šŸ•ŗ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magick of Movement

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Catch-Up :clock4:

The challenge clock has started once again- so get ready to move, as we are off with challenge #181!

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge is one that will hopefully get you on your feet and isā€¦

Magick of Movement Exercise Challenge

:dancer: :running_woman: The Magick of Movement :person_in_lotus_position: :man_dancing:
A Witchā€™s Exercise inā€¦ Exercise!

We all know that exercise is important for mental and physical health, but did you also know that exercise can be a beneficial part of a spiritual practice as well?

From getting our blood flowing and releasing positive-feeling endorphins to helping us spend more time surrounded by nature and the elements, exercise in its various forms can be a big part of a witchā€™s well-rounded lifestyle :national_park:

In the famous spiritual book The Spiral Dance, exercise is listed as the first of three daily witch exercises recommended for beginners.

Everyone and their bodies are unique, and thereā€™s no one singular form of exercise that works for everyone. Luckily, from high-intensity sports to very gentle walking meditation or sitting tai-chi, there are many possibilities when it comes to exploring the magick of movement :running_woman: :person_in_lotus_position: :woman_in_manual_wheelchair: :heart:

So, what types of exercise do you find most useful and invigorating for you and your magickal life? :grinning:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is all about the magick of movement - how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Picture from Canva

STEP 1 : Magick in Movement :person_cartwheeling:

This challenge is all about the magick of movement - but as always, how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dance Magick :dancer:

From the tango to belly dance, tap dance and so many more- all types of dances whether choreographed or free flow involve a connection between mind and body, as well as increased awareness of your body and the earth.

For more inspiration, check out the entries shared by fellow coven members in the previous Music Magick :notes: challenge

Walking Meditations :walking_man:

This form of meditation focuses on both the mind and the body. Relaxing and soothing while also engaging, it is a great method of meditation for those who find it difficult to sit or remain still.

Walking-Meditation-Exercise-360x240
Walking Meditation for Restless Energy

Other Meditative Movements & Exercises :person_in_lotus_position:

Yoga, stretching, tai-chi, and more- there are many gentle, meditative exercises that a witch can use to both aid in their spiritual journey as well as tend to their health. These activities can be good for the body, mind, and soul.

Sports & Martial Arts as Energy Work :martial_arts_uniform:

Although the right path not for everyone, high-intensity exercises such as Karate, Taekwondo, long-distance running, sports, and others can provide a huge boost of adrenaline and power. They can help with control, increase strength, and build determination and commitment.

ā€¦ And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore the magick of movement in another way, you are welcome to do so!

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Video: ā€œJusticeā€ From Tarot - Fantasy Belly Dance by Irina Akulenko

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, February 6 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-02-06T12:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Canva

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Canva

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Get up and get going- itā€™s time to move!
To shake off your worries and get in the grove
For whether focused or free, youā€™re in control-
Unlock body and mind, and embrace your soul!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :man_dancing: :sparkles:

22 Likes

Oooh, I already know exactly what Iā€™m going to do! Iā€™ve been wanting to try a chakra cleansing yoga routine, this should get me off my behind and actually doing it instead of just thinking about it :grin:

18 Likes

This comes at such a great time because I just recommitted myself to an exercise routine! Now, I just have to figure out how to make it a bit more magical. :sparkles:

17 Likes

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™m thinking of doing a little different this year for Imbolc and doing a spring-like dance.

20 Likes

Love this! I always exercise daily, but have been thinking about getting back into meditation yoga! Great time to start it!

19 Likes

This is so perfect I need to incorporate more exercise into my Dailey routine Iā€™ve been thinking about it a lot so this challenge came at the right time Iā€™m so excited about it. :grin: :infinite_roots::witch_pentacle:

17 Likes

Yā€™all tryna get me back into leading that Witches Dance idea, arenā€™t you? :laughing:

Iā€™m kidding. But I might consider that for it, anyway. :smile:

@Sivonnah You ready to laugh at my attempt? :crazy_face:

18 Likes

Thatā€™s a really pretty profile photo of you @starborn. :witch_pentacle: :hekate_wheel:

18 Likes

This is my entry:

Can be a witch dance also. Here you go

I also did martial arts when I was younger and I still practice it to this day

20 Likes

I think itā€™s originally a gypsy tribal dance witches love to do

17 Likes

@crystal59 Aww, thank you. :black_heart:

@john1 Hah. Thatā€™s the dance I was talking about. :laughing:

17 Likes

I love watching them and the song is good to

17 Likes

I think you should do that witch dance record yourself and post it here

I can send you the link of them teaching the dance

17 Likes

Thatā€™s the plan. :smile: Thereā€™s a whole thread about it, including a list of willing participants and guide videos, here:

18 Likes

I love the history of this dance as well the witch dancing with the devil I read that somewhere about the dance

17 Likes

Nice challenge! Iā€™m thinking of my entry with both walking meditation, dog tracking, and yoga the three that are up thereā€¦ still considering. But in my spell work Iā€™ve been focusing on manifesting successful dog tracking and Iā€™ve been working towards a title with my dog, so I might describe our ā€œexerciseā€ towards that. :dog:

17 Likes

@starborn my thoughts exactly :joy::crazy_face: @john1 I may give in a whirl in my fancy wheelchair and my homemade besom! A bunch of us were going to do it and record it!

18 Likes

Challenge Entry: Magick of Movement

For this entry I decided to focus on the magick of movement in DOG TRACKING.
Dog Tracking is a sport that I do with my Dutch Shepherd dog, Luna.

It is a weird sport because it essentially requires the dog to ā€œfind a ghostā€.

A person lays a track by walking in a field or urban area and leaving their scent behind naturally (did you know you leave your scent behind every time you walk through a place?) and leave items (usually gloves or socks with their scent on it) at the beginning, along the trail, and at the end. Then they leave the area for a couple of hours, and the track/scent ages. Then the dog and their handler (Luna and I) come on to the scene and basically have to find the scent, retrace the personā€™s actual steps (the ghost), and find the articles. The handler (a.k.a. me) is ā€œblindā€ meaning you do not know where the person stepped or turned or where the track is, so it can be very disorienting and confusing. The dog in this sport has the advantage, with their nose being able to smell extremely well.

[A lot of people confuse tracking with search and rescue (SAR). SAR is different because at the end you are actually finding a lost or hurt person and you are on a team of people who are deployed to rescue them. My dog and I are not saving anyone. We do this as a sport. We may enter a trial to get an AKC title, or not. We do this for fun and exercise on the side, similar to how other dog people might practice obedience or agility.]

It is a workout I can tell you that much because my dog is extremely athletic and pulls a great deal on lead and in her harness when she is on the track and sure of it. It gets so extreme that I have been pulled off my feet in a field! I just have to dig my feet in and put both hands on the line. I have a 30ft long line and a strong harness on her. Luna is driven to find the scent. But at first I was very unsure of myself and my dog and ended up ā€œlostā€ in fields turning in circles and extremely disoriented. Iā€™ve been working with my dog now for three years both in classes and on our own, and learned to trust my dog more, and read her body cues. I can look up a little bit more and take in my surroundings in nature, instead of constantly being worried that I will end up face first in the mud.

Some things Iā€™ve learned from dog tracking that also relate to magick:

• sometimes you need to give up some control and ā€œtrust your dogā€

• look up and visualize your surroundings in nature once in a while

• slow down and take a break when you or your dog need it

I am working towards a Tracking Dog title with Luna so wish us luck! :crossed_fingers:t3:

20 Likes

Thatā€™s so kool canā€™t wait to see it @Sivonnah

16 Likes

Dogs are amazing. I had 2 coon hounds and used to go hunting with a friend that had 2 of his own. So after working 12-14 hrs on the dairy farm, we would go out and walk sometimes 15 miles or more in the woods in the dark and follow the long bays of some good hounds. Things we do in our youthā€¦ wonderful nightsā€¦ exhausting nitesā€¦

:goat:

18 Likes