Looking for a fun and exciting book

Looking for recommendations for a light-hearted, fun and exciting witchy book! I’m having trouble being interested in books.

10 Likes

Witch Life is a good beginner book. I’m not sure where you’re at really, to recommend books, you know? I just got a book Card of the Day Tarot that looks interesting. And I really enjoyed Goddess in the Shadows.

9 Likes

May I ask if you’re looking for something more education-focused, or something more like a story with characters and a plot to follow along with?

One place to browse is through the Master List of Coven Book Reviews- you can browse by subject and keyword to find interesting books! :blush: :books:

Whatever suits your current fancy, I’m sure there will be a fun witchy book out there for you! :grinning: :open_book:

9 Likes

I’m not sure about fun and light-hearted, but I really enjoyed the Rituals of Rock Bay series by M.A. Phillips! They’re magical realism, meaning the main character is a real witch and pagan, not like the fanciful magic of Harry Potter. There are three books and they center around the character meeting the river spirit and essentially being given a task to complete for the spirit because someone was doing something they weren’t supposed to!

They’re really good books - and she has a new one out called Plant Lady :joy: I haven’t read that one yet, but it’s on my list!

Rituals of Rock Bay | Amazon

8 Likes

I think more educational, but I’m open to either!

7 Likes

@Amethyst I’m looking for something beyond a beginner book. I’ll check out your recommendations! Thank you! :heart:

@MeganB that looks like a good read! Thank you :blush: :heartbeat:

7 Likes

Enchantment of the Faerie realm by Ted Andrews I think it’s free on audibles. But it’s very interesting and now has me collecting items to build a fairy town to place outside during spring and summer. I didn’t have much interest in them before this. Now I keep buying stuff for them also temu has the best prices for faerie town building.

7 Likes

You’re welcome! Have fun reading!

6 Likes

Any time! :heart: And if you’re interested in hearing the author’s perspective, I interviewed her on the podcast a while ago!

7 Likes

Awesome! Are there any topics in particular that you are interested in right now? Such as tarot, crystals, meditations, demonolatry, deities, spirit work, herbs, etc? That could help to narrow down to some good options for you too! :blush: :books:

7 Likes

I wanted to do that too! It’s hard to resist those cute little things! The dollar general has cute stuff in the spring, which they probably have now! I drill holes in the bottom of the little houses and figures on wire plant stakes and put beads on them…so cute! I will check the book out! Thank you :heart: :blush:

@MeganB I’ll try to listen to the podcast! I was watching the The Oak Witch on YouTube and one of her resource documents for beginner witches mentions one of your podcasts!

I’m interested in tarot, ancestors and deities. I’m interested in Brighid and I’m trying to find resources on German, British and Celtic deities. My ancestors are predominantly from those areas!

8 Likes

I love that idea. Your so creative!

7 Likes

@Devenne It runs in my family. My mom was a beautiful painter. My dad did a lot of leather crafting. I have a purse and wallet he made in the 80s. Now he and my brother make cigar box guitars. My dad also makes bowls, bottle stoppers and candle holders out of wood! My husband and I make wood crafts. The one of Georgio we made. He cuts and I paint. Here’s a few my husband made and painted.

7 Likes

Anyone ever read the I Ching?

7 Likes

Oh yeah, Ari is great, too! :blush: We know each other :joy: her resource document is really, really good!

Have you seen the resources for Brighid linked at the bottom of the posts in Tending Brighid’s Flame :fire:? There are a lot of books and blogs there for that!

I haven’t, no - I think we may have had a post or two in the forum here on I Ching. Let me do some digging and see what I can find :blush: Nope, couldn’t find anything about it lol maybe someone else knows about it!

6 Likes

I really want that mask of Satan like badly is it for sale :relieved:

6 Likes

I am reading this book just now:

It has a few pages on each card but they are written in an easy to digest way using examples of pop culture, lines from books and the authors experiences.

It describes the cups as the feelers, the pentacles as the makers, the swords as the thinkers and the wands as the doers. This made sense to me lol.

I choose the 8 of swords today which it described as being stuck in a glass phone box even though there is a door :joy:

i like the humour in bits of it, as well as it being informative

blessed be

Alan

9 Likes

When I was taking the Morrigan Intensive, one of the challenges was reading the Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. We had to read it & then how it related to history of witches & our current practices. It also gave some food for thought. I’m about 1/2 way through it & I am enjoying it, it is very lighthearted, whimsical, but it gives you a different perspective of practice & witchcraft too.

7 Likes

Love them all- especially the oni on the far left! :japanese_ogre: You and your husband are both so talented :sparkles:

I’ve also heard it mentioned before, but I don’t think I’ve actually buckled down and read any of it myself yet. Is it on your reading list? If you give it a go, I’d love to hear what you think! :grinning:

There’s definitely a collection of books on Celtic deities (and Brighid in particular) in the book club review list! We have quite a folks around who share your interest there :fire: :blush:

My favorite book on tarot that I’ve read to date is Tarot: Connect with Yourself, Develop Your Intuition, Live Mindfully by Tina Gong. It focuses on how tarot can be used not only as a form of divination, but a self-reflection method to help you improve your life and understanding of the Self. (A note that she often references Jungian psychology, which may be a plus or a minus for some).

I’d recommend it, especially if it’s still out there for 5 bucks! Great book at a real steal of a price :laughing:

Whatever you choose, I hope you find some wonderful and entertaining things to read and enjoy, @Sivonnah! :heart: :blush:

6 Likes

Unfortunately we donated it at our fundraiser. I’ll have to see what else my husband made. We’ll sell them. He does it mostly for fun. It keeps him occupied.

7 Likes