Plants to help soothe mosquito bites?

Hi all, so i know citronella is great for repelling mosquitos, but how about when you are forgetful like me and sit on the grass late in the afternoon like a mosquito buffet only realising i have been feed off for an hour and am now left with little itchy bites? :laughing: :woman_facepalming:
I did a quick search but most plants or oils talk about repelling and like most things i forget to use the prevention rather than cure and am left in a little mess.
Any suggestions would be great :blush:

11 Likes

I am going to experiment with basil and run it on my foot in one area as i have plenty of that growing in my sacred space window sill…

9 Likes

Well it is official witchy folk basil works! I rubbed it on the bites and they no longer even itch… Wish i knew why… Going to do some digging… :blush:

10 Likes

That’s great! I never would have thought of that. Thanks for the info.

8 Likes

I never would have thought of basil working :thinking: I know that Aloe does well to soothe burns and itches. I think Camphor does too. When I was growing up we used to have this stuff called Campho-Phenique that we would use on our bug bites, scratches, and misc. small things. It smelled :laughing: but it worked really well!

8 Likes

I also never would have thought of basil, but I know that Tea Tree Oil can help to relieve the itchiness & redness of minor bites, burns, and the like. I will see if I can find the information for it to share. Once or if I can find it today, I will add an edit this reply & tag you in it. :smile:

9 Likes

Oh yes yall basil works wonders. Especially purple basil and W. African Bitter Basil. Regular green basil is good too. Marigolds are also really good too.

8 Likes

That’s amazing! I’m a mosquito magnet and am always looking for relief. I may make some basil oil for a salve next summer.

9 Likes

I came to recommend tea tree oil too. I am a mosquito magnet and tea tree works for me!

10 Likes

@AileyGrey oh im a magnet too. I get welts. My husband has marigolds, citronella, basil, rosemary, sage, all kinds of plants around the yard. Today im actually going out to collect the marigold seeds, so we have them for next yr. As its supposed to be 65 today.

I also make a calendula and arnica salve to help with the itching and it gets rid of the bites in about a day. Plus its animal friendly, and ive even used it for my dog who is allergic to grass and breaks out in welts.

10 Likes

Ohh I completely forgot about calendula :sweat_smile: I need to make a salve with that soon. I’ve got some calendula flowers in a jar on my altar that need to be used. I think I would even add in lavender. How does that sound?

8 Likes

Ooo… I forgot about the Calendula salve too! I have some in a little tin.

Also, need to remember to get Marigolds for my garden by the front door :laughing: We had them, I just had forgotten to collect the seeds. Oh & Nasturtium too… I put that around 2 of our Oak trees.

7 Likes

Good to know- and most importantly, I’m glad you were able to get rid of the itch! :raised_hands: Mosquitos sure are nasty little buggers :mosquito:

I’ve heard honey helps to ease bee stings (although I use another remedy for bee stings). I wonder if honey or the poultice would help with mosquito bites too? :thinking: I’ll have to wait until the little buggers come back next summer to test the theory! :laughing:

Thanks for sharing your remedy, @TheMuslimWitch! :heart::blush:

7 Likes

I need a calendula and arnica salve lesson, please! I have calendula in my face wash and love it… but not any other. But I am all for anti sleeted bite salves!!

7 Likes

Plantain is great for that. You can find it outdoors, depending on the weather where you live all you do is chew up a leaf and place it on the bite. Or you can buy online dried or buy a plant online keep inside until weather permits you to plant it outdoors. Anyways if you get it dried you can mix with ACV then make a tincture out of the left over. Plantain is not only magical but medicinal.

7 Likes

Try vetivert root amazingggggly magical.

7 Likes

@MeganB for u…lavender sounds great!! For me it sounds like death lol

Ive actually made it that way, even added lavender buds to it. It was well received.

6 Likes

@Susurrus oh girlie i got two tubs full of marigold seeds from our harvest, yesterday. Ill send u some.

7 Likes

@AileyGrey anytime

7 Likes

@antoinette yes it is

7 Likes