Modern Music in Spells šŸŽµ Weekly Witchy Challenge

While I love me some witchy music, I canā€™t help but realize that modern music has just as much of a place in my practice. Donā€™t get me wrong, witchy music is great, but I think a lot of people do themselves a disservice by not including modern music in their practice. There are so many good songs out there that can be turned into chants, spells, or even ways to raise energy.

If you follow me on Twitter you might have seen my post a few months ago about two songs that played back to back while I was in the shower. I generally use my time in the shower to cleanse myself, especially if I have been feeling extra crappy, so these two songs playing back to back really put me in the right headspace to do a cleansing and protection all while taking a shower.

The first song that played was Linkin Parkā€™s Castle of Glass. If youā€™re not familiar with the song, here is how the song starts.

Take me down to the river bend
Take me down to the fighting end
Wash the poison from off my skin
Show me how to be whole again

Fly me up on a silver wing
Past the black where the sirens sing
Warm me up in a novaā€™s glow
And drop me down to the dream below

You can listen to the song you YouTube here.

Anyway, the song very much has a feel of just letting go and letting the Gods guide me. As I said, I had been feeling really crappy the night before and that entire morning. Playing this song in the shower (and subsequently belting out the lyrics like I was on stage too) was extremely cleansing and refreshing. It allowed me to just let go and release all of the pent up energy I had been holding on to. Being able to sing it and feel every chord, every note, every emotion with every breath is an all-encompassing and almost trancelike state, one that I definitely recommend to anyone doing this kind of work.

Image via Unsplash

Now the next song that played was one that got me in a fighting mood, one that basically says Iā€™m a badass bitch and no one can fuck with me. Which I mean, coming from this band is funny, but the song is called Stronger Than You Think by Fireflight. This song really put me in the mood, raised my energy, and allowed me to easily place protections around myself after I had cleansed and washed away the spiritual gunk that was holding onto me. Here is the beginning of that song.

I know your intentions
Iā€™ve seen the way you work
You love destruction
You love pouring on the hurt
I used to chase you
But now I hate you
Iā€™m safe inside the light
So go on do your worst, your worst
I am stronger than you think
I believe youā€™ll never get the best of me
No I donā€™t buy the lies you sell
My heart belongs to someone else
I am stronger, stronger than you think

You can listen to that song on YouTube here.

Having these two songs pumped me up and really were a great combination for a much-needed cleansing and amping up of my protections around me. This also just shows that it doesnā€™t matter what the song is about and Iā€™ll tell you why. Fireflight is a Christian rock band and this song is actually about, and this is just my speculation, chasing sin and the Devil but realizing that youā€™re already protected under the light of God. While that may be what they intended while writing the song, thatā€™s not the meaning that I give to the song when I sing it as a protective charm.

Image via Unsplash

Another example is a song that isnā€™t entirely work appropriate so Iā€™m just going to share the first few lines of the song, link it, and tell you about it. Itā€™s called Another Way Out by Hollywood Undead (I have very eclectic taste in music, donā€™t judge me). Here is the first few lines of the song, and you can listen to it on YouTube here. This is your warning, though, that it isnā€™t work appropriate and it has vulgarity in it.

Voices wonā€™t go away, they stay for days and days
They say some awful things, ways to make you fade away
I donā€™t think no oneā€™s home and weā€™re just here alone
I better find you first before you find the phone
Better run, better run, better run, yeah, Iā€™m coming after you
When youā€™re sleeping at night, yeah, thereā€™s nothing you can do
Thereā€™s no place you can hide 'cause Iā€™m coming after you
I wish there was another way out for you

Anyway, this song would be a great addition to any form of banishing or baneful work. Basically, use the song, the beat, the bass, and the energy to raise energy and chase something out of your home or your life. Simple as that!

Image via Unsplash

Again, I really think more witches should entertain the idea of using modern music in their spellwork or daily practice. Want to attract love in your life? How about singing a really sappy country love song? Are you sad or going through something really tough? Not only is it cathartic to sing sad songs when youā€™re sad but it can also help you process those emotions, release that energy, and move forward in your day. Donā€™t let the fact that the songs are modern hold you back from using them. You can even take the chorus of a song and turn it into an incantation or spell that fits the words.

This doesnā€™t even cover those of us that would write our own music or play instruments! Thatā€™s an entirely different post altogether :heart:

Have you ever used modern music in your spells? I would love to hear how it went for you! And if you havenā€™t, would you ever consider it now? What song would you use and why?

Continuing the discussion from :dancer: Weekly Witchy Challenge - The Magick of Music:

17 Likes

I used to play a certain Meat Loaf song over and over when I was depressed.

Is this a blessing or is it a curse?
Does it get any better? Can it get any worse?
Will it go on forever? Is it over tonight?
Does it come with the darkness? Does it bring out the light?
Is it richer than diamonds or just a little cheaper than spit?

Of course at the time I didnā€™t realize I was depressed, I just knew I felt like crap and this song seemed to lance the pain and draw it out somehow. So I can see modern music being a part of your practice.

9 Likes

Beautifully written as always, @MeganB :heart: And agreed- singing out loud in the shower can most definitely be liberating! :grin::shower:

Personally, I have my witchy/pagan aesthetic playlist for when Iā€™m in the mood for magick, a separate playlist for dancing, another playlist for writing, and yet another playlist for casual listening. Some of the songs do overlap, but I usually stick to one group of songs for magick and meditations. Sounds like itā€™s time to try something new and switch it up! :+1:

Thanks for sharing this inspirational insight- Iā€™ve already got a song in mind to try with spellwork! :laughing: I usually use it for creative/writing purposes, but now Iā€™m thinking it might be a good one as a Protective Spell or even a Road Opener :shield::railway_track: :sparkles:

Thanks for sharing, Megan! :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

Those moments that I want to get my adrenaline rushing through me, I love to listen to this song. While isnā€™t for the taste for some people; witches included, it helps me to get to that state.
Funny to say, for some the make up will look gross or maybe dumb, but thereā€™s a face of a member of the choir in 4:16 that looks with the red lighting a lot sinister than the lead singer. :joy:

8 Likes

@Amethyst thatā€™s a perfect song :musical_note:

@BryWisteria Suprisingly I donā€™t have many music playlists :laughing: Sometimes when I need background noise Iā€™ll just open up a YouTube aesthetic lo-fi track that plays for four hours lol Iā€™ll have to listen to the song you shared! I hope youā€™ll share your experience using it for magic if you ever do!

@pedros10 That band sounds familiar! Iā€™ll have to go over and listen to more of their music. Thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

This is the link for the full concert.

8 Likes

I love those lo-fi aesthetic tracks too, @MeganB- there are some really lovely ones out there! :blush: I hope you enjoy ā€˜Carry Your Throneā€™, itā€™s one of my favorites! And will do! :heart:

Thatā€™s definitely an adrenaline-pumping song, @pedros10! Sounds like it could be a good one to go to for energy or motivation spellwork :sparkles::guitar: :grin:

8 Likes

I love using music in my magick every chance I can! I also have an extremely wide variety of musical tastes, so I understand completely. I know ā€œAnother Way Outā€ very well, never thought to use it as you suggested but definitely going to now. I listen to Linkin Park but donā€™t think I know this song yet.
I have specific songs I play for grounding, cleansing or raising energy. Specifically in the shower I play a song titled ā€œGoddess Levelā€ as I cleanse and ground. It always helps in strengthening the practice and I always feel so empowered afterwards.
As I am consistently looking for more ways to incorporate music in my practice, this topic is very important to me. Iā€™m so happy you posted this and would love to hear other ways you use music in your magick!

I plan on updating this post after using the songs you recommended along with some others I have been thinking about using.

8 Likes

\m/ m/ You know it is gonna be a great concert when the band are accompanied by an orchestra. Few things more badass than something named after an infamous Icelandic volcano.

7 Likes