Tarot Deck Review ~ Soul Cats Tarot šŸ±

Merry meet!

The lovely @starborn inspired me to get back into the tarot deck reviews I had been doing a while back. So here we go - this is a small introduction and my thoughts about the Soul Cats Tarot :cat:

Deck Review:

Soul Cats Tarot by Leeze Robertson (Art by Adam Oehlers)

I actually bought this deck as a gift for someone else who was drawn to it - but after reading through the book and flipping through the cards once, they decided they werenā€™t actually interested in it. I ā€œadoptedā€ the deck back and never got around to putting it away.

Somehow, over the many months, it has become my trusty go-to deck for readings. Hereā€™s a little bit about why, shared in the hopes of helping anyone else who is considering adding this deck to their collection.

Deck Specific: Using the Cards: Something unique about this deck is that it does not use ā€œuprightā€ and ā€œreversedā€ like most standard tarot decks do, but instead calls them ā€œguidanceā€ and ā€œprotectionā€.

Soul cats believe life needs to be viewed from multiple angles, so reversals will be given as much time and understanding as upright cards in this deck and guidebook. Upright meanings for your cards are seen as guidance; upside-down card meanings are seen as signs of protection.

Soul Cats Tarot Guidebook

Additionally, the reader is also encouraged to consider the card as a whole- the general energy and character of the card in all its forms simultaneously.

You will notice that when you flip to the card section in this guidebook, they will each contain a message was well as guidance and protection; this is for the general overall energy of your card. Think of it as a neutral position, neither up nor down; it just is, which is a pretty standard feeling for a cat.

Soul Cats Tarot Guidebook

This reminds me of the Oppositions deck, which I struggle with - Iā€™ve found that the more things the reader is expected to consider when reading a card, the harder it is to make the call on how to interpret it.

That being said, in the Soul Cats deck, this ā€œoverall energyā€ is usually a lovely little quote with some suggestions and advice. And since messages of guidance or protection follow it, it seems easier and more cohesive to read than the Oppositions deck.

In other words, finding the cardā€™s meaning in a reading feels more like feeling out the right spot in a pool of sunshine, rather than looking at a bullet point list and trying to select the ā€œrightā€ one (if that makes sense!).

Readings feel gentle, natural, and like there are no ā€œwrongā€ answers.

PROS: Thereā€™s a lot to love about this one! It comes in a big, beautiful case with a full-color guidebook that, if you ask me, would be worthy of a spot on your bookshelf on its own.

The art is beautiful in a happy, reassuring, and fun way. Although it acknowledges topics such as the cycle of life and death, heartbreak, and other harder things on the journey of life, it does so in a positive way. Overall, the cards are very gentle, but I do think I should mention that there is one card that depicts a cat who caught a mouse and there is some blood (itā€™s the Death card), which may be difficult for some.

CONS: While itā€™s not a con per se, I do want to mention again that this deck is extremely gentle. Itā€™s nuruting, caring, and supportive - which is great, if thatā€™s what you need right now.

But sometimes we as human beings really need a hard push. There are times for coddling and times where a boot to the head is what it takes to get us back on track- and this is not the deck for hard wake-up calls :sweat_smile:

Would I recommend this deck for beginners? Yes, this is a gentle and kind deck with lots of encouragement, fun pictures, and great energy.

That being said, the guidance/protection (instead of upright/reversals) is unique. As such, I would stick with that age-old advice of starting with the traditional Rider Waite deck and learning the traditional card meanings before branching into specialized decks.

The traditional meanings will help you with all other decks, but specialized meanings are meant to be used only within the specific deck. Itā€™s always a good idea in the long-term to spend time with the basics and build a solid foundation that will help you become a better and more confident reader.

As such, Iā€™d recommend this deck to beginner readers who have spent at least a little time learning the traditional meanings of tarot cards. Itā€™s a great second deck, or a good accompaniment to a basic traditional deck.

Have you used the Soul Cats Tarot or a similar deck? If not, is it something youā€™d be interested in exploring?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Blessed be :cat:

Enjoy tarot decks? Here are some additional deck reviews in the forum:

17 Likes

Iā€™ve missed these! :heart: Thank you for taking the time to review this deck. It sounds lovely! I also love the cat fabric you used in the photos! :heart_eyes_cat:

11 Likes

The deck is so pretty :heart_eyes: itā€™s a gorgeous deck and I love the front artwork. I might have to add this to my wishlist!

11 Likes

What a sweet deck. Thankyou for sharing this :green_heart:

10 Likes

Thanks so much, Bry! I love these cards!

10 Likes

Kitties :smile_cat: are on their way.

:goat:

10 Likes

What a beautiful deck. Thank you for this thorough review. :black_heart:

9 Likes

Itā€™s my pleasure! :heart: Thank you all for stopping by to take a look :smiley_cat:

If anyone feels called to the deck and decides to add it to their collection, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hahaha they are indeed! (I hope theyā€™ll be friends with your goat!) :goat: :cat2: :grin:

9 Likes

Beautiful deck of cards

10 Likes

Thank you, Devenne! :smiley_cat: :heart:

9 Likes

I absolutely love this deck! Itā€™s beautiful. Iā€™m so sorry Iā€™ve been absent yall. My birthday was yesterday so I spent the weekend and my day with my family. I love to see all the beauty and art shared in this thread!

:wilted_flower::star:

9 Likes

@marie21 Happy belated birthday :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada: hope you had a good day :balloon:

9 Likes

No need to apologize, @marie21, we all understand life gets busy- especially during those special times! I hope you had a lovely birthday full of happiness (and tasty treats!) :birthday: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yay! Iā€™m happy you like it! :smiley_cat: :paw_prints:

9 Likes