Kenaz - 6th Rune of the Elder Futhark & Freya's Aett :kaunan:

Image Source Credit

Rune Name: :kaunan: Kenaz (6th Rune of the Elder Futhark & Freya’s Aett)

Germanic Name: Kenaz, torch or Kaunaz, sore

Phonetic Value: K

Pronunciation: KAY-nahz

Translation: Torch, Ulcer, Knowing

Modern English: Keen

Rune Number: 6

Polarity: Female :female_sign:

Color Association(s): Light Red

Elemental Association(s): Air :wind_face: , Fire :fire:

Deity Association(s): Freya & dwarves

Herbal Association(s): Cowslip

Tree Association(s): Pine :evergreen_tree:

Astrological Association(s): Venus :astrology_venus:

Month/Days: September 13 - 28

Chakras: Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus

Tarot Card(s): Ace of wands :wand_tarot: , 8 of Pentacles :pentacle_tarot:

Magickal Uses: Use Kenaz when you are studying, creating, or when you would like to manifest something in your life. You can use it when you are in unfamiliar territory, figuratively or literally to help chase the shadows back. Creativity, inspiration, healing, love, balanced relationships, adds power to runic talismans.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Torch, burning, knowledge, light, heat, breakthrough. Once we know, we can’t unknow. Especially when transitioning from blissful child to pained adult. Light of the darkness, as well as warmth that fire provides. On a metaphysical level, this is also the light of knowledge & enlightenment. Controlled energy.

You are or will be experiencing a breakthrough in some area of your life that has caused you confusion or anguish. Higher guidance is with you now, bringing enlightenment & clarity. You will be able to reconsider your situation considering new information or understanding, which will allow you to make any necessary changes to your approach. Take the lessons of your enlightenment to heart. Allow the power & energy of this illuminating experience to open the way for you & propel you along our path.

Brightstave/Upright: Inner creativity & artistry, or general ability or aptitude are indicated. Rest & relaxation are necessary to allow it to arise. The creative fire is applied to the personality. Transformation is suggested, a shaping or reshaping of the present situation enlightened by divine inspiration. A child may be in the offing.

Rune of enlightenment, especially that of a spiritual kind. It is the rune of illumination & light. Also, the rune of manifestation. A rune that can keep the shadows back & help you bring something out of nothing.

Merkstave/Reversed: Unwanted dissolution, perhaps in the form of physical disease or breakup of a relationship. Problems with children may be indicated. Blockage of the Kenaz force leads to inability & lack of creativity or skill. Feeling left out in the cold or in the dark in some way. You may be experiencing a sense of spiritual void, or lack of self-connection to the inner knowledge of the higher self. You are advised to trust that this ending is for your highest good. Do not cling to the old circumstances. Know that the period of darkness that comes with endings are necessary, so that new source of light can come into your life.

Meditation: :kaunan: Kenaz Meditation - Magin Rose

Sources:

Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020. Wild Runes Deck

Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes . Rockridge Press, 2020.

Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

7 Likes

Thank you for the research, @Susurrus!! :pray:

These rune posts are great and displayed in a very practical, easy-to-follow way. I’m inspired to use these correspondences for divination video lessons with the runes.

Also, I owed you this for some time, the rune emojis!!!

:fehu: :uruz: :thurisaz: :ansuz: :raido: :kaunan: :gebo: :wunjo:

:haglaz: :naudiz: :isaz: :jeran: :iwaz: :pertho: :algiz: :sowilo:

:tiwaz: :berkanan: :ehwaz: :mannaz: :laukaz: :ingwaz: :othalan:

6 Likes

@Francisco… you just made my day so much better. I was just talking to my husband about how my day went from rough to smooth between morning & afternoon. These Emojis mean so much! I can’t wait to edit my posts with them! Thank you so much.

Also, I am very flattered that you would use my posts for video lessons. I tried to make them easy to follow & as thorough as I could. Thank you so much again!

5 Likes

I’m glad you like them!! :blush:

3 Likes

I already updated my posts!

3 Likes

So many wonderful things about this rune :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: With its associations with creativity and inspiration, I think this rune goes perfectly with last week’s muse challenge! :sparkles:

Beautiful work, @Susurrus- these rune posts are always a delight to read! :heart:

Ahhhhh!!! What a gift!!! :heart_eyes: :kaunan: :sparkles: Thank you, Francisco!

:raido: :heart:

(Will definitely be using these new emojis :star_struck:)

3 Likes

@BryWisteria, I love the emojis too, I updated all of my Tuesday posts with them already :laughing:

2 Likes