šŸ“ Spells8 Book Club XXXV - Readers' Reviews!

This Readersā€™ Review has closed- please go to Activities to find and join the current session and current Readersā€™ Review post. You can also view all book club reviews in the Book Review Collection :books:

Wishing a very warm welcome to all of the Witchy Readers! :open_book:

The latest reading period for Book Club [Jan 19 - Feb 16] has now ended - thank you to everyone who joined in!

Members & Their Books This Reading Period:

• Card of the Day Tarot by Kerry Ward
    @Amethyst

• Witchcraft Unchained by Craig Spencer
    @MeganB

• Spirit keeping and Spirit vessels by S Connolly
    @tracyS

• The Old Norse Spell Book by Alda Dagny
    @Nixi

• A Beginnerā€™s Guide to Numerology by Joy Woodward
    @Mystique

• Intuitive Witchcraf: How to Use Intuition to Elevate Your Craft by Astrea Taylor @AileyGrey

• The Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie
    @Wysteria_Norn

• Weave The Liminal: Living Modern Traditional Witchcraft by Laura Tempest Zakroff @BlueAngelite

• Imbolc Llewellyn Sabbath Essentials by Carl F. Neil
    @celineelise

• Ī’Ī±ĻƒĪ¹ĪŗĪµĻ‚ Ī±ĻĻ‡ĪµĻ‚ Ļ„Ī·Ļ‚ Ļ€ĻĪ±ĪŗĻ„Ī¹ĪŗĪ·Ļ‚ Ī¼Ī±Ī³ĪµĪ¹Ī±Ļ‚ (Basic principles of practical magic) by Israel Regardie
    @AIRAM

Even if you are not listed above but you read a book during this reading period/ you decided to read a different book than listed- you are very welcome to share and discuss here too!

Time to share your thoughts with your coven! :star_struck:

This discussion post will serve as a place to share your thoughts and opinions on the book you chose.

• :heart_eyes: If you loved your book and think everyone should read it- awesome! Talk about your favorite points or something you learned.
  • :woman_shrugging: If you didnā€™t connect with the book- consider explaining why it wasnā€™t for you.
  • :angry: Absolutely hated your book of choice? Warn others to stay away!

This is a great place to share your love for books and find recommendations for new books to read :+1:

Picture from Canva

Your book review can be as simple or elaborate as youā€™d like :writing_hand:

If youā€™re not sure what to talk about, here is a suggested format you can use. Feel free to write as little or as much as youā€™d like!

Book Title and Author:

Status? : Finished / Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No

Remember that your review is uniquely yours- this is a chance to let your opinions and voice be heard :raised_hands:

Please keep in mind that others may have opinions that differ from yours- when responding to the thoughts of others please always show respect! Remember that 100 people will read 1 book and have 100 different experiences. Thatā€™s what makes sharing interesting :heart:

What if I didnā€™t finish my book / joined late? :raised_hand:

No worries!

You are welcome to share your thoughts about the part you have read so far. If you joined the session late and have just started, feel free to talk about your expectations for your book. You can continue reading it into the next reading period.

And whether you read a book or not - you are very welcome to jump in and discuss what others share about their books! :handshake:

Picture from Canva

Deadlines and Dates :spiral_calendar:

You have 5 weeks to share your thoughts and discuss (until the next Readersā€™ Review Post appears in the forum!)

Deadline for Reviews for this Session: Friday, March 22

While you have plenty of time for reviews, know that the next reading period will begin in one week:

The Next Reading Session will Begin: Friday, February 23

On this day a post will appear where you can announce your next book (or continue with your current reading!).

Until then, you can find more info about the club in the Book Club FAQ.

Picture from Canva

It can be hard to find the time and motivation to read on your own- hopefully book club helped provide a bit of motivation and that it led to some wonderful new knowledge and discoveries in your Craft :books:

Thanks again for joining in and being a part of Book Club! I am so excited to read your thoughts and learn more about the book you spent time with :blush::open_book:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

:books: :heart: :infinite_roots:

6 Likes

The Middle Pillar by Israel Regardie

Rating: 5/5
How Does This Book Reflect or Apply to Your Magickal Practice?
Magickal practice is ā€˜sectionedā€™ into two parts (depending on tradition) of High Magic, which encompasses ceremonial magick and active engagement with oneā€™s High Guardian Angel (Kether, Higher Self, Tao, etc), Talker (Heart Chakra, Conscious self, Ego, Ruach, etc) and Fetch (Animal Soul, Yesod, Primal Being, etc) and Low Magic, witchcraft, sorcery, and all other practices that encompass interaction with material matter.

For me, since intention is such a vital component in properly constructed and effective witchcraft, aligning oneā€™s Three Souls is the foundation to all things spiritual.

Hence, again for me only, performing Low Magic can only be done to its greatest effect in collaboration with High and vice versa.

Notable Quotes:
ā€œā€¦When what formerly was unconscious has been brought within the horizon of consciousness, the entire character of life becomes changed and illuminated.ā€ Pg 62

Adeptship is defined by Regardie as, ā€œā€¦that path by which man is translated into a vibratory co-worker with nature in the task of evolution.ā€ Pg 73-81 (depending on formatting)

ā€œThe theory here is that by awakening a power or level of consciousness within manā€™s own sphere, its possible to contact the corresponding force in the external world or a similar level of perception and experience in the collective unconscious.ā€ (Pg 72-81 depending on formatting)

Regarding the Vibratory Method, Regardie states, ā€œā€¦The test of the vibrationā€¦is that it should resonate in the palms of the hands and in the soles of the feet.ā€ pg. 85

Important Points
The book is much more than just a Middle Pillar ā€˜How-Toā€™. It gives an introductory lesson on Qabbalah, its Tree of Life and Four Worlds, the Qabbalistic Cross, the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP), the Middle Pillar (Of course! :wink:), the Vibratory Formula, visualization techniques, and Four Beat Rhythm breathing among many other less pronounced methodologies.

Would You Recommend This Book to Others?
Without question. Whether you consider yourself a practitioner of High Magic or Low Magic, everyone can benefit from the techniques taught in this book.

Caveat: I happen to LOVE reading Regardieā€™s work, so I am extremely biased. But in my defense, his writing is authentic, well intentioned and provides results!

11 Likes

Wow, this book sounds absolutely loaded with information- so many interesting things to explore! :star_struck: Iā€™ve always been called more towards what most would consider Low/Middle magick, but I do admit that Iā€™m curious about exploring High Magick a bit more. This book sounds like it would be a worthy read, and bonus points for a good author too! Itā€™s always fun when we connect with the authorā€™s style :blush:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on The Middle Pillar, Wysteria- Iā€™m so glad you enjoyed the book! :heart: :open_book:

10 Likes

@Wysteria_Norn this book sounds great! Iā€™m definitely putting this on my read list! I have always wanted to learn more about High magick! Sounds like this book is exactly what I need!

11 Likes

This book sounds great @Wysteria_Norn. Thanks for sharing it with us.

12 Likes

I read my Imbolc Book.
I have been practicing witchy things since about 2015 but have never celebrated all of the Sabbaths in a year so that is one of my goals for this year. I still feel like a baby witch in the area of understanding the Sabbaths so that is why I chose this book.

Imbolc Llewellyn Sabbath Essentials by Carl F. Neil
This book is great for someone who wants to learn the history of the wheel of the year and specifically how to celebrate Imbolc and pay homage to the Goddess Bridgit and learn how to plants seeds literally and figuratively.
The beginning chapter talks about the wheel of the year and the Sabbaths.
The next section is about the old ways of celebrating. It has interesting history about how other cultures have celebrated at this time of year. It talks about St. Valentine,
Lupercalia, Chinese New Year. It talks about the difference between Saint Brigid and the Goddess Brigid.
I love that the Catholic Church had to make her into a St. because people would not let her go.
The next section is about the new ways and talks about how modern pagans celebrate Imbolc and what other celebrations happen at the same time. It talks about cleansing, planing seeds and doing good deeds for others.
It has a Spells and DIvination section which includes:
Bridgit Candle Divination
Blessing the candles
Milk Moon Spell ( still unclear which moon this is)
Air Divination

Next a recipes and Crafts section:
Teaches you how to make butter, cheese, soda bread, fortune cookies. How to make a Bridgitā€™s Cross, how to make candles, dress the candles, making Bridgit dollies.
Then a prayer Section:
One to Ganesha
Several to Brigid for healing
Propehecies of Fannus
Rituals Section:
One for an individual
One for a couple
One for a group

I really enjoyed this book and have read their Yule version too. I like that there is history and there is so many ways to celebrate.
I did the invocation for health and made several Bridgitā€™s crosses. Next year hope to have the 1st and 2nd of Feb off or not as busy as this year so I can do more celebratory things :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Iā€™ve been eyeing this series. It looks great based on your review! Thanks for sharing. :brigid_cross:

12 Likes

@celineelise I read this book too! I suppose I should write a review!

Me too, but then I realized I had read the Imbolc book!

@celineelise @BlueAngelite I do have the complete set. Honestly Iā€™m not sure if it was worth money. I feel like many of it could be found online. On the other hand I like that all the information is in one book! I put post its on some of the crafts and rituals for next year!

Iā€™m undecided about what book to read. I feel like I shouldnā€™t commit to one then not read much of it

11 Likes

Totally hear you about paying for the full set. I bought them used so I paid about 1/2 the price. And have been squirreling them away from different resources. I just found 5 of them on pangobooks.com for $6 each.
I do enjoy that it has lots of suggestions in one book instead of having to scour the internet.

11 Likes

@celineelise I think I paid $70 for all 8 of them. I bought them on thrift books and they were new

11 Likes

Spirit Keeping by S Connolly

Itā€™s a short book, but I would definitely recommend if this is an area of the craft youā€™re thinking about.

Why? First she hilights you canā€™t spirit keep/bind/control any demon no matter what the shop says, theyā€™re divine, so if the seller tells you that Asmodays spirit is attached to this vessel for Ā£xxxx its fake, donā€™t buy it.
Second: she tells you how to test the vessel youā€™ve bought to see if it has some other kind of spirit, and how to find what it is.
Third: She talks about thought forms and how to charge them and keep them charged.

For me though, the best part of this book is it goes into great detail on how to deal with nasty spirits. This is in relation to spirit keeping, but the method can be applied to any environment where you may encounter what she calls others. She also teaches you how to make your own vessel and how to attract a particular spirit to it. Sheā€™s very respectful in how these spirits should be treated, and states that once you do it yourself, you are sure to have a good spirit, that wants to work with you, without the risk of being conned.

All in a very interesting read. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing spirit keeping myself, I got enough beings in my house already without adding more, but Iā€™m taking away her cleansing techniques as they are a definite ritual to keep for when things may go wrong.

10/10

12 Likes

@tracyS sounds like an amazing book! Adding this one to my list for sure! Iā€™m thinking this book club may be a bad idea for me :rofl::rofl::rofl: Iā€™ve been curious about ā€œthingsā€ having spirits attached to them since I bought an antique rocking chair for $5 34 years ago that appeared to be ā€œhauntedā€. This book is perfect for me!

9 Likes

Ooh if you ever do find out the story behind it, Iā€™d love to hear it :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

I have to be careful with the antique stores I go to. It can really mess me up. And
@tracyS

I totally agree with this. I feel like if a spirit wants to stay attached to something it will .

@Mystique Please tell us about your haunted rocking chairā€¦

11 Likes

Story of the antique rocker.

So, I was pregnant with my oldest who is now 35 and wanted a rocking chair for the nursery. I was at a garage sale and found a real nice very old rocking chair for $10. I had five dollars left and asked if she would take less thinking I would never get it. She said ā€œ yes, what do you offer ā€œ. So I told her I only had five left but would love it for my nursery. She told me she would take five, she just wanted it out of her house. She then told me not to put it in my nursery. I just gave her a funny look and gave her the money. I should have caught on to what she was saying and how she looked. I had left a coven of dark magic witches (by this I mean did not follow the law of 3) about 8 months prior to this.

Got the chair home and put it in the nursery. The first couple nights were quiet then I started hearing noises in the room. My daughter was not born yet. I would go in there and the chair would be moved or rocking or both. Sometimes the bedroom would be rearranged with the crib in a different spot. I was never scared as I knew what was going on.

After Kaylahna was born when she would cry at night I would hear humming or singing in her room. When i would check on her the chair was always rocking. But whatever was in the chair calmed her when she cried until I could get there.

Now that sheā€™s grown, she has the chair. But she keeps it in her garage because she is afraid of it.

10 Likes

@Mystique Oh my, this is beautiful

Iā€™d have to find out who was attached to the chair, their story. Could be a lost spirit looking for love. Itā€™s a shame you canā€™t talk to the spirit in the chair. Maybe you were meant to have it. Thankyou for sharing this. :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

Sounds like a great book, @AIRAM - I hope you continue to enjoy it! Happy reading :books: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This sounds like a lovely book loaded with ways to enjoy Imbolc time :candle: :blush: I have the Ostara Llewellyn Sabbat Essentials book and Iā€™ve been waiting until Ostara to read it- since itā€™s in the same series, I imagine itā€™s going to be pretty similar. From what youā€™ve said, it sounds like a really solid series loaded with helpful Sabbat information! I like how it explores some of the other holidays and happenings of the season too. Very helpful! :open_book: :star_struck:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, @celineelise! :pray:

Woohoo! Look at you go, Sivonnah! :tada: :raised_hands: :heart:

I know that feeling! Honestly, Iā€™d encourage you to just go ahead and pick one that calls to you right now - no worries about commitment. If itā€™s not good or you change your mind you can always switch! Books are patient and donā€™t get offended easily. Theyā€™re wonderful like that :grin: :+1:

10/10 woohoo! :partying_face: This sounds like a quick but insightful read full of handy spirit info. I like that she doesnā€™t shy away from handling the ā€œnasty spiritsā€- Iā€™m sure that information will be helpful to some!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Tracy, Iā€™m glad you enjoyed Spirit Keeping! :ghost: :sparkles:

Wow! It sounds like whatever was attached to the chair didnā€™t mean any harm, but still - I think Iā€™d be spooked too! :chair: :eyes:

Beautiful story, though- thank you for sharing it :pray:

9 Likes

BOOK REVIEW

I read A Beginners Guide To Numerology. This was an amazing book! I learned way more about numerology then I thought I would. So much more to it than I originally thought.

The first chapter tells about the history of numerology. Tells about how it was used back in cave days up to now. Explains how numbers have vibrations which I didnā€™t realize until I started working with the numbers.

The second chapter explains your birthday number, which is the easiest number to figure out. Also begins to explain what the master numbers are and that they donā€™t get reduced. This chapter also explains karmic debt, which I had no idea existed! Itā€™s amazing to realize we all have a debt we owe to karma and if we donā€™t correct things in this life we still owe that debt in our next. It then gives the meaning of all birthday numbers.
The next section of this chapter explains your life path number and how to figure it out and the meaning of that number. Then explains how to put together the birthday and life path number.

Chapter 3 tells about the secret in your name and your destiny number. Every letter of the alphabet corresponds to a number 1-9. Those numbers are used to find your destiny number using your name. It then explains the meanings of your destiny number.
This chapter also tells how to choose a babies name using numerology. Itā€™s quite interesting how you can choose your childā€™s core profile using numerology.

The next section explains how to get your soul and personality numbers and the meaning of them. It then goes on using those numbers to show what karmic lessons you need yo learn to erase your karmic debt.

The next section in this chapter explains the concords, which is a set of 3 of the core numbers which share a common interest and traits. These numbers are determined using your birthday and life path numbers. They tell if you are more of an intellect, business minded or creative, or a combination.

It then tells how to find your maturity number and the meaning of that number.

It then tells how repeat numbers in your core profile affect your life. Repeat numbers will intensify that trait.

Chapter 4 explains how numerology works in a 9 year pattern and how to find what month and year you are in in your life. The nine year pattern is repeated over and over. Explains how if you are in year one that it is a time for new beginnings and year nine is a time for finishing up what you have been working in so you can prepare for your next year one. It makes me think of how we use the moon cycles for new beginnings and cleaning up loose ends.

Chapter 5 tells how to create a birth chart and name chart and how to find what karmic debt you actually owe and what lessons are needed to fulfill that debt so you donā€™t take it into the next life.

Chapter 6 tells how to bring it all together, decoding your future, compatibility and relationships.

Chapter 7 tells how numerology works in tarot, astrology and crystal connections. Explains how if you pull multiple cards in tarot that have the same number how to read them. How in astrology the numbers work with star signs and the moon. With crystals how certain stones, based on your numbers, can help with certain kinds of emotional healing.

The final chapter gives a brief introduction to angel numbers and explains how to read numbers for others.

Sorry this is so long! This is an amazing book for anyone wanting to learn about numerology. I highly recommend it!

10 Likes

A real deep dive into the topic- this book sounds like a very thorough exploration of Numerology! :1234: Despite the amount of content it seems very clearly organized with each chapter exploring a unique aspect. I imagine this will make it easy if you ever find yourself referencing the material in the future.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the book and itā€™s content, Mystique, Iā€™m so glad you enjoyed A Beginnerā€™s Guide to Numerology. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :heart: :blush:

9 Likes

Sad to say, with one thing and another I didnā€™t finish my book this month. Iā€™ll have to carry it over.

9 Likes