The Younger Futhark

The Younger Futhark is a shortened version of the Elder Futhark (16 Runes instead of 24) used mainly as a form of writing runic script starting in the late 8th century and being fully established by the 9th century across Europe. Although this alphabet was used more as a writing system and had a more solid phonetic system to it the Runes themselves still carried the individual meanings from the Elder Futhark.

Image Credit: Sons of Vikings

The Long branch Runes are often referred to as the Danish Runes and the Short twig Runes as the Swedish or Norwegian Runes. There is also a version of the Runes known as Staveless Runes. The use of this Rune system had all but nearly disappeared by the 12th century due to the Christianisation of Europe during that time period. By the end of the 13th century there had emerged another form of runic alphabet adopted from both of the previous Futhark alphabets that had a wider range of letters and phonetic systems making them easier to use in writing, they are usually referred to as The Medieval Runes they remained in use until the around the 15th century. Another form of Runic scripts remained in use as late as 1910 in the Dalarna Province in Sweden known as The Dalecarlian Runes.

The Younger Futhark even has its own version of a Rune Poem known as Abecedarium Nordmannicum :slight_smile:

The Runic systems donā€™t seem to been historically used for magic practices or divination, more as a means of writing stories or accounts of events in the past. I do like to try and apply them in spellwork by writing in this alphabet (as best I can with some letters missing from English in the 16 Rune versions) I do use the Elder Futhark more mind you but thatā€™s only because single Runes are easier to carve then trying to figure out how to write words with letters missing :heartpulse:

Mod Note: Edited to add link to image source. (@MeganB)

13 Likes

Very cool. I wondered why it was always called the Elder Futhark. Thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! This is a good post to learn from, Iā€™m very much a beginner with them.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Liisa!

I didnā€™t know about the staveless runes. Thatā€™s super interesting!

It says: ā€œGuĆ°njĆ³tr thĆ³ru(?) sonr had this stone erected and made the bridge in memory of his brothers ƁsbjĒ«rn and in memory of GuĆ°lafr.ā€ Source

7 Likes

You are amazing- writing with the runes is a fantastic way to learn them by heart while also coding your spellwork to keep them secret from most :star_struck: :open_book: Thanks so much for sharing the rune chart and info- itā€™s always fun to learn more about runes!

Thanks so much, @Liisa! :heart::blush:

5 Likes

Thereā€™s so much to learn with runes!!! Iā€™m glad we have you here to help!!! Iā€™m bookmarking this for my rune book. Thank you so much!!! :blush::sparkles::pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

@Amethyst that confused me also when i first started looking into them lol you are very welcome :heartpulse:

@Susurrus No problem at all lovely :heartpulse: we can all learn together :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Francisco They feel like an encoded form of the Runes themselves, donā€™t they? As if people still believed in their power but knew they couldnā€™t use them freely. Thatā€™s just a theory of mine though its not an historical look on them. And as always you are very welcome :heartpulse:

@BryWisteria It is because of the inspiration in this Coven that I have been able to learn as much as I have lately, so any gift I can give makes me happy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@christina4 I know right! Everytime I sit down to do a bit of research for a post I learn knew things about them or learn about whole other Runic systems entirely :heartpulse: You are very welcome lovely :heartpulse: glad to have you all on the journey :heartpulse:

6 Likes