šŸ‘ƒ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - *sniff sniff* Smells Like Magick!

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one on here addicted to incense!

7 Likes

I found a recipe for Protective Oil and it just so happens that I have everything to make it. It is also called Robberā€™s Oil and it is said that grave robbers used to put it on to protect themselves when they robbed graves (pretty gross, if you ask me). All 5 of the oils are said to protect the immune system and protect against environmental threats. I purchased a infusion necklace at the lavender farm a few weeks ago. Itā€™s the Tree of Life and I will wear it to work to protect against the negative energy there. I will also use it in my oil diffuser at work.

20 drops clove essential oil
18 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops cinnamon essential oil
8 drops eucalyptus essential oil
5 drop rosemary essential oil

For the carrier oil, Iā€™m using fractionated coconut oil because thatā€™s what I have on hand at the moment. Be careful with the cinnamon oil because it burns the skin when not diluted. I found that out the hard way,

10 Likes

After some trial and error, I made my own concoction of Dragonā€™s Time. The original is meant for anyone suffering from mood swings, irritability, or PMS. I think the dragon is supposed to represent that. Well, in my experience, dragons donā€™t suffer from any of that. :laughing: So, I used a blend of a few flowers, inspired by the Dragon Goddess. By the way, my silver/white dragon statue, that will represent her, finally came in the mail, and Iā€™m over the moon, no pun intended, how beautiful it is. Itā€™s very detailed, sturdy, and the paint job is amazing!
:star_struck:

Anyway, here is my recipe for Dragonā€™s Time. Think Iā€™ll change the name to ā€œDragon Goddessā€™s Timeā€.

3 drops of Jasmine (for joy)
3 drops of Geranium (for mood stability)
2 drops of Lavender (for peace)
2 drops of Rose (for love)

11 Likes

Thank you @Kasandra I have those oils and Iā€™m going to try that! I would love to see your dragon statue. I love dragonā€™s too. I even have a drum with a dragon on it!

7 Likes

Maryā€™s Challenge: Incense properties and Sandalwood :person_in_lotus_position:

Iā€™ve said it once and Iā€™ll say it again ā€“ I find TREMENDOUS value in these challenges because I learn so much from others and I get out of my comfort zone, magickally speaking.

This was an exceptionally good opportunity for me because I have a whole bin of incense and essential oils that I rarely open. It seems when I am doing magick, I reach for herbs to burn or smudge. Well, today, I tried incense.

First of all, I realized I was doing it all wrong LOL

I couldnā€™t figure out before why the sticks I purchased burned up so quickly. The trick to the sticks, I learned, is to light them for about 30 seconds and then blow out the flame. My stick of sandalwood that I used for the challenge smoked for more than 40 minutes this way.

DOH! LOL!
ā€™
Iā€™ve also learned that itā€™s a good idea to use air cleaners or ventilate your house if you use candles or incense often as they spit out all kinds of who knows what and that just needs to get cleansed from your living space.

I spent some time researching the properties of various varieties of incense and also trying to determine their magickal correspondences. Iā€™ve been working pretty intensely on my grimoire and realized I didnā€™t have any information on that.

Today, I am focusing on Sandalwood. I always liked the smell of Sandalwood soap since I was little. My mom used to buy Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood soap. The box had a beautiful design with an elephant on it. Sadly, I donā€™t think itā€™s made anymore.

Picture from Ebay. This bar of soap is almost $20 now!

I read about Sandalwood. It has been used for thousands of years in spiritual practices and is used in Hindu, Muslim and Buddhist rituals. The ancient Egpyptians used it. The oil, used as a topical treatment, has medicinal properties. It is considred excellent for meditation. Among Pagans and witches, Sandalwood incense is believed to have magickal properties of spiritual connection, healing, protection, consecration and even repelling evil spirits.

So, I wasnā€™t sure exactly what to expect when I opened a pack of sandalwood incense I had bought ā€“ who knows when? A long time ago. 16 sticks, $3.75 at my local crystal store.

I lit the stick and began to meditate, focusing on my breath and occasionally wafting the smoke to me, for a few minutes.

This is what happened:

My shoulders relaxed. I began to feel a sense of pleasant, almost drowsy peace and wellbeing. What is remarkable about that was that I had been agitated and depressed for several days. It was like that melted away. I felt like ā€œmeā€ again ā€“ or the me I like to be.That was entirely unexpected.

Whatever is in this stuff is pretty powerful!

So, I will DEFINITELY be exploring more of the aromatic side of my magickal and self-care practice. Clearly, there are areas of discovery here for me!

9 Likes

Ditto here. Consider skipping the charcoal disc and adding a bit of soy candle which burns quite nicely. For example, save any burnt remains from a candle ritual (letā€™s say a healing ritual), then add that to a later healing incense ritual. The fat from the soy candle leads to a strong flame, but not as much smoke.
Hope this helps.

6 Likes

This is a challenge that is close to my heart!
Several months ago, I created a Protection Oil that I absolutely adore.
I blended Rosemary, cinnamon, cloves, agrimony, eupatorium, lemongrass, albizia, jasmine, and bergamot in vegetable oil stabilized by mineral oil during a positive White blessing ritual. I use it on my face, hands, chest, and back to protect against negativity and harmful psychic attacks.
I have a few others, but this is the blockbuster!

This is a great challenge!

12 Likes

@mary25 Sandalwood & I have a wonderful relationship also! I love the rope incense of Sandalwood that I haveā€¦ it smells amazing.

As many know I have been learning about energy work which has led to crystal healing & chakrasā€¦ which is the current subject that I am learning about to help with balance, grounding, & the shadow work progress I have made. Things need to be ā€œrecalibratedā€ if you will since changes & progression has been happening over the last few months.

I have learned & have been working on my root chakra. Recently I also started learning & working on my sacral chakra. Of course I have a specific set of crystals for working with my chakras & I practice guided meditations with & without visualization/breathwork.
So essential oils & incense are right up there with things I would use to help keep them running as smooth as possible. I also use candles & of course the crystals were already mentioned.

I have 9 10 ml rollerbottles. 1 for each of the 7 main chakras, I will use 1 for my Earth Star & 1 for my Soul Star once I make it that far. Right now we are going 1 chakra at a time :grin:

So for the:

Root Chakra, I will be using a red 10 ml roller bottle, a dropper, Sandalwood essential oil, & Grapeseed oil for the carrier oil. (Sandalwood, Myrrh, Vetiver, Patchouli, & Spikenard all work with this chakra)

Sacral Chakra, I will be using an orange 10 ml roller bottle, a dropper, Ylang Ylang essential oil, & Grapeseed oil for the carrier. (Ylang ylang, Lemon :lemon: , Patchouli, Rosewood, & Sandalwood all work with this chakra)

So the way to work with these essential oil rollerbottles & their corresponding chakras is actually very easy.

1. Place use the roller bottle to anoint your chakra area (due to the sensitive nature of where the root chakra would be, using it on the lower areas of your hips is a better idea), the area for the sacral chakra would be roughly 2 inches below the navel, your pelvic bowl, lower belly area.

2. Rub the oil between your hands & inhale the scent of the oil from the palms of your hands. Then for the root chakra, place your hands with palms open over your pubic bone allowing the energy oils to sink into the area or place both hands at the lower aspects of your hips.

3. Diffuse the essential oil as recommended for your diffuser

• :warning: please use incense &/or essential oils in a well ventialted area with a way to leave the room should the smell bother pets or others in the room or have any other adverse reactions to humans, pets, or loved ones.

• the window behind the head of my bed is always open 3 inches from the bottom. When I am home & my dogs are with me while I am using incense or oils, I open the front window halfway & turn the oscillating fan on low in front of it with my bedroom door open, if it is shutā€¦ once they make their way toward the door, I let them out of the room & then shut the door behind them.
    • We have made it to the time of year where we can leave multiple windows open through the overnight & not freeze to death or meltā€¦ which also means no heat or air conditioning using energy :smiling_face:
      • the cross breeze is delightful

So because Iā€™m pretty sure I went about this the hard way :laughing: I found out that there are 200 drops in 10 ml. of those 200 at the least there should be 20 drops of essential oil through 30 drops of essential oil so you can use it on your skin.

:warning: Less Essential oil &/or maybe a different carrier oil such as jojoba or coconut if you have any skin issues or sensitivities. I personally use grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil

At first, I had sandalwood in both of my diffusers (bedroom aka: sacred space & living room which is open to the kitchen. I have since added ylang ylang to the sandalwood in the diffusers. For a general all day positivity throughout the house.)

:boom: Side Note the following paragraphs are about work that I am doing with myself, family, therapist, psychiatrist, & with my spirituality. My practice is definitely my own & my healing is going to look different than someone elseā€™s.

I am still working on daily living & changes or wrenches that come my way, whether large or small, one at a time or more than one or two at a time. I have to be able to navigate throughout the day without completely falling apart. So far I am good if there are no or the minimal or minimal changes & working on everyday changes with the occasional large change.

(It sounds like a lot of work & it is honestly, but I finish what I start & the end goal is a mother for my children that I never had & to the best of my ability. Mistakes & all. Babysteps :footprints: are necessary as are stumbles & backsliding. So Iā€™m using multiple modalities to compliment each other & become stronger 1 day at a time. Each stumble or backslide, is a little easier to manage because not only do I know, but my husband knows what works & what doesnā€™t & how to let others know what I need or what to try when he canā€™t be home)

11 Likes

Nope! Iā€™m an incense junkie. LOL!

9 Likes

My Sniffy Challenge isā€¦ :sun: Sun Goddess Perfume :sunny:

I used a substitute for the lemon oil, I used May Chang which smells like lemon sherbert :lemon: Everything else is as written.

It smells :nose: very good. I will charge it in the sun as soon as we have sun again :cloud_with_rain: :wink: Also, I ordered some amber color glass spray bottles but they have not arrived yet. Iā€™m excited to be able to spray it around and on me :blossom: :lemon:
:butterfly:

10 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

So many amazing scents explored this week- goodness, I wish that downloading smells was a thing! :joy: If it was, how wonderful the forum will smell right now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you all so much for sharing your exploration of magickal smells this week!

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : This post will remain open for continued discussion for a few more days, but no additional prizes will be given after today.

Blessed be! :nose::sparkles:

6 Likes

@Silverbear You have quite the collection of sprays and oils, and I have no doubt that every single one of them smells amazing! Your masterpieces could never come close to spamming- each one is a blessing! Thank you so much for sharing them :heart:

@Satu_TheGreenWitch Iā€™m drooling reading your post, Satu- 100% agreed! Homey kitchen smells are some of the most welcoming and relaxing scents in the world. Food carries love, and that strong emotion spreads all over the house through its smell :drooling_face: :two_hearts: Youā€™ve got such a lovely collection (and hello Paisley! :wave:)- everything is such a delight to see!

@Jessica72 Herbal dream bags absolutely count! :raised_hands: And yes, kids have a way of seeing right through to the heart of things- the little one is so sweet for checking on you :heart: And what a fantastic idea to make dream bags together! :heart_eyes: It sounds like it was not only a fun crafting time with the kids, but a great learning experience too. I bet that dream bag meant the world to the little girl suffering from nightmares- you really go the extra mile for those kids, Jessica! They are so very blessed to have you :blush:

@Christina4 You are always welcome in the challenges, Christina :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I know things have been challenging for you lately, and Iā€™m so glad that youā€™ve found such a respite in your meditations and oil diffuser! And such a gorgeous oil diffuser too- love that wolf design :wolf: A good smell can do wonders for a meditating mind and body :person_in_lotus_position: :two_hearts: May you continue to enjoy your smell-tastic meditations! :grinning:

@Martje Congrats on your Florida waters and Aura Sprays- it sounds like you are a master of crafting magickal scented waters, Martje! :blush: Thank you so much for sharing the process you used, as well as what scents you choose- you used some really wonderful ones! I really enjoyed your wisdom on Mullein too- Iā€™ll have to keep an eye out for it, it sounds very useful in self-care spellwork :heart: Beautiful work- thank you so much for sharing!

@Phoenix_Fire Iā€™m sorry to hear youā€™re not feeling well, but thatā€™s good news that the test was negative! Please get lots of rest and continue to take good care of yourself as you heal :pray: You did some amazing work with your incense and many magickal scents, as well as the work you do with deities. May all the divine beings you work with continue to watch over and smile down upon you- I hope they help you feel much better soon! :two_hearts:

@Ostara You know what they say about great minds, Ostara! :wink: It seems it was truly the right week to dive into scent magick- your jasmine sounds amazing! :star_struck: Congrats on the lovely oil you made, it sounds like it blossomed beautifully into a really lovely blend :blush: I hope whatever caused your week to go dark has passed and that you are feeling better soon- sending big hugs your way! :people_hugging:

And thank you so much for the protective oil recipe! :pray: I much prefer the title you gave it- I can tell this oil will be put to much better uses in your hands than it was used for in the past :sweat_smile: Enjoy it!

@Marsha Learning about the ā€œClairsā€ was fascinating- from the list, the only word I would have recognized is clairvoyance. I feel like a new door has opened up, how exciting to learn about these abilities! :star_struck: It sounds like your talents and magickal abilities were shared amongst your kids, Marsha, what a gift to have :blush: Thank you (and your son!) for digging into clairalience, it really is a blessing to learn about! :pray:

@Mistella I know you said you were ā€œwinging itā€, but gosh, Mistella- those blends sound professional! Youā€™ve got quick the knack (or a nose with a knack :wink:) for beautiful scent crafting :clap: And how thoughtful of you to make a blend for those in the Therapy Department- Iā€™m sure they appreciated such a soothing scent :two_hearts: Sounds like a big success all around- and you got your momā€™s approval too! Really great work :trophy:

@Jeannie1 Congrats on the upcoming move, Jeannie- I wish you all the best with it! :raised_hands: And sorry to hear about your husbandā€™s relapse. He is very blessed to have you and your loving support- Iā€™m sending positive thoughts your way :heart: May the pinecones, jasmine, and Hecateā€™s blessing help to heal and bless you and your husband :pray: So mote it be!

@Torista 5 gallons of perfume is a lot of perfume! :laughing: I mean, thatā€™s awesome if it turns out to be a great scent, but I think youā€™re very wise to start off with small batches just in case. It looks like you really dug into your research and found some amazing (and ancient!) methods for crafting. Thank you so much for sharing (and also for that lovely opening scene- it really pulled me into the experience and tied the scent with a situation) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Amethyst There are certainly worse things than incense to be addicted to, my friend! :laughing: What you said makes me wonder if thereā€™s a monthly subscription box for incenses out there? If so, sounds like something you might enjoy! :blush:

Lovely chant and such a gorgeous collection of incense- so many fun choices! :heart: Thanks so much for sharing!

@Kasandra Congrats on both the arrival of your statue and your batch of Dragon Goddessā€™ Time! :partying_face: I love the flowery scents you choose- Iā€™m sure it will be a wonderful scent to welcome your statue to its loving new home :dragon_face: Beautiful work, Kasandra!

@Mary25 I have to say it again too- it makes me so happy to hear that you find the challenges helpful in your practice, Mary! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™m always really proud of you for trying new things and not being afraid to experiment with your magick- and your talents always bloom so wonderfully! :hibiscus: :sparkles: Just as they did here, it sounds like you have made leaps and bounds with your incense practice! Thatā€™s amazing that you were able to have such a reassuring and relaxing meditation with your incense :blush: Great work and congrats to you- may you continue to enjoy your scent magick exploration!

@Wysteria_Norn Ohhhh I am loving the scents you choose for your protection oil- goodness, that must smell like paradise! :drooling_face: :two_hearts: Thank you so much for sharing about your protection oil, it sounds like a very powerful protector! May it continue to keep you safe :pray::blush:

@Susurrus It is really fascinating to walk through the Root and Sacral Chakras and the smells youā€™ve blended for each of them- I learned a lot from your entry! :star2: Beautiful work and lovely ritual too. Youā€™re doing amazing getting through the day to day- I know some days are harder than others, but youā€™re a real trooper for getting through everything on your plate. Youā€™re doing amazing, Siofra- huge props to you! :heart:

@Sarafeena_Sage ā€œSniffy Challengeā€ I love it :joy::+1: And hooray for Sun Goddess perfume! :sun_with_face: Ohhhh your blend is going to look amazing in the amber bottles, what a great vessel for the oil. Beautiful work- may your perfume serve you well and bless you with the warmth of the sun!

The Props and Presents post for this challenge is now LIVE and badges have been awarded to everyone who shared an entry :trophy:

Thank you all once again for joining in and embracing some wonderfully smelly magick! :laughing: I was practically drooling while reading the recipes- there are some very talented smell-blenders in the coven. Great job to all! :star2:

12 Likes

Greetings

Wasnā€™t sure what I was going to do for this challlenge since I already have many oils.

I decided to make a protecting pot of herbs (potpourri))

I boiled a combination of bay leaves, cinnamon and black pepper

I also boiled sage and cinnamon

Both mixtures have my home a pleasant scent, the environment was peaceful and everyone was very happy.

I will be doing this early in the AM while itā€™s cool out since the weather is warm here in PA now.

10 Likes

OOh, that would be nice to have! Iā€™d love a box subscription for stick incense! Glad you liked my little chant and my collection!

7 Likes

@MsQ Your protective potpourri sounds like a really wonderful blend- maybe Iā€™m biased, but I think anything with cinnamon smells delicious, like a warm and welcoming autumn afternoon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It sounds like it was quite popular with everyone too! :heart:

Even though the challenge has ended, I really appreciate you taking the time to share- beautiful work with your scent magick! May your talent for popurri blends continue to bring joy (and so many good smells!) to you and your home :house: :two_hearts: Great job!

@Amethyst I wonder if there really is a monthly incense subscription box- sometimes I feel like there are monthly boxes for just about everything! Clothes, soaps, witchy goods, bras, you name and it seems like you can subscribe to it :laughing: :+1: :package:

I loved it- like always you do such a good job, I really enjoy reading the pieces you write! :heart: Thanks again, Amethyst!

6 Likes

There are subscription boxes! But I already have plenty. Iā€™m trying to not buy any more after I get me some good Egyptian Jasmin that is. LOL!

Thanks for the kind words, my friend!

5 Likes

Thank you for your blessings, Travel Witch

even if I implement one incense or correspondence I feel better that I worked with an energy!
I felt more positive after I think about the things that they can assist me spiritually!
Jeannie

6 Likes

@Amethyst I hope you can get your hands on the perfect Egyptian Jasmine incense- good luck and happy incense shopping! :heart::shopping: :blush:

@Jeannie1 Thatā€™s awesome! May the positivity continue to flow for you, Jeannie- many blessings! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sparkles:

6 Likes

I found some bayberry too! So yeah, Amazon is feeding my habit. LOL!

6 Likes

Hello Ms Q I have been wanting to get a huge combination myself of different herbs and spices ! I love this technique for us witches, I see you boiled sage, great way to clear the air and cinnamon! I bet it smells wonderful!
Jeannie

7 Likes