Smoke cleansing, what type?

So I was on a website looking a smoke cleansing bundles and was wondering what everyone used. I know I use White Sage a lot, occaisionally palo santo. But wondering if there is others that would be good to have. Lavender is something I’ve already known about

I have researched smoke cleansing and like to do it in my house. I feel it makes a difference.

Thanks ahead of time

6 Likes

Hiii @Dierna_Nimue_Selene! :smiling_face: Merry Meet! :cherry_blossom: I am soo glad somebody is exactly using the two same things that I too, use for smoke cleansing! Although I usually use HEM incense sticks, it is exactly the same as yours! White Sage and Palo Santo are certainly the bestest fragrances as well as smoke cleansers! I loooove using them, currently I am using a pack of Palo Santo sticks but will soon switch to other smoke cleansing incenses! For example, about 4 months ago I had ordered a big bulk pack of incense sticks from HEM India, where I actually got a full box of free palo santo sticks!!! :star_struck: I had ordered the white sage sticks and mixed combo pack of herb incenses and flower incenses!! I absolutely adore them!! Soo much that I don’t want to use them! Hahaha! :heart_eyes: :joy: But coming back to your question here…I personally think, no one or two smoke cleansing bundles or incenses can ever be enough for a witch! Can it be? You must explore the stores and buy lots of good stuff out there for smoke cleansing! Hope you have a happily merry year ahead filled with enchanting and cleansing fragrances! Blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

White sage and Palo Santo are definitely two of the most common herbs used for smoke cleansing, that’s for sure! There is some debate among witches on the ethics of using both White Sage and Palo Santo (I’ll drop this link here for you if you want to read it) – it’s always good to have alternatives on hand anyway!

Juniper has been used for hundreds of years for smoke cleansing. It was used in Scotland for a practice called Saining. This closely resembles the smoke cleansing and Smudging ceremonies of Indigenous Peoples of west coast of the US.

Rosemary is also a great cleansing herb to have on hand that can be used to smoke cleanse.

I think even Lavender would be good for smoke cleansing!

Each of these, while they will cleanse a space, also have other properties they bring to their smoke cleansing, too, so you can even mix and match them in bundles to bring all of those properties together.

5 Likes

Wow, but please don’t mention Juniper…the name of this makes me daydream, like madly!! I just can’t get Juniper in India! :sob: And worse…I love it so much that I was thinking of writing a poem on it my diary no.3!! The title goes like this - ‘The Prismatic Juniper’ Now, to be honest, it seems like we will be two separated lovers forever…(me and Juniper) :pleading_face:

5 Likes

I have used Blue & Common Sage, Palo Santo (when ethically sourced), Lavender, Juniper with rose petals, Lavender, & Dragon’s Blood. Oh! Cedar bundles too! I know that there are a couple of others but my brain is lagging this morning. :laughing: Usually, it’s a bundle of either Sage or Juniper or Cedar, sometimes with Rose Petals in them. Or an incense stick of Lavender or Dragon’s Blood. I have also used the incense that I make on my own for the Morrigan & for Brighid.

5 Likes

Okay I love this for you dear @Siofra_Strega but my heart is breaking here for what I am missing out on… :broken_heart:

5 Likes

Aww don’t feel like you’re missing out! One of the best things you could possibly use to cleanse your space are the things you have that grow local to you. See what’s around you that has been used for cleansing and go with that!

I don’t tend to use Juniper anymore because it doesn’t grow where I live now. When I lived in Oregon, Juniper was everywhere and I could harvest it from my own backyard! Now I tend to use incense or a combination of oak and Spanish moss.

5 Likes

@Solasta_Amore um… I’m not sure why your heart is breaking :broken_heart:? What did I say? It certainly wasn’t my intent :cry:

4 Likes

Oh no now don’t make me cry that I upset you @Susurrus ! I did not mean to say that to your comment! I just expressed my true feelings currently! Please, dont be upset! I really really did NOT mean that! Love you tons! I am pained because I can’t get Juniper here! :pleading_face:

5 Likes

That truly does sound pleasing & cheering Megan! :face_holding_back_tears: Thank you and a little bad luck I have here tho, I live in the middle of a full and proper city area, so no herbs or plants growing nearby (the back plot is locked since years) So I am basically doomed…leave it! I will overcome my loss and will practice loving every single plant I can get! Thank you! :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

OH! I was trying to figure out what I said & kept re-reading my reply! Sorry, a foggy brain can be to my own detriment! I happen to get the Juniper from either a Tamed Wild Box or their site itself. I don’t have any that grow near me. But if I don’t receive it or I’m not able to buy it, my go-to is a Sage or Palo Santo, or incense that I have made or sticks.

5 Likes

Wooow! I would lovee to know how to make incense all by yourself, at home @Siofra_Strega ! :heart_eyes: And also i sincerely hope I did NOT spoil anybody’s day… :face_holding_back_tears:

5 Likes

Okay, here’s a little assignment for you (if you wanna do it, of course lol) – go to your local grocery store and look in the herbs and spices area. Write down a few different ones you see and then research their magickal properties. I’m sure you can find something that can be used for cleansing and protection that’s right there where you are! Just because you’re in the city doesn’t mean you’re disconnected from the magick!

5 Likes

Yes! I have a nice grocery store nearby and I am doing this assignment! Much Love and blessings to you! :smiling_face:

4 Likes

@Solasta_Amore I want to say I’m sorry for the misunderstanding & you didn’t ruin my day at all! I also agree with @MeganB suggestion… I have found things that I never thought I would be able to get in the fresh herbs part of the produce section & the herbs/spices section of the store! Also, if there are any nursery or plant types shops nearby or in surrounding areas, you can find some things there too!

4 Likes

And to you as well! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Thanks dearo :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

@Solasta_Amore you are very welcome. My love to you :people_hugging: :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Hi @Dierna_Nimue_Selene!

You’ve got some awesome advice and suggestions here about smoke cleansing already- all I have to add that hasn’t already been mentioned is a simmer pot! It’s a method of cleansing/adding magick to the space that is much less “smokey” than many incense sticks, so it is a good option for those in smaller places (or places that aren’t well-ventilated, as breathing any kind of smoke can bring health hazards).

You can also customize it however you’d like and can use up leftover fruits that might otherwise go to waste :recycle: Plenty of recipes out there too! It’s a great kitchen witch way of cleansing :wink::fondue: :sparkles:

Here’s a recipe for one I made the other week → Seasonal Simmer Pot

Good luck with your cleansing and blessed be! :sparkles:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.