🌼 Sugared Flowers - A Sweet Summer Solstice Treat

:warning: This recipe contains alcohol :wine_glass:

Merry meet!

I was really inspired by the mouth-watering magick happening in the recent Culinary Magick Challenge- although it’s too late for an entry, I still wanted to put that inspiration into motion with a fun little kitchen project! :grinning:

These are sugared flowers (sometimes called candied flowers)- a popular way to preserve edible flowers. They are commonly used to decorate baked goods such as cakes or cookies :cake:

What you need:

• Chemical-free edible flowers and herbs
  • 1 egg
  • Spoonful of vodka (can substitute for water)
  • Granulated white sugar

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~* ~ * ~

Begin by selecting edible flowers in your garden. Be sure to only use flowers that have not been treated with chemicals!

I found some peonies, violas, beach rose petals, and mint leaves to use, but other edible flowers (such as nasturtiums, lavender, roses, etc.) would also work.

Bring your flowers inside and give them a gentle wash- while you know they are free from chemicals, you can’t be sure if they are free from visiting wildlife. Best to give them a good cleansing! :sparkles:

Gently dry them off- you can lay them out on a paper towel or hand towel while you take out the rest of your ingredients.

Pour a small dish of white sugar.

In another dish, crack your egg and separate it- you can set the yolk aside to use in other recipes. Keep the egg whites in a small bowl and add a splash of vodka.

vodka-shot
Gif from Tenor

Then it’s time to mix! Whisk the egg white and vodka together until it starts to foam, then set it aside.

As you are putting away the vodka, realize that there is an open bottle of Chambord in the cabinet. In order to complete this recipe successfully and ensure the high quality of all ingredients in your kitchen, you really ought to have a taste test.

(I’m joking, of course :joy:)

Time to sugar coat your flowers!

The recipes I was looking at all had these cute little paintbrushes- I have tons of them laying around here, but none of which haven’t already been used in paint. In the name of food safety, I used a kitchen rubber painting tool instead. It worked okay! :paintbrush:

Then dip the petal or leaf into the sugar. It seemed like sprinkling wasn’t getting enough sugar onto the material- dipping them seemed to be a better way to get them thoroughly coated.

And leave them to dry overnight! If they are still a bit wet in the morning, flip them over and give them more time to dry.

You can eat them as is or use them to decorate your baked goods :cupcake: :herb: I’m still not sure how I’m going to use mine! (EDIT: I put them on these lemon butter cookies :cookie:)

Blessed be! :hibiscus:

Recipes and guides used:

12 Likes

Those would be so pretty on a cake or cupcake! Nice idea for Litha!

9 Likes

Oh this would be lovely for what we call “deck days” in my neighborhood! I’ll have to remeber this one!

8 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten flowers before… :thinking:

Wait! I take that back! I had a gorgeous lavender latte at a local French cafe one day. It was delicious and had lavender flowers on top!

No clue how they did it, but even the whipped topping was made with lavender. It was divine!

I’ll save this recipe for when my banana plant starts flowering. As far as I know, those flowers are also edible!

11 Likes

@Amethyst Thanks, Amethyst! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I ended up making some lemon butter cookies to put them on:

@Susurrus They are definitely a conversation starter haha! I hope that you have fun making them if you decide to have some for your deck days :blush:

@MeganB That looks amazing! :heart_eyes: I wonder how they made the whipped topping with lavender? Oil or flavoring perhaps? Gosh, I bet it tasted amazing! I would love a cup of this haha! :coffee: :purple_heart: :blush: And banana would be fun to sugar- let me know how it goes for you! :grinning:

9 Likes

What pretty cookies! Almost too pretty to eat! LOL!

6 Likes

It was so good and I’d love to go back :purple_heart: it’s just a bit expensive, so it has to be a sweet treat :sweat_smile: I have no clue how they did the lavender whipped topping but it was delicious!

I don’t think I’ll have banana flowers until next year. The plant can take up to 15 months to start producing bananas. Have you ever seen a banana flower? I hadn’t and they’re really strange-looking :laughing: here’s a picture for reference!

Image Source

I can’t wait to have my own bananas :laughing: we go through them so fast here at my house!

6 Likes

They are exquisite! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

They are beautiful!

6 Likes

@Amethyst, @mary25, and @Ostara - thank you! :heart: :blush:

Hahaha my tummy says otherwise- I think I’ve already gotten through half of them by myself! They’re very light cookies and they go down too easily :joy:

I don’t think so, but I wouldn’t have known what it was even if I saw it haha- that is one funky flower! :astonished: :sparkles:

It’s a dream to have your own fresh bananas- that is so cool! I hope your banana plant keeps growing well and will share some wonderful fruit with you next year :blush: :banana: :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Right?! And I’ve seen some strange flowers in my life :laughing: I think this one takes the prize for being the strangest! :heart: I’m really looking forward to those fresh bananas - thank you!

5 Likes

I hope they come quickly for you- c’mon, banana plant! Make that fruit! :raised_hands: :banana: :laughing:

Enjoy them, Megan! :blush:

5 Likes

@BryWisteria Oh… those look divine! Coincidentally, I just received word that deck days in the neighborhood will be starting soon! My neighbor just had their deck finished & we were talking about it last night a little bit! :hugs: These would be perfect for the first one of the season! :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

@Susurrus Thank you, Siofra! :heart: And ohhh how exciting- it sounds like deck days season will be kicking off soon! Hope you have fun in your neighborhood :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes