šŸ› Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - All About Altars!

Living in a small apartment with my partner, space is in short demand around here! :laughing: While I do have some witchy things spread out throughout the apartment, a lot of my spellwork tends to be Kitchen Witchery done on the kitchen counter :woman_cook:

With no permanent altar, I set up a temporary sacred space for ritualwork and every few weeks when a Sabbat comes along.

Hereā€™s my small altar for Beltane celebrations: :partying_face:

Iā€™ll plan to bless some ingredients and spices in the bowl. Still have some planning to do, as I donā€™t know what Iā€™ll be serving on May 1st to celebrate! :joy:

And, as with all things in a small space, Iā€™m sure the altar will change a bit over the coming days :grin::place_of_worship:

9 Likes

Such a delight to see everyoneā€™s beautiful altars and lovely sacred spaces- thanks to everyone who has joined in so far! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Itā€™s friendly reminder time!

:exclamation: This challenge will close TOMORROW :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and havenā€™t done so already, please post about your challenge experience(s) by the deadline: Tomorrow: April 27th, 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time Zone)

Blessed be! :pray: :sparkles:

4 Likes

I love your altar! Itā€™s beautiful & so well put together!

I hope you have a great day!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, @Susurrus! Wishing the same to you- have a great one! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you :heart: your Altar is beautiful :heart: I love the white crisp background it makes all of the colour pop and gives it a look of pure energy :heart: Blessed Be :heart:

4 Likes

I love it! Itā€™s gorgeous!!

5 Likes

I agree! Theyā€™re all so beautiful :heart:

6 Likes

I would love to individually tell everyone that their altar is spectacular but I decided to just say it here! Everybodyā€™s altar is phenomenal!!! I mean it. Thank you @BryWisteria for hosting a great challenge. Iā€™m glad I could take part. Happy Pink Full Moon and Happy (early) Beltane!!!

7 Likes

Hee! Thanks, @Jeannie1! Thatā€™s my flower crown. I donā€™t do well with real flowers so I bought myself one off of Amazon. Iā€™m all ready for Saturday!

Thanks muchly! Yeah, Pookie is there keeping watch. LOL. You never know what I might get up to.

Your altar looks great too! I love the tablecloth and the bunch of lavender. And the plate for your offering is so pretty!

3 Likes

:warning: TW/Content Warning: This post mentions depression and anxiety. I wonā€™t be discussing anything too in-depth, but I just wanted to give yā€™all a headā€™s up so that you can skip over this post if the subject will cause discomfort. :warning:

I apologize for the length of this post ā€“ Iā€™ll condense it down a little bit by ā€œhidingā€ my responses to the quesitons I was pondering :sweat_smile:

This weekā€™s challenge didnā€™t go super well for me. I was hit pretty hard with my depression and anxiety symptoms, so I havenā€™t been able to do too much of anything. I was planning on finally getting a more permanent altar set up so that I could have a dedicated place to practice my spirituality that wasnā€™t the desk I use for work. Needless to say, things didnā€™t really go as planned, and I wasnā€™t able to do much in the way of setting up the altar.

On the other hand, all the extra time Iā€™ve spent in bed keeping to myself has given me lots of time to reflect on what I want my altar to be like, and what purposes I want it to serve. I reflected on my journey on my path so far, and on what I want to achieve moving forward on my path. I brainstormed quite heavily, some of which Iā€™ll share below. To me, my personal altar will be a very special, private place, so I havenā€™t yet figured out how what and how much I want to share of it.

I also wanted to thank all of you for sharing all the pictures of your beautiful altars! Theyā€™ve given me tons of inspiration and ideas for things to reflect on for my altar. :heart_eyes_cat:

Below are some of the questions I asked myself and ideas that I considered while brainstorming.

How fancy do I want my altar to be? Do I want it heavily-decorated? Or, do I want to keep it minimal?

My responses to these quesitons
  • I decided that I want my altar to be minimal. The past few years, Iā€™ve been attempting ā€“ unsuccessfully ā€“ to work on minimizing the amount of ā€œstuffā€ I have. I want to focus on the few objects that truly bring me enjoyment, both in my mundane and Magickal life.

• Iā€™m someone who sometimes gets caught up in focusing on ā€œstuffā€ rather than the intent behind the item. Having fewer items on my altar will allow me to resonate more deeply with fewer items as opposed to having a larger quantity of less-meaningful items. For me, personally, I feel like the law of supply and demand applies here: the less of something there is, the more valuable it becomes. This isnā€™t to criticize having lots of beautiful crystals and statues and candles, but rather to say that at this point in my life and path, simplicity works better for me.

• Simplicity works best for me because my mind perceives it as being more ā€œtidy.ā€ Sometimes, when Iā€™m surrounded by lots of ā€œstuffā€ I become a bit overwhelmed and my anxiety starts acting up. Keeping things simple will hopefully keep my anxiety levels lower, and when my symptoms do act up, it will be easier for me to maintain and keep clean because Iā€™ll be less likely to be as overwhelmed as if there were tons of stuff that I had to dust and keep cleansed and arranged.

What items/beliefs/deities/energies/tools/aspects of my spirituality are most important to me at this time?

My responses
  • Bast
  • Hekate
  • Nature
  • Aphrodite
  • Ancestor work
  • Positivity
  • Herbs
  • Shadow work (using tarot as a tool for analysis)

What altar items will be useful in working with the energies/etc. listed above?

My responses
  • Candles
  • Tarot cards
  • Incense/oils for invoking/evoking deities/ancestors
  • Offering bowl/plate
  • Items dedicated for offerings (non-perishable, of course)
  • Book of Shadows/grimoire/Book of Mirrors (Omnibook)
  • Items that make me think of the deities/ancestors I want to work with

This post is already pretty long, so Iā€™ll go ahead and stop here, but I just wanted to share what Iā€™ve been working on for this challenge, even if itā€™s not exactly what I was originally planning on doing! :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Wooooo!!! Love this challenge. Iā€™m adding the pink accents for the Full Pink Moon today but I wanted to get my response in before it was too late!! Didnā€™t want to miss it.

Hereā€™s my cozy sacred corner:

After seeing all of yours as well, I decided I wanted a god and goddess statue too. I have some leftover clay from another project so Iā€™m going to make them myself (maybe with some inspiration from Etsy & Google :grin:)

I just wanted to say that I donā€™t post a ton here but I do visit often and love reading everyoneā€™s updates. Iā€™m so happy to be a part of this community! Such a fantastic space to come and feel welcomed, loved, & inspired! I hope everyone has a blessed & fruitful Pink Moon Monday! :heart::cherry_blossom::full_moon_with_face:

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing. As a fellow sufferer of depression and anxiety I appreciate how difficult it can get.

But youā€™ve made great progress in identifying what you want from your altar, and thatā€™s the hardest part!

7 Likes

here is but one corner of my set up (this round table will eventually be my tarot reading table but for now itā€™s just a space that holds more stuff)
Iā€™m in the midst of creating my perfect witch cave!

11 Likes

I will be setting up a pink moon display also today!

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve been hit with depression and anxiety @Jewitch. Thatā€™s always a pain that difficult to move through. At least you know what you want to do now. Iā€™ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lovely altar spaces @Cellophaneflowr! Glad you popped up to share!

@AliceInWonderdab I love your little table! Especially the owl. Very nice!

6 Likes

I have quite the owl collection!

3 Likes

@Jewitch Im sorry to hear you havenā€™t been feeling good this week :heartpulse: I lose all productivity when my anxiety peaks as well and it can make us feel guilty but its ok not to get stuff done sometimes until we centre and find ourselves again :heartpulse: And planning is the key when it comes to getting a task done so I would say you have achieved the challenge by putting all these amazing thoughts and ideas down when you felt that way :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Cellophaneflowr @AliceInWonderdab your Altars are stunning :heart_eyes: I love seeing a little bit of each personā€™s uniqueness in each one :heartpulse:

4 Likes

To try and gather my thoughts about my progress this week Iā€™ve created a separate thread:

6 Likes

You are not alone @Jewitch I am experiencing the same issue, so I can definitely relate. I have a portable altar since I am always on the go. I however ordered a altar cloth online so I could get my new altar done for season but would not be receiving it on time to set up before this challenge is closedšŸ˜‘ however I am ok differently.

I most say all the altars are so beautiful :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and I am still happy to be able to give some sort of up date about this challenge.I however came up with a sort prayer to help me in receiving my altar cloth and witchy things safely until I am ready to decorate.

My Altar Prayer

May the things that I seek find me
In perfect love and timing,
May the witchy things am about to do
Be blessed, pure and true.

May my altar serve the purpose
In perfect love and light,
May my witchy things be delivered safe
Whether day or night.

Created by; NšŸ•ÆckWšŸ•Æck

7 Likes

This is very nice @AliceInWonderdab :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: