple_heart:

12 Likes