šŸ“› Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Names

My family is Italian & Irishā€¦ inadvertently all of my children have Irish Celtic or Gaelic names. So my mom had gotten me a framed meaning of my first sonā€™s name.

My husband, knowing this, when we selected my second sonā€™s name showed me the Irish meaning of the name he chose & we used my husbandā€™s first name as his middle name. (I forget why, but my husband didnā€™t want to have a ā€œjuniorā€, so middle name it was) Then, one day we are watching football & a player had the same first nameā€¦ & my husband made a comment about how good the player was or a favorite player of his. I looked at him wide eyed & was likeā€¦ wait you named our son off a football player that just happened to have a Celtic name & thats how you spun it to me! He looked at me & started laughing & said, " Two birds, one stone." I threw all the furniture pillows at him :rofl:

We really wanted a daughter it took quite a few years & tries & some heartbreaks. The only thing we were sure of was her middle name. Itā€™s my middle name which was my Nanaā€™s nickname (???) her first name was Helena, but she was always referred to by something else. So we went to the list of girl names & we just couldnā€™t choose. So I went through them & her first name is another Irish Celtic name :laughing: but it was also her auntā€™s first name. But! When I was early in the pregnancy, I was put on a medication to sustain the pregnancy. When that was finished, a short time later there was an issue so they did an early ultrasound. The image looked like a peanut :peanuts:, ever since then (I was aboutā€¦ 10 weeks pregnant) her nickname has beenā€¦ Peanut. We still call her that at homeā€¦ since she started junior high & is an official teenagerā€¦ all of her friends call her by her first name. She wants us to, but its been hard to transition to itā€¦ so at home 99% of the time itā€™s Peanut then there are a few others we call her. So if We say her actual first name, she knows something is amiss :rofl:

9 Likes

Congrats love, I can feel it, it is very you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
You shine that light and love all around you and inspire me to do the same too, mine is only borrowed light but yours is the real deal :wink: :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Challenge Entry

Last year I was searching for my witch name. Nothing felt right. In March or April I kept seeing Ostara everywhere. Probably because the Spring Equinox was coming up. Spring is my favorite time of year. After winter when everything looks dead the earth begins to come alive. Ostara just felt right. It reminds me of bunnies and eggs and flowers. And that my friends is how I found my witch name.

10 Likes

I meanā€¦seriously!? I think you are one of the most love-lighted people I have ever seen!! YOU too are the forumā€™s Sun & Moon! You magical you! :kissing_heart: :face_holding_back_tears: :hugs:

7 Likes

Ooooh sooo super SWEET!! :revolving_hearts: I have always loved your witchy name! And I love the story too about how you decided this one, pretty name as your magickal name!! Also, I too looove Spring! The season of flowers and colours!! :heart_eyes: :hugs:

7 Likes

Thank you @Solasta_Amore. I am going to do some research on the goddess Eostre.

7 Likes

Mine is Nyxie Rose. I have been in love with mythology since I was a child, and a YA book I read had a character based on the goddess Nyx. My nickname then became Nyxie and then that progressed to Nyxie Rose because I love roses as well.

11 Likes

What a beauty @jordy! I love the name Nyxie Rose! Also, I loove roses too! :heart_eyes: :rose:

7 Likes

@Ostara I remember that! Oh Iā€™m so glad that you are still so happy with it!

@Nyxie_Rose if you would like to change your username to your witch name we can do that for you! Just let a moderator know :smiling_face:

8 Likes

I was with (and ordained in) a goddess group which believed in the Seven Female Planetary Powers (male/female Planetary Powers are also to be found in Gnosticism. In mainstream Christianity, they are the seven archangels). The Planetary Power of Mars was known as Vikheā€™, a version of Victoriaā€¦victory. She represented the Virtues of Courage, Strength and Valor. I chose the name Valentina in her honor as the meaning of Valentina is similar to Victoria. It means strength and courage, virtues I have needed in life. Marie is my middle name.

10 Likes

Weekly witch challenge response: witch name

I chose Verde Awen Vedia. ā€œAwenā€ means inspiration and ā€œvediaā€ is the Holy Spirit of the forest. Nature is my happy place and I have been exploring and experimenting more with my green witch roots. I have a appreciation for nature and animals and always have since I was a child. When I need comfort, inspiration, calming energy, my go to is the forest. I have also always had more empathy for animals then most humans. I feel as though I have an unearthly connection to animals. Any dedication or honor I can give to our beautiful earth I do. I speak with plants when I pick them and am always sure to give thanks to the Gods and Goddesses.

I really enjoyed this challenge!!

9 Likes

Aria Wolfe. Aria I found in the letters of my name. Wolfe because I have 2 as my spirt guides. Iā€™ve used this name for many years. Nice to share w ppl that understand. Thanks

13 Likes

I would love to get it changed :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I am loving the energy coming from this challenge! Iā€™m feeling so much introspection and excitement. Itā€™s neat to read everyoneā€™s stories.

Challenge Entry

I have been playing with the idea of a magickal name for years, so this was like a call from the universe for me. I didnā€™t like my name when I was little (Melissa). I secretly wished for the name Crystal when I was about 10 years old. After graduating highschool, I used the name ā€˜Ravenā€™ in various creative spellings for everything.

After my father passed away, my birth name slowly became precious for me as he is who chose it. It means ā€˜honey beeā€™. :honeybee: The bee has been symbolic for me throughout my life. Iā€™ve been torn about choosing a magickal name due to that, worried that I was dishonoring my father and the name that had been so closely linked to me for so long.

Anyway, I had read from Raymond Buckland in ā€˜Wicca for Oneā€™ that aligning your magickal name with your life path number is best. Someone here (@BryWisteria ??) already linked an awesome website that lets you test that out. Which is SO much easier than adding it yourself over and over!

https://johncrowhurst.me/witchname/

Iā€™ve played with words I love. Bee (of course), bear, moon, lavender, rainbow, aura, Aurora, etc etc. Nothing really clicked all that much. I came up with a few fun ones that worked with that calculator after tweaking them a bitā€¦ like Twilbree (Gemini / twins + bee, changed a bit to fit my life path number). Cute, but it sounds like a Hobbit name. Not that Iā€™m obsessed with Hobbits or anything, lol. :laughing:

Suddenly a name came to me out of nowhere when I was just doing things around the house. Mellora. I played with the spelling a bit, and that spelling matches my life path. It also combines two thingsā€¦ my birth name, and the word ā€˜auroraā€™.

(The name is contested as to what it means (Melora) but it seems to mean bee + laurel, or perhaps ā€˜make betterā€™ or new beginnings.)

A bit more about the Aurora for meā€¦

When I was a toddler here in Alaska, the first time I saw the Aurora I was in awe and terrified. I thought it was ghosts. It moves like crazy and can be super bright. Itā€™s very ethereal and magical to watch! When weā€™re in the dark months, I look for them every night. I think of my father when I see them.

Alsoā€¦ I was obsessed (was?? Still am!) with the movie ā€˜Willowā€™. I saw it in the theater as a kid. I love the magic and faeries in it. And of course the wands! The name reminds me of characters from that movie.

Anyway, thatā€™s probably as close to a name as I can get. :heart:

(As I was reviewing this, I thought of adding faeries to my name. Iā€™ve always believed in them, so that would be fitting. I just played with it and on a whim went with the first spelling that came to mindā€¦ ā€˜Melora Faeā€™. It matched! Hmmm, now to consider if I want to change my name here.)

It seems that when we let go & go with the flow, thatā€™s when things reveal themselves!

13 Likes

I enjoyed that site too and also thought of some improvements, namely asking for words that resonate with you and coming up with combinations that match your life path number! So Iā€™m making just that with my shiny (now a little rusty) web dev skills from my previous life. Stay tuned~ :blush: :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

@Nyxie_Rose you are all set! I hope you love your new Witch Name! :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

Ooooh now I get it! :wink: Your name, for me, meansā€¦Melissa, you are a beautiful Aurora Faerie!! Thus, you are Melora Fae! :heart_eyes: I loooove this name too much as I myself am a Hugee Aurora or Northern Lightsā€™ Lover!! (Although I never saw one :sweat_smile:) Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of how you found your charming witchy name!! :hugs: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Wow! Aria Wolfe is a very chivalrous and stunning name! I absolutely love it! :star_struck: :sparkles:

7 Likes

@CelestiaMoon oh I love this idea! Sometimes brainstorming how to combine the words is the tricky part.

Aw I love this, thank you so much @Solasta_Amore :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

@Susurrus can I go ahead and have my name changed to Melora Fae?

I love seeing all of the names and stories in this challenge! There is so much wonderful energy circulating around this!! Itā€™s beautiful! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes