Santa Claus and Krampus Prayer

Well to do my Dual Weilding Challenge this week I wanted to work with Santa Claus and his opposite, the Krampus. @Francisco did an excellent job explaining the myth behind St. Nicholas, so I’m going to give you some information about Krampus before sharing my entry.

According to Britannica, , the Krampus is “a half-goat, half-demon monster that punishes misbehaving children at Christmastime.” Apparently, all the little boys and girls on Santa’s naughty list get coals in their stockings, switched by Krampus, or if they are really bad, thrown into his basket or sack to be taken to the underworld with him.

According to legends, he is the son of Hel, Queen of the Norse underworld, so the church really tried to ban people from believing in him, but despite that December the 5th is still known by many to be Krampus Night, when he arrives to punish the little boys and girls who haven’t been listening to their parents.

There are some interesting books out about Krampus, and he’s having a resurgence in popularity lately. Here is also a great article on Krampus, and how he’s connected to the Liminal.

So now that you have some background on Krampus, here is my Yuletide Prayer.

I call on the Spirit of Santa Claus,
known by many names.
Bless us with your presence,
and join us in our games!

Bring us joy and love and laughter,
at the end of a very tough year.
Help us come together
so we can bring in 2022 with cheer!

I call on the Spirit of Krampus,
known for his horns and hooves.
Watch over us carefully,
to make sure we’re doing things that can be approved.

Forgive us our minor mischief’s,
The snitching of cookies and kisses under the mistletoe.
Punish the guilty and the bad,
so that much fun and happiness can be had!

May the Spirits of the Yuletide join us
at the turning of the year!
And make this one a good one,
filled with wonder and cheer!

It seemed fitting to put this up since today is Krampus Night and tomorrow is St. Nicolas’ Day. Hope y’all like it!

16 Likes

Amazing entry @ Amethyst & very fitting for you to post it on December 5. I always wondered how the coal in the stocking was represented through areas & their beliefs. I really liked the article too! Thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Thank you, love! Yeah, I never got the coal thing, until I learned about Krampus. Glad you liked the article!

7 Likes

What an amazing entry! I knew with your unmatchable skill with words it would be good but holey moley guacamole! That was beyond incredible! I knew of Krampus but I never really knew about the darker side to Christmas and how he fit in. Thank you so much for sharing the article. I really am loving learning about all the Pagan beliefs and how they actually tie in to the not so magickal beliefs and legends that we have all grown up with for Christmas time, and a whole lot more celebrations. I never realised how much of the everyday traditions that even the non-magickal minded follow are based in Pagan traditions. I owe my witchy ancestors of the past a whole lot for the celebrations that I am blessed to share with others today.

6 Likes

I really like the duality of this prayer! Nice job, @Amethyst I loved reading it, especially the ending.

Thank you for sharing with us and Happy Yuletide :christmas_tree:

6 Likes

Ow I loved this prayer and it’s funny I actually did give people Santa coal once because they were Naughty!lol
Jeannie

6 Likes

I love how unique the topic is! It brings back memories of when I was younger, watching shows of other countries that celebrate with Krampus. I love learning about other cultures. But anyway you made a great post!! Thanks for the insight!

7 Likes

Thank you so much @jessica72! That’s so sweet of you to say.

It’s amazing to me how many of the traditions the Christians call theirs can be traced to paganism. It gives me the giggles sometimes to think about them flipping out. LOL!

Thank you @Francisco! I’m so happy you liked it. Hope you have a happy Yuletide as well!

Around here there are people who make a black licorice hard candy and call it coal and give it to people for Christmas. Very funny, I think. Glad you liked the prayer!

Thank you, love! Glad you liked it. I didn’t know about Krampus until about ten years ago. It’s amazing how he’s becoming more popular.

7 Likes

Perfectly timed, Amethyst! :laughing: :+1: And that is interesting with Krampus Night being followed by Saint Nicholas’ Day… Night and Day, Krampus and Santa Claus! What a fun (and very seasonal) duality to explore- great job, Amethyst!

And goodness, that prayer! :heart_eyes: It’s amazing- I love how you leap back and forth between the two before combining at the end with the Spirits of the Yuletide stanza. We need to get you signed with a movie company- it’s easy to picture this prayer as a musical piece in a Christmas documentary or film! :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for saying so! I’m so glad it turned out well! Thank you for the great challenge!

5 Likes

@Amethyst i love it. As always beautifully written with a hint of humor.

6 Likes

Thanks so much, @crystal24! I’m glad you like it!

5 Likes

I love that prayer @Amethyst. This choice is very interesting and I enjoyed the information, I even learned a few things. Outstanding!!

5 Likes

Thanks, @debra2! It seemed fitting for this time of year.

5 Likes

Wow, @Valen, that looks very cool!

7 Likes

“A sinister winter aroma of frankincense, woods, & holiday spice”

(If I read that right!)

Well that’s just perfect- what a fun incense to find, @Valen! :laughing: :+1: Please let us know what you think of it when you give it a try! :blush:

7 Likes

The artwork is so nice, I wouldn’t want to burn it just keep it forever lol

6 Likes

Very informative
Valen I like the artwork too
Thank you :blush:
Jeannie

5 Likes