Lucky duck feathers

I have a pet drake. He’s white.
He goes molting or moulting 3 times a year, suffering almost in silence.
Been saving the long feathers for a future proyect.
Any recommendations?
I’ve seen these angel wins containing coloured little angels to use as chakra stones.

7 Likes

Oh those are gorgeous! Maybe something for spring with the feathers? I will have to think about it! I have seen those types of chakra stones at my stone store. They are beautiful.

4 Likes

I want to dye the feathers using natural colours from red cabbage, red beetroot, etc.
Should I use others type of dyes?
Thanks

4 Likes

Oh that’s a great idea too! I think natural will go best with the real feathers. They must be beautiful white. The only other thing I can think of that would be close to natural is mica powders. With those, a little bit goes a long way & the colors can be as light or rich as you want them to be.

4 Likes

I’d love to make them using gingerbread dough, for Christmas, or dough made with flour.
Can not use clay as Feng Shui claims.

4 Likes

Great idea… I wonder if they make organic food colorings?

4 Likes

Great, will make note.
Food colouring?

3 Likes

I’m not totally against non organic dyes here. Not gonna eat them.
Having said that, use them in the past to decorate cakes.
Will take a pic of the white feathers, I think they are beautiful.

2 Likes

Here it is in the baking aisles or seasonings… or maybe in the organic area of the store. A couple drops & it changes the color of the dough. Usually they come in packs of 4.

I found a link to natural food coloring:

Natural Food Coloring

3 Likes

We are not so lucky in England when it comes to supplies.
Will have to get them on line.
They look great
Thanks

3 Likes

You are very welcome! I didn’t realize you were across the pond! That’s awesome! I wish I had the courage to go visit England & Ireland. A lot of my ancestry is from there.

3 Likes

And forgot turmeric beautiful orange colour.
I have to use more warm colours according to Feng Shui.
I’m wearing green rooster jadeite and amethyst pendant.
It’s the closest I’ll get to fire for protection.

3 Likes

Beautiful Country, once you get to know it.
Been over 20 years here and yet trying to master English language.

3 Likes

That’s so beautiful! Both the feathers and the angels. I almost have all of those colors. I collect feathers but of many birds. I have crow, raven, hawk, peacock (from the zoo) and the little birds from around my house and my sisters bird, Clyde.

5 Likes

The beauty of white ones is that can be dyed in any colour.
Those items are in my shopping list, but trying to get creative here, this way, final creation will have more energy.

3 Likes

That’s very true. I like mine the way they are. I figure that they’re gifts and I don’t want to change them. :smiling_face: But I can’t wait to see how yours turn out

3 Likes

Ohhhh you are lucky, @basil! Feathers are great for so many projects :bird: Air spells, feather wreaths, feather brooms/besoms, and altar decorations come to mind immediately. Lots of possibilities! :sparkles:

I love the idea of using natural dyes- beet root and turmeric make such lovely and intense colors! Blue butterfly pea may not be as strong, but it yields a gorgeous blue-purple color :purple_heart:

Have fun with your crafting! :blush:

4 Likes

English, or American are both difficult languages because they are a combination of so many other languages. As for dying the feathers, have you thought about just dipping the end or edges in a diluted ink, it comes in many colors and should be available there. Acrylic paint comes in metallic colors like, gold, rose gold, silver copper etc. They can also be diluted… Oh what a great project. Good Luck and let us know what you did, show us pictures and welcome to the family.

3 Likes

Beautiful colour!, as tea,like many good things in life, moderation is the key.
Never heard of it before, thanks.

2 Likes

German and Latin as main ones.
And is fascinating too.
Watched a doc. many years ago about British Slang.
I loved it.
One word can have so many meanings.
In France, students watch EastEnders, a soap opera running to date on British TV.
Used to think it was sacrilege, but like phrasal verbs, easy way to learn English.
Although aristocracy hardly use them.

2 Likes