My Magical Roots, by Kasie

Well, as for me I’m Irish/French/Native American on one side and Swedish/Norwegian on the other. My Dad actually didn’t learn English at first, Swedish and Norwegian were his first languages.

Despite all that I’ve always found myself drawn to the Greek pantheon. I was fascinated as a kid and took mythology twice in high school. One day I came home from work and Mom gave me this book, The Supermarket Sorceress by Lexa Rosean. And told me about how this author was on Good Morning America talking about witchcraft and the Goddess. And that it was something she thought I might enjoy learning about.

Well, the book wasn’t all that great but I was interested. So I hopped off to Waldenbooks at the mall -and doesn’t that tell you how long ago this was? - and found me a better book. It was True Magick: A Beginner’s Guide by Amber K.

Well, by the time I read that was I was hooked and more book followed. I didn’t do much magic yet though, I didn’t feel confident enough and Mom kept on wanting to watch which was problematic for me. I didn’t know what I was doing and I was supposed to do it for an audience? No.

Then life happened and I got kicked in the teeth and fell into depression. That and keeping up with Mom’s failing heath occupied me for a good decade.

When she passed I had to move right away so when I did and I unpacked I found those old books. After a good year of being settled I started getting interested in finding my faith again.

Then one night I had a dream. In it, a woman was trying to bring me milk and bread into my kitchen and I was all upset because I don’t eat much sandwich bread and I can’t drink milk. And She said, “How am I supposed to know what you need if you don’t ask me?”

That stayed with me while I was awake. How was the Goddess supposed to know what I needed if I didn’t ask?

So I dusted off my books and started reading again, buying books on my Kindle this time where there were oodles of good books to read. I started doing daily devotionals and nightly prayers. It helped my self confidence at the least and I was happy so it was all good.

Then I wasn’t so happy. Things were getting dark again. So I made a New Year’s resolution last year to be happy. Part of that was finding people I would talk to about my paganism. I had to change meds and round the time I did that I somehow found myself at Spells8 and took a chance.

So I came to Spells8 at a time when I was needing that connection to others and needing help getting me to get off my butt and actually do some magic. And I found the connection I’d been searching for, friends and made-family here.

I don’t know what I would have done without Spells8, it’s certainly made me into a more active witch. But it’s the friendship and sense of community that I’ve found here that I’ve enjoyed. I don’t know where I’d be without y’all.

13 Likes

@Amethyst beautiful. I agree it is a great community of a second family really. I needed the connection also and I find that I need the people connection too. It just feels right to be here.

8 Likes

Thank you, sweetie! I went looking for that connection everywhere, Meet Ups, Facebook, YouTube. It was one of @Francisco’s videos on YouTube that drew me in. I’m glad I followed the white rabbit because it led right to where I belong.

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story, kasie. Yay, Francisco! Your videos are so helpful and I am happy they led kasie here.

I couldn’t imagine Spells8 without you. I joined only a week after you but I wasn’t really active in the beginning and it was people like you and krissie(who joined a month after me) that kept me going when things got bad. I am so thankful for you, your writing ability, and the heart you bring to this coven.

8 Likes

Thank you @praecog29! That means a lot to me! You mean a lot to me! :hugs:

7 Likes

Kasie that is a beautiful story, the dream being a message to you is amazing too. I’m glad you found Spells8, and that I found it as well, because I’ve found all of you here too!

9 Likes

@Amethyst, loved your story! Yes, I think we can all agree that the Spells8 family here is amazing! I can’t believe it will be a year soon that I’ve joined. So happy to be here and have met every single one of you.
Blessed be.:green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::broom::broom::broom:

9 Likes

See, I told you we were related!!! I’m French and Native American, too! Seriously, I love that you felt comfortable enough to share your story. :heart: I have a strong, proud feeling for Spells8! I joined at a down point in my life too. We can talk about that for another day.

10 Likes

What a journey you have had- but words can’t describe how glad I am that your path led you here, @Amethyst! :heart: Like all of your masterpieces, this was a delight to read. You really have a way with words and emotions.

I’m so happy you found your home here- you bring so much to the coven! You are a very treasured member of the forum family :hugs:

Thanks so much for being here and for sharing your story, Kasie! :two_hearts:

7 Likes

@Rowan, @walter, @christina4, @BryWisteria, thank you so much for your kind words. You can thank @Francisco’s YouTube page for getting me here. I’m so glad I am, it’s really filled a void I had in my life.

I can’t help but wonder if my Great-grandma was Creole or something. Mom came from a broken home in Texas and that’s near Louisiana. She didn’t have that great of home life so she didn’t talk about it much. So I don’t know if I’ll ever know unless I do one of those Ancestry things. And those are so expensive. I’ve always got something else better to spend my money on. LOL.

10 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your Magical roots with us, Kasie!! :grin: :grin:

This was my favorte part:

I agree 10000% In this path I have learned that many times, when I can’t find an answer is because I am not asking the right questions.

I’m glad that your mom introduced you to the path so now we can have you in the Spells8 family!! :smiley: :orange_heart:

6 Likes

Thank you @Francisco! :blush: I’m glad you helped me find my way here.

7 Likes

Kasie,
I like hearing your story and how you came to the craft. I too love stories. I just got this Goddess deck for tarot and I have a Greek mythology deck too as well. Hecate lights here torch in the darkest place in the underworld. I prayed to her at the crossroads. It’s definitely a journey I have embraced and glad that I found a good friendship along the way. I am trying to fight out of that hole and stay grounded.

We are tight here. I share things I don’t get to share with other people. It’s a healing journey too. Losing your mom was probably really tough and glad you found the confidence within your self to love again and sounds like the God and Goddesses help. I-am glad your moms legacy is still happening she left a imprint didn’t she. People always say you can’t love others unless you love your self. I am seeing that doing the self care is extra work but with due diligence it does get better! I wish we could all meet in person once a year would that not be cool? Right know I am doing a spiritual cleanse for the day. I am trying to do everything I can and pray to the Goddesses and God. May The Lord and Lady be the light in the darkness. And Shine like we were meant too!
Jeannie :woman_genie:
Blessed be

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the kind words. Good luck with your cleanse! :hugs:

5 Likes