My Multipurpose Permanent Altar of Deity Devotion, Spell Work, and Divination

We do not have much space in our two-bedroom apartment. We have a shared living space that combines kitchen, dining, and living; two bathrooms; and two bedrooms. We use the smaller bedroom for sleeping in, and the other bedroom is our home “office” (computer room). As we are both home all day, this larger computer room is where we spend 90% of our waking hours.

This does not leave much room for spiritual space. While I have an end table in the bedroom with crystals atop it to protect us and give us the dreams we need to have while we sleep – that’s its only purpose. I also have little clumps of selenite and black tourmaline near the main entrances/exits (the front door and the balcony doors in the shared space), and witches’ bells by the front door. We have a small space dedicated to our ancestors and heritage in the living room area, and Emperor coins hung up on some doors. Maybe when we get the balcony cleaned and tidied up, I will dedicate some space to Hekate, Selene, Nyx, and Persephone out there.

The main event, however, is the altar that I have set up in the computer room. This means that my partner is usually in the same room when I do anything at my altar now.

Our cats are also less likely to be around because they have more snuggly spots here than they did at the old place to choose from, and there are “only” four in this room, meaning that most aren’t here.

Furthermore, I realised, as I began setting up for a ritual that involves the elements (A Power & Energy Retrieval Ritual), that my altar faces north. It is a happy coincidence that I originally thought would not be possible when we were moving.

Besides the traditional purposes for it facing north, the demon associated with my month and likely my patron demon were I to have one is Belial. His direction is the north. (Which makes me curious as to the impact of the altar direction. At our old place, my altar faced east, which is Lucifer’s direction. But that’s a topic for another time.)

17 Likes

Split into regions

So, how do I manage to make this multipurpose altar work? It’s mostly a matter of regions. Against the wall, I have a few wooden boxes to help me separate that part of the space.

I got mine from The Wooden Box Factory, but without the engravings. I bought these before we moved so I could ensure that all my things would have nice boxes to live in should the need ever arise to go more portable. But you don’t need to go this far.

Anyway, as you can see in my attempt at a diagram below, I’ve got regions for specific deities, spirit, and then the main flat surface area is my working space.

As you can see by my book of shadows (which has a Lilith sigil on the cover) lingering in the working space, sometimes things with a deity attachment get to live outside their bounds.

16 Likes

My shifting working space

This is where everything active happens. Everything from burning candles and incense in deity devotional work, laying out sigils in demonolatry work, laying out cards when doing tarot readings, making spell jars, and whatever is required from a spell or ritual.

Kind of messy, right? So what would I do if I wanted to keep the energies from these different activities separate?

Well, I have an idea.

I’ve started placing placemats on the working space. I bought a bundle of black ones in the style shown below.

I’m going to dedicate each one I have to a different purpose. So one of them will be for divination, one for deity work, one for divination work, and so on.

And to distinguish between them, because they’re all the same colour, I’m going to stick pins into them. These are the pins that I got, fashioned after tarot cards:

I might get more pins and customise more later, but I want to start small at each step and build from there. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and all that.

15 Likes

This is my design

I’m a witch of darker tastes, as you can probably tell. If my edginess hasn’t given you a paper cut yet, read on.

In studying design, because I need to for my job, one thing comes up all the time, and that’s picking a few concepts and sticking within those bounds. So, I’ve done the same with my spaces.

I want my altar space to have a somewhat consistent theme. Once I decided on that theme, I started collecting things that meant something to me and matched that theme.

When creating my main altar space, I realised that there was a group of things that wouldn’t follow that theme, so I made a new space. Hence why our ancestral and heritage space is elsewhere, in another room.

See? It completely vibes differently.

However, need I remind you how much I throw “rules” out the window myself? If what I’m saying doesn’t vibe with you, don’t copy it. I know a lot of witches on this forum have the most beautiful altar spaces, and they do not follow my thought pattern.

There’s beauty in our differences, so embrace yours, too. My weird and wild mind and space is just that. Make yours your own flavour of weird and wild, because that’s the most beautiful way.

:silver_heart: :black_heart:

13 Likes

I love this. It’s fantastic. Compartmentalized altars, if I’m following your boxes. I’m needing ideas for the Baron. Though Loki is generously sharing his altar space for now, I need something more Baron exclusive and your boxes have given me an idea. :green_heart: Thankyou.

12 Likes

Yep – I thought that creating physical dividing lines between the spaces would help. :smile:

I’ll try to get a better photo when I don’t have my Nyx stuff from the group ritual in the middle of the working space. :laughing:

Here’s the photo without all the boxes drawn over it for now:

The boxes (or shelves) also let us start working on splitting up the space vertically, too. Which helps when we don’t have much space for everything. :black_heart:

I’m glad I could assist in some way. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Oooh thank you for all the time and effort you put into this thread and these gorgeous posts! It was a wonderfully inspiring and relaxing read. Perfect to wind down my day!

11 Likes

Beautiful @starborn love your space so much :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: so beautiful

11 Likes

@starborn you are so creative. I cannot wait to go to our Mystic Treasures shop near me and start my collection over again (I lost everything I own 2 1/2 years ago) and build my alter, books, cards and etc… everything looks great and organized which in my opinion is the key to success.

Blessed Be
Medea

11 Likes

I love the diagram - it’s so neat to see everything in its own special space!

Your creativity (and magazine-worthy photos!) never cease to amaze me, @starborn - this was really inspiring to read! And your altar spaces are already gorgeous, I’m excited to hear about how they continue to develop with time :blush:

Much love and many blessings! :sparkles:

9 Likes

@starborn superb altar!love your space!
and the thing with the placemat is sooo smart!!! :hekate_wheel: :hekate_wheel:
you are a stunning witch my sister!
you shine in the dark… :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

9 Likes

Witches Home Journal, anyone?? @starborn really does take some gorgeous photos! I love the altar design and ideas. If it works for you and your space, I am all for it!!

10 Likes

Beautiful pictures and altar set ups! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::blush: I love how you’re able to fit everything in in a way that makes sense and works for you!

I’m reorganizing my spaces. My ancestor altar is in my bedroom. I like that they are watching over me and protecting me. I spend most of my time in my bedroom.

Since I had to clean out my craft room for the door to be put in, it’s given me an opportunity to make space for my witchcraft! Instead of everything being spread out throughout the house I can now keep it all in my craft room. I have an old dresser dedicated to my altar and witchcraft supplies! So I’m slowly working on this.

Another space I want to set up is my front porch. It’s enclosed and heated. When I’m not in my bedroom I’m on the porch. I’m going to put a few crystals and whatever else I feel is appropriate :laughing: I already have a protection spell jar by the front door. I put protection runes on all my windows in salt water. I still have to make some witch’s bells!

9 Likes

@Artemisia Aww, thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you’ve been having a great weekend and that Monday brings you some much needed rest! :black_heart:

@Devenne You’re beautiful! :black_heart: Thank you, my sister from another mister!

@Medea Thank you! :black_heart: I’m sorry you lost everything… I can’t imagine suddenly having to start from scratch. :people_hugging: But it sounds like you’ll have an exciting trip to Mystic Treasure, then! When are you going?

@BryWisteria Thank you, dear Bry! :black_heart: I think I’m also going to have to expand to give the demons some more space of their own. :see_no_evil:

@AIRAM Thank you, lovely. :black_heart: I enjoy all the poems and prose you share, too. You shine brightly, yourself. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@AileyGrey Aww, you flatter me! Thank you. :black_heart: If I ever print a book of photos, I’ll have to send you the first copy. :laughing:

@Sivonnah Thank you! :black_heart: I really am slow making it work for me, huh. :smile:

I love the idea of your ancestors watching over you and protecting you while you’re in your bedroom. And that’s awesome that you’re turning your craft room into your witchy room as well!

Is there any theme you’re planning for the front porch? :grin:

11 Likes

AWWWWW :rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose: mirror mirror who’s the fairest of them all?

STARBORN is!! @starborn

9 Likes

I spend most of my time on my front porch. I have so many different things here that aren’t really connected to witchcraft so I just wanted some crystals to absorb some negativity and bring balance to this space. I only have a little table to contain… a lot of “junk” :laughing: I want some protections here too as this is the front entrance to my house. I’m sure I can find some strategic places to put things. I guess that didn’t really answer your question :crazy_face: No theme at this point but we’ll see how things turn out! :blush:

8 Likes

Not to enable you too much, but “CRYSTALS EVERYWHERE” would be a wonderful theme. :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Absolutely :100:% :hugs:

8 Likes

I finally got the pins and attached them. :silver_heart: :black_heart:

I put the three celestial siblings together (Star, Moon, Sun), then the Magician on another, and Death on another. :star: :full_moon: :sun:

I have a few more, but these were the ones I was most excited to receive. :smile:

Although it would have been great if there were a High Priestess and Empress. :thinking:

8 Likes

@starborn by pins do you mean broaches/badges? They’re really pretty :green_heart:

8 Likes