Plants to help soothe mosquito bites?

Ohh yeah, I saw on one of your other posts that you’re allergic! I think I’ll make one with the calendula and lavender – hopefully I can get that started tomorrow :blush:

7 Likes

Marigolds contain natural permethrins that keep out bugs, bed & head bugs
Witch hazel is a great topical astringent to reduce the inflammatory mediators as does 91% rubbing alcohol
Feel better

9 Likes

I had forgotten about how wonderful witch hazel is! Definitely something to keep on hand for itchy bug bites… and about a million other things!

7 Likes

Oh my! I had forgotten about this also! I don’t know how, I got some for my daughter, whose Irish skin is very prone to redness & inflammation, especially during this time of year & that whole… acne thing with teenagers. I’ll have to make sure she doesn’t need more & get some before she gets home if she is low. Thank you @Wysteria_Norn & @AileyGrey!

I also use 91% Alcohol for certain irritations & inflammation. I try to have at least one bottle in the house. It’s also good for removing the tackiness from glass that has had some kind of sticky label on it.

7 Likes

Alcohol is also amazing for de-icing your windshield! It melts the ice, but won’t refreeze! I keep some in the garage for mornings when I don’t want to scrape the windshield! In Georgia, it’s not a probably I have very often, but sometimes, always on a day when we are already running late, that windshield will be just as icy as can be! It’s amazing to watch it just melt away!

6 Likes

Oh my @AileyGrey! Thank you for that tid bit! Living in New England you’d think that I would already know that trick :laughing: We had a nice sparkly bit of frosty glaze the other day & I started my car & let it defrost a bit before I went out to run errands. Good trick to keep on hand… I’ll be getting a smaller bottle for the de-icing & scrapers that are going to be a staple by the front door now.

5 Likes

Hello @Mistress_Of_Herbs , how do you make a salve?

I haven’t been too much of a green witch except what I have learned from my mother. But I expect I will learn I have been missing out on some awesome things.

Mosquitoes love me and my son and he gets welts. It would be great so have a slave to put on it or should I just put the tea tree or basil on neat?

7 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose well u can put tea tree on it. Thats up to u

Salves are super easy to make. I do mine the “old” way. Alot of ppl are doing the crock pot method, which i dont know.

My way is to infuse your herbs in oil for a few weeks. Thrn strain them and go from there.

Step 1. Choose your herbs (ie. Calendula, arnica etc)
Step 2. Put into a large enough jar (i use a qt size amber ball jar)
Step 3. Add your choice of oil (i use extra virgin olive oil, but u can use grapeseed, avocado, sunflower, etc) i use olive bc it has a 2 yr self life, the others dont. Add just enough oil to be about an inch above your herbs.
Step 4. Close your lid and shake vigorously
Make sure all of your herb is submerged in the oil. If not add a bit more oil. Then closed lid and shake
Step 5. Place jar away (i keep mine on a dresser out if the way). Some will say u have to continue to shake it daily. However i have found that once submerged its infusing. Shaking it does nothing. The only one i will tell u to continuously shake is lavender as it has a tendency to mold.
Step 6. Keep your jar closed for 2 weeks (too much air isnt your friend and causes mold).
Step 7. After at least 2 weeks…take your jar and strain your herbs. And use a spoon to press out the oil. Every drop counts lol
Step 8. Discard herb in the trash
Step 9. In a double boiler pot, add just enough water to the bottom pot to just barely touch the top pot. Set to boil, i use med high heat, til it boils then down to med just so the stem doesnt get in my way.
Step 10. Find your tin that u want to put the salve into…add your oil to it first then add it to the pot. This is just a tip so u dont have alot of left over oil and no tins. Add your oil to a bit below the top, remmeber u will be adding beeswax.
Step 11. Add beeswax (i grate mine, but ive seen others who have used pellets)
Now this is the part that is mainly a guessing game. I dont measure anything out. While i can give u a guesstimate tho (for a 1/2 cup of oil it would be 3/4 ounces (21 grams) of beeswax).
I always put down wax paper during this process for easier clean up. Once the beeswax melts its done. Make sure to continuously stir your heated oil pr it could burn. U can even add essential oils to this mix while your primary oil is heated.
Step 12. Add to tin or tins whichever
Step 13. Allow to cool and set up.
Step 14. Once completely cooled (which is approximately 1 hr) test your tin. If your salve is too soft u need more beeswax, if too hard more oil is needed. And u will just need to add your cooled salve back into your double boiler and start again with step 11.
Step 15. Once set up and at the consistency u like add your lid and u are done.

@AileyGrey just bc u mentioned wanting a salve lesson too

This one is my calendula and arnica salve

This is my pain away salve

9 Likes

I actually just made my mosquito repellent spray for my nephews who live at Myrtle Beach, SC

7 Likes

Witch hazel is used in my repellent spray. @Susurrus do u need some?

8 Likes

Ok, that settles it. All my school friends are getting salves for Christmas. I’m about to find some cute little tins and order some beeswax!

8 Likes

@AileyGrey awwwwww thats cute.

6 Likes

Thank you! @Mistress_Of_Herbs I am excited to try this out. Where do you buy your tins?

7 Likes

Omg. That is a great idea!!!

7 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs… currently looking for my double boiler :rofl: I know I have one… somewhere.

Anywho… now I also need to find some tins… but currently banned from Amazon, Etsy, and really any online shop or store that doesn’t involve grocery shopping or pharmacy/health items… :joy: So my salves will have to wait to be made I guess unless I can get some in small jars… ooo… :bulb: :exploding_head: … at least I still have some of my salve left in my tin from Tamed Wild. I refill it when it runs out or gets too low :laughing: but I feel like I maybe I will be making other salves now :thinking:

I have Witch Hazel in my room & I just checked our closet… she has some in there if she runs out. I’m assuming she brought the bottle from her room on vacation with her. But thank you for the offer!

I’m wondering if the mosquito salve would work on horsefly bites :face_with_monocle: Those things hurt & itch like crazy! They are common out by the beaches & inlets & the island of where we live. So when we are on the boat they tend to join us. Usually only 1 or 2, but they wreak havoc with everyone on the boat. They don’t discriminate :rofl:

7 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose i get my tins on ebay

6 Likes

@Phoenix_Rose the mosquito repellent is good for all biting insects, including chiggers.

And as for the tins, just ask and ill send u some

6 Likes

@Susurrus i also make my own Capsaicin salve too.

8 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs… expect a message from me for some salves or at least the recipes :rofl: Chronic pain & instability, dry skin, irritations… they all happen here one way or another with someone around here. :laughing: Currently, my husband overextended his knee at work & it’s been bothering him since he came home on Wednesday. He’d rather use something natural, he’s not a fan of medications & like me wants the lowest dose possible. Otherwise he avoids the doctor like the plague. :joy:

7 Likes

Let’s start a thread for @Mistress_Of_Herbs recipes! She needs a hashtag or something! :rofl:

9 Likes