Spike mat / bed of nails

I’ve recently got to try one of these, and already noticed a few interesting effects. Used together with meditation it can keep me grounded to my body (it’s kinda hard to ignore a few thousand little spikes poking your back! :sweat_smile: ). Together with mindful breathing and doing a body scan it can create a very intense physical focus.

The spikes have also helped me with mental blocks and restlessness, and given a temporary relief to muscle and joint pains. I haven’t tried acupuncture or acupressure (yet) but I’d imagine this would be a kind of “brute force” approach to that - just poke every single point there is, you’ll hit the right one inevitably! :grin: There is also a strong endorphin “high” after getting up from the mat that feels pleasurable. I’ve heard of people falling asleep on these but I don’t think I could do that, even though it’s lovely to use just before sleep.

Have you tried this curious little device that looks like it belongs in a torture chamber?

12 Likes

I’ve done acupuncture before (with pretty good results!) but I’d never heard of a Spike Mat- I had to look into this!

I found them on pretty much every online reseller (even the local Polish sites)- it looks like you can get a whole set on Amazon:

[Pic from Amazon]

I was picturing some kind of torture-like device, but most of them look really normal, like something you’d see at the yoga studio :woman_in_lotus_position: There were a few scary-looking Spike Mats- but it looks like these (although they have the same name) are a whole different product designed to keep naughty cats out of trouble :joy_cat:

I read an article about Acupressure Mats on Healthline- it looks like you have to endure the discomfort for about 10-20 minutes before the good feelings settle in. I’m not sure if I’d be able to handle the pokey pain for that long- but if the opportunity ever arises, I’d be up for giving a spike mat a try! :grin::+1:

Thanks so much for sharing about this, @CelestiaMoon! :blush: Enjoy your mat and happy meditating :sparkles:

6 Likes

Omg these look amazing! Thank you for sharing it with us :heart: they have been added to my wish list :blush:

6 Likes

Thank you @CelestiaMoon! I wonder if this would help my back? I want to look into it, I’m very intrigued. Especially if it helps before bed! Although I did sleep through the night last night, a nice surprise! I’m going to see what I can find out about them now. I may actually fall asleep on it, I fell asleep during a tattoo session. Thank you so much for sharing!

6 Likes

Eventually :sweat_smile:

I have tried using a bed of nails and I can’t find one that made the type that I used. I’m picky. It was way back in the early morning of 1999. I was just getting into the midst of my meditation phase and it never ended. I loved using it. I had my uncle’s help to guide me. Rip but I can’t find one yet. Maybe it’s the memory of us that I don’t wanna change. Or maybe I should use that to fuel the fire to get a new one!!! Once you eventually get past the pain, it is worth it!!!

6 Likes

I was surprised how easily I could find them here, too! They have sneakily found their way into pretty much every department store. They look very non-intimidating in pictures (good job marketing people :grin:), but the spikes are surprisingly sharp!

Now this one looks a lot more painful! :joy_cat:
The spikes don’t look like they’d keep straight enough to lay on but maybe someone crafty could cast them into a plastic frame or something… :grin:

Thank you, happy to share :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Ooh I have one of these! I call it my stab mat :joy:
I bought it to help with back pain.
The first time I used it I thought it was insane and was questioning what on earth I was thinking trying to ‘relax’ on this torture device haha but now I absolutely love it - I use it most nights alongside my sleep meditation app - it’s so relaxing!
I’d definitely recommend it. I’ve fallen asleep on it so many times :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I’m happy to hear you slept well! And excited for you, I hope it’s something you can try safely and that it could give you some relief from the pain, especially before sleep. :heart:

4 Likes

Something like this maybe? I’d love to get one (but they’re expensive! :sweat_smile:), the spikes look longer and there aren’t gaps between them. There are different hardnesses to them available too, and specially molded ones with straps for wearing.

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to look into it. I am so excited as well, a lot of things are aligning for me recently. Even my daily pain has gotten way more manageable & I can do a lot of things that for a few years I was unable to do. Anything that means NOT adding another medication I will try out. Right now I am working on coming off of 1 of my pain medicines so I am only taking the pain medicine as needed instead of twice a day & as needed. We’ll see how this goes. :rofl:

3 Likes

I love it! :joy:

I was more open to it having experimented with pain before (cough :sweat_smile:) but (call me evil :grin:) the shock and disbelief of people new to it is definitely part of the fun! :laughing:

5 Likes

@Limeberry & @CelestiaMoon I love that both of you call it a torture device. I have a TENS that I use for pain. It feels like pins & needs that send an electrical current through your muscles. It’s like a gift from the Gods & Goddesses for back pain. So I will literally try anything before medication or surgery. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Only in the most loving way :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’m that weird girl who looks at a medieval torture device and goes “ooh, that looks fun!” :joy:

That sounds fun too (:grin:) and I’m happy that it works for you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My mother had chronic back pain too and went through two surgeries that gave her only temporary relief, so I know better than to recommend that. Instead I hope you’ll find more weird and wonderful gadgets to experiment with! :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Ooh I had a little machine like that called Cefaly - I used to stick it on my forehead for my migraines! Unfortunately I had to resort to lots of meds in the end :pensive: but HA that was quite the experience too :sweat_smile:

oh definitely call me evil too then because I love getting people to try it to see their horrified reactions :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve ordered one from amazon. I’ve had chronic back issues since I was 18 and it’s been playing up badly this week. If this helps I’ll be so happy!

5 Likes

Ooo definitely let me know!

That should say needles :rofl: thinking :thinking: faster than I was typing :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t2:

I :heart: the TENS unit. I have gotten a few people to try after some weird looks. I didn’t think it would work until my Physical Therapist used it on me. I was in heaven after that!

3 Likes

I don’t have a tens unit but do have a vintage violet wand.

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try one of those! I remember having a cheap 20€ “electric play” thing that allowed setting an intensity and gave out electric impulses, mostly to the hand holding it rather than the target area :joy: I liked the sensation, and can see how it would also be helpful with soothing pain, but it might be wise to invest a little more on the device… :grin:

4 Likes

Some of the play ones really aren’t worth the money you spend on them.

Mine is a reconditioned vintage one from Austria, bought from a lovely Austrian gentleman on eBay. It has some kick to it, which I like. I’ve always been a bit of a weird relationship with electricity :rofl:

4 Likes

That’s good advice, thank you, I’ll have to be careful if I decide to get one.

I could say I’ve had a kind of a weird relationship with pins and needles too… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes