The Dark Moon carries an energy all its own and doing shadow work during this phase of the moon is very beneficial. Shadow work is an exercise where you face your inner demons and befriend them instead of suppressing them. I did some shadow work on the last dark moon.
This description I found to be very on point – Shadow Work: The inner work of facing your demons. Asking yourself why you are the way you are, and then having the courage to actively work against detrimental behaviors and beliefs while also embracing the hidden or shamed parts of yourself. The spiritual and psychological work of dealing with your own .
I created a board of what that shadow work visually looked like for me. It’s ugly…When I finished picking out the pictures my first reaction was “Damn, I’m a wreck!” LOL But actually FACING them and SEEING a visual representation made it easier for me to dissect and accept and make peace with it.
These are all things I don’t like about myself or feel insecure about:
- Anxiety brain - ugh…just ugh lol
- Negative internal dialog’s takeover - Negative self talk & creating negative scenarios.
- Chaotic brain and internal battles - over thinks - looks for hidden meanings.
- Ego - This doesn’t mean I have to put others down to make myself feel better - I have learned it’s the opposite. If I help others and raise others up I automatically feel better about myself.
- Reactive instead of proactive; I grew up in a house hold where there was a lot of yelling and reactiveness. It’s all I ever knew. I have been like this and it has been hard to change and a lot of work but worth it! I try to always take a step back now before I open my big trap lol.
- Too sensitive overall - I blame my empathic tendencies for some of this & I know I am just sensitive in nature as I struggle with panic disorder and GAD.
Have you ever done shadow work or created a shadow work visualization?
Using some form of art in shadow work can be very powerful and eye opening. Psychologists use art therapy as a way to help patients explore their inner selves. It is because art is a great way to allow your Shadow to manifest itself.
- the examination or observation of one’s own mental and emotional processes.
Grab a notebook (or digital format) and write down things you don’t like about yourself or things you feel insecure about.
Do you know why these things bother you? Can you pin point why these things trigger you?
Feel free to share your thoughts if you wish or keep them private if you are more comfortable.