Naming an Athame

Have any of you given your Athame a name or asked it if it’s name?

11 Likes

I have not named mine. And honestly had never thought to ask it if it has a name. Interesting idea… I may just have to try and see what happens.

10 Likes

I don’t have an Athame yet. But I did collect a hunting knife (I don’t hunt, but I have it for use here in Alaska). It took me more than a year to name it. A word for it was there but it didn’t stick initially so I didn’t name it right away. It felt like it wasn’t quite right. I kept my mind open and went with the flow, letting it pick it’s own name, in a way. Kind of like trying to remember something and letting it rest in your mind until it pops up later. I followed the thoughts until something stuck and felt right.

Anyway, I hope this helps! :heart:

Edit: I guess I got to know it first, carried it around with me for quite a while. You might use your Athame or have it in a place that feels right to you, set it out by a lit candle and meditate, etc and see if something pops into your mind. I wouldn’t rush it though, you’ll know if / when it’s right!

10 Likes

Huh. I have not but most blades do have a name. I’ll have to think about it. I use my wand more than my athame. Hmm.

11 Likes

I love your suggestion and I think I’ll let things just flow and see if a name comes to mind before just coming up with one and then not really feeling that particular name. :purple_heart::pray:

10 Likes

I don’t personally have an athame. I’ve never thought about naming one though :thinking: but as Amethyst said, a lot of important blades throughout history have names so I don’t see why your athame couldn’t also have one!

9 Likes

Oh never thought of this. But my tarot decks have names, make sense to find out the name of my athame.

7 Likes

I just got a new athame today and I’m so excited to add it to my altar. A name hasn’t come to me yet, though.

6 Likes

I’m sure one will come to you if it has a name :dagger: I’m excited for you!

6 Likes

It actually did and surprisingly pretty quickly!

Amaya which means night rain :umbrella:

6 Likes

That’s a beautiful name! I love it :night_with_stars: :cloud_with_rain:

6 Likes

Thank you! I’m so excited to begin using it. :candle:☽☾:crystal_ball::black_heart:

6 Likes

I love this, this is how I’ve found many names, including my own :heart:

I was thinking of my athame, and listening for a name, and the name “Gladwyn” came into my mind. I looked it up, and it means sword grass, little sword or sword lily. It feels right :sword_tarot: :seedling: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

That is absolutely beautiful!!

6 Likes

Thank you, so is yours! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Just sat and thought about the name for mine.

‘Thora’ feminine of Thunder, old Norse for Thor.

Love it

8 Likes

Wow, I love that so many names are coming to mind! I have thought of having an Athame for symbolic purposes, but I’d probably only use a wand. I’ll probably name my wand though, when I find the right one! Right now I use visualization for my circle.

@Dierna_Nimue_Selene that is so cool that you name your tarot decks! I had never thought of doing that!!

6 Likes

What a fantastic idea, I love this! I carry my athame and my boline most of the time as I have a portable alter of sorts that lives in a colorfully woven zippered pouch in my carry-all. I will have to try to focus on one or the other and try this idea and see what happens!

6 Likes

I love how my post sparked some discussions and new ideas for others.

6 Likes

Okay this is cool, @Artemisia :fire: I need to do something like this! I hope you enjoy the process of finding a name :heart:

I agree! I’m loving how this is sparking so much inspiration for everyone. Thank you for opening up the discussion!

6 Likes