My First Egyptian Festival

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my experience today as I commemorated my first Egyptian Festival; Khoiak or The Osiris Mysteries.

This festival commemorates my patron deity, Osiris and marks both his murder by his brother, Set, and his resurrection.

For context, Osiris was the first Pharaoh and was loved by his people. Set was jealous and hatched a plan to take the throne. Osiris was sealed in a box and cast into the Nile. His body was retrieved by his wife Isis but before she could revive him, Set cut the body into 14 pieces and scattered them across the land. Isis did not give up; she searched for and retrieved the body parts abd with the help.og her nephew, Anubis, they brought Osiris back to life. This is when Horus was concieved. However, Osiris knew his place was no longer on Earth and took his place as King and protector of the underworld.

Today I started my day as normal by incovering my statues and inviting the lignt of the new day to awaken their spirits. I also offered incense of Sandalwood.

For the actual ritual, i began by cleansing the space and myself. I offered a prayer to Osiris before invoking his presence.

Green candlesnwere litnas a symbol of Osiris’ link to fertility and renewal. A retelling the story of his death was then read out up until the point where his body was scattered.

At this point, my Osiris statue was bound in green fabric to symbolise his absence. It was placed on a mound of soil and seeds scattered around as a symbol of hope for his rebirth.

A second prayer was then offered for Osiris’ return.

Then came a period of meditation and reflection, considering the absence of Osiris from my practice for the next 14 days but also considering my own experiences of grief and loss.

Afterwards, an offering of bread was made as a symbol.of.my willinhness to assist in the rebirth of Osiris.

Finally, i closed the ritual by expessing gratitude to Osiris and for him being a presence in my life.

Over the next 14 days, a green crystal will be placed in soil, each representing one of the body parts retrieved by Isis. On day 14, the statue will be unbound, symbolising Osiris’ rebirth.

I know that Egyptian deities aren’t commonly worshiped as much as others but I wanted to share my ritual on what for me is a special day.

Blessed be

Dua Asar

Alan

14 Likes

It sounds so beautiful! You did a good job!

9 Likes

Thank you for sharing this story. I found it very interesting. And your ritual sounds so fitting.

10 Likes

Oh that sounds lovely! :star_struck: & I think you did a wonderful thing both with your festival, ritual, & informing others about the Egyptian deity! :revolving_hearts: Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

9 Likes

Here is my altar currently to help visualise what was done…

13 Likes

That is a lovely :heart_eyes: altar! I think it looks amazing & so well put together :heart: Wonderful job! Thank you for sharing your altar with us :revolving_hearts:

10 Likes

Beautiful altar Alan!

10 Likes

Your altar is breathtaking :pray: Everything is so mindfully placed, and it has such a warm and hopeful atmosphere to it as you await and prepare to welcome the return of Osiris.

A very powerful ritual, Alan- thank you very much for sharing about it! It is inspiring to hear about your work with your deities. May They continue to watch over you :heart: :candle:

Blessed be!

8 Likes

Now at the half way point of the ritual. 7 stones, each representing on of the 14 body parts retrieved by Isis. The wrapped box at the front is an offering of bread and Anubis now sits by Osiris, protecting his body. Even the seeds i scattered on the soil have started to sprout around the statue. 7 days to go.

Blessed be

Alan

10 Likes

A tangible sign of the flow of energy and the growth of the divine presence as the parts are gathered! :seedling: :sparkles: :blush:

Continued blessings as the ritual develops- thank you for sharing the update and beautiful pictures, Alan!

Blessed be :candle: :ankh: :two_hearts:

7 Likes

What a beautiful altar! Such altar goals right there. I love it. :black_heart:

8 Likes

Cosmic_Curiosity
I am really interested in this story and think that this could be a really great spell for me to participate inn! I have felt a connection with Osiris and have a similar statue!
This will be a post I will return too.
Is it a special day today?

I love your statue and that’s really good to invite the light inn this is something I would like to do!
I love sandalwood it smells so good :star2:
What a marvelous offering! :clap::clap:

I really appreciate that you cultivated hope. I love the symbolism it is just perfect :100:

This is a great way to deal with loss and grief! I love your applied psychology!
I really think it’s a great thing that you are doing this for 14 days that shows you are a devote!I really think it’s a great thing that you are doing this for 14 days that shows you are very a devote!

Alan - Such a beautiful alter thank you for sharing too! I see you also put a lot of love into it!
I think this is a great offering! Bre said it perfectly!
Jeannie

7 Likes

Today marked the last part of this ritual. 13 green stones placed and asking Isis to create the missing 14 piece (this body part was eaten by fish in the Nile). I planted the seeds that had sprouted around the statue outside and buried the original offering underneath.

I then recited a verse that welcomed Osiris back as the chords wrre cut and the fabric unravelled. The 14 stones placed in front of him.

Now that it is dark, the candles around him are lit to symbolise his return.

I am ending with an Egyptian stew and homemade flatbreads

All in all it has been both an enjoyable and meaningful ritual for me, even though it required 14 days to complete.

Blessed be

Alan

7 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity This is really beautiful :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

What a beautiful ritual! Thank you for sharing this. :black_heart:

My stomach is now growling and thinking of nothing else. Do you have recipes for those? I would love to try them. :black_heart:

6 Likes

@starborn

Egyptian beef stew

Ingredients:

500 grams diced beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups beef broth
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley or coriander for garnish

Instructions:

1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until they become translucent. (I threw in a chili too)
  3. Add the beef stew meat to the pot and brown it on all sides. (I dusted the meat with flour before adding)
  4. Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg to the pot. Stir well to coat the meat and onions with the spices.
  5. Pour in the beef broth and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
  6. Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for about 1.5 to 2 hours or until the beef is tender. (I cooked it for about 5 hours at a really low heat)
  7. Add the chopped carrots and potatoes to the pot. Continue simmering for an additional 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
  8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Remove from heat and let the stew rest for a few minutes.
  10. Serve the stew hot, garnished with fresh parsley or coriander if desired. It pairs well with bread or rice.

Bread

Ingredients

300g whole grain flour
300ml warm water
Half tablespoon of dry yeast
Half tablespoon of oil
Half tablespoon of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar

1. Pour the yeast into a bowl and add the sugar and water and stir together.
  2. Cover with a tea towel in a warm place for 10mins. It should go bubbly.
  3. Add half of the flour and stir in.
  4. Cover with a tea towel in a warm place for 30mins.
  5. Add the rest of the flour, oil and salt. Stir in.
    5…knead for 10.mins until soft and not sticky (.I had to add more flour)
    6.Cover with a tea towel in a warm place for 60mins.
  6. Divide into 8 balls and roll out on a floured surface
  7. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
  8. Back at 240⁰C (220 fan) for 6 or 7 mins
8 Likes

Whoa! Thank you so much for this! :black_heart:

8 Likes

@starborn you are welcome. I hope you enjoy.

8 Likes

Oh my gosh, that is so lovely! I have a fondness from childhood for Egyprtian mythologies and lore. Your altar is stunning :heart_eyes:

I also saved the recipe! I’m always looking for new ones to try and this looks great, thank you for sharing.

8 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity that is gorgeous :heart_eyes:& the stew sounds lovely too :hugs: Thank you so much for the recipe! :revolving_hearts:

I really like how through the entirety of the ritual you shared with us & the images of it. That’s awesome :star_struck: & really helps when trying to put it together in my head & with the excerpts of why or what is being done.

8 Likes