:pentagram: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Symbols & Sigils

Now this is right up my alley. I have MANY sigils that I use in daily life. Two since before I even was old enough to know what they were. At about 2 months old I was gifted a cornicello which is an Italian talisman or sigil to protect you from the malocchio. If you ever see someone wearing something that looks like a chili pepper, it’s usually a cornicello. I also have a cimaruta sigil that goes with me everywhere.

I also wear multiple bracelets or have malocchios hanging around my home.

I also use Brigid’s sigil, this is actually on one of my altar boxes.
sigil brigid

Archangel Uriel’s sigil, also on altar box.
sigil uriel

Finally my personal sigil. “I am safe and protected”
sigil personal

27 Likes

@Susurrus So many possibilities! Haha I’m sure whatever you choose will be wonderful- I hope you have fun with it, Siofra! :blush:

@Kasandra It sounds like Veaug’s and Tysteal’s sigils/symbols are making themselves clearer over time- perhaps they are particularly complex, or require a high level of focus in order to visualize them? Either way, it sounds like you are well on your way to being able to see them! Good luck, Kasandra! And thanks again for such an awesome challenge theme! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Rachel21 I’m so glad the theme calls to you, Rachel- I hope you have a fun time exploring symbols and sigils! :sparkles:

@BrightBear Awww sorry to distract you, BrightBear- may the paperwork fly by easy peasy, I hope you are able to find some free time this week! Good luck- cheering you on as you work :grinning:

@Jem1 Hooray! I’m excited to see what you come up with, Jem- have fun! :raised_hands:

@TheMuslimWitch Congrats to you on designing your own sigils- that’s really cool! I love the idea of hanging the protective sigil above the door. It’s a great way to block out negativity and defend the home :house: :shield: :blush:

@Debra2 You’re very welcome, Debra- I’m glad you like the theme this week! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Jessica72 Awesome! :heart_eyes: Oh my goodness, Jessica, your sigil is amazing- and I don’t what you’re talking about about not being able to draw? That’s a masterpiece in my book- I love the swirls and textures you’ve got. You’ve crafted yourself a gorgeous sigil! Congrats to you! :clap::heart:

@Amethyst No worries, Amethyst! A sigil/symbol can be written text as well- after all, letters are simply images and words are patterns! You have such a talent for languages and writing, I’m sure you can come with a lovely way to explore symbols :blush: Good luck and have fun!

@Jeannie1 I’m so glad you like the theme, Jeannie- yes! Sigils/symbols are cool because they are so highly customizable- you can make it however you want to, to represent anything you need :sun_with_face: Good luck and have fun!

@flowing I love the technique you used, Flowing- and wow! :star_struck: Both of your sigils are stunning. As my eyes follow the lines, I can feel the power you’ve written into them. Beautiful work and thanks again for sharing the technique you used! :clap:

@WisconsinWitch I can tell that sigils and symbols are an important part of your practice- you use them in so many creative ways! :heart_eyes: The sigils you’ve inscribed on your altar box are all works of art- they are so lovely to see! And I love the meaning of your own personal sigil, what a great message to carry :blush: Thank you so much for sharing!

21 Likes

I think I may try to stretch and draw something. I need to watch a couple of vids and get me an idea. We’ll see! LOL. But thanks for the good idea.

16 Likes

Part of my “homework” from my therapist is to use all of my senses & make note of what makes me smile or feel happy & be in the moment then journal about them later. This week she added to that basically when I’m journaling using questions that I think of to journal about from my day. Also to include at least 1 meditation a day.

It just so happens that doing witchy things makes me happy so I already have a template going for my challenge entry. Plus with a schedule change, there is the same opportunity to do witchy :triskele: things while the stuff going on in the rest of the house can die down some & I can go back to the living room feeling more grounded & centered :woman_in_lotus_position: instead of almost panicky from the anxiety of both my husband & son coming home at the same time :grimacing: & the 2 dogs going nuts while they try to get through the door which leads to my son playing with them & then the 2 of them walking around the house discussing the day’s events until all of my sons pent up energy is released to my husband. I can go to my sacred space & do :pentacle_tarot: witchy workings while all of that is happening.

That would have been great information for last week’s challenge :joy: & possibly TMI, but family is sometimes your coven that you connect with over transformation throughout your life. :heart: :infinite_roots:

19 Likes

This is a great challenge! I recently created a tattoo for my son, using runes. He asked for specific items to help him as he navigates the world.

These are symbols for Health, Creativity, Intuition, Protection, and Courage. After drawing and setting my intent :magic_wand: , I did one final cast :wand_tarot: on the paper prior to mailing it to him. It was my hope the tattoo artist would utilize the paper for a transfer sheet to my son, but unfortunately he used a copy machine. Although this happened, I know that all I placed into the work was transferred to him and his body :triquetra:. Now, if only I can figure out a symbol or spell to cast, to help him with his anxiety and get him moving forward to his goals. Any suggestions?

Here is the final product:

Blessed Be!

Athena

28 Likes

Awesome bindrune for this challenge @Athena! I am going to make my first bindrune as part of the challenge. I haven’t decided on which ones except that I want to use 3 runes.

Our (Group Ritual - Feb 24) Anti AnxieTea :relieved: is about that topic we also have some spells regarding anxiety as well on the site & in the forum

18 Likes

Thank you, @Susurrus! I will be looking at that over the next couple of days!

I appreciate your help!

14 Likes

No problem! :smiling_face: If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! :infinite_roots:

14 Likes

Beautiful runes!

14 Likes

Where to begin when it comes so sigils and symbols. While I cannot share them I have a number of Sigils drawn around my home. From the windows and doors to the basement and attic. Some are wards to prevent evil spirits and the like while others are used to protect the home and those inside from negative energies. I have a sigil of prosperity on my home as well for all those inside to prosper in their lives. and finally, a sigil of health to protect us from illness,

I make a special herb filled holy moonwater that I make to use for this and other purposes.

Sigils are for me used rather often in many ways as I stated above or during some ceremonial and spell uses.

20 Likes

I tried over and over to make a sigil, but the only things I came up with looked like a Salvador Dally reject. Perhaps sigils aren’t for me. One of my favorite symbols, of course, is the pentagram and my favorite of them is one I’ve worn off and off for 30 years.

This is my first sigil, it’s supposed to mean mental clarity through the eye of Horus

29 Likes

Sigils don’t have to be perfect. Sigils can be like signatures as they can be unique.

17 Likes

@Garnet that is a beautiful piece. I have a silver pentagram :pentagram: that is my favorite on a silver chain. I will have to get a picture of it to share but it shares some of this style, so I think you would like it too.

@flowing is also correct, they don’t have to be works of art, they are meant to be unique to the user & their intentions.

Did you try the Sigil Creator from Spells8?

16 Likes

For this week’s challenge, I decided to get out of my comfort zone a little bit with sigil creation. I’ve never used a template like the one that was linked [the Key of Sigils from the ODO] so that’s what I went with!

We discovered last night that one of our snakes is beginning to get scale rot. It’s a bacterial infection that can be caused by many different things. We discovered it early so there’s plenty of time to treat him. However, I also wanted to add a bit of magic to the mix. I created a sigil for him (his name is Mimikyu lol yes, like the Pokémon) and the sigil is going on the outside of his tank.

We’ll begin treating him today and hopefully he gets better quickly!

23 Likes

Don’t belittle that sigil - it is fantastic!
It has value and true Sigil-nificance! lol

12 Likes

I decide to use this challenge as an excuse to make a traditional sigil out of my name. I have a few I use for a variety of uses. But those are for another time.

18 Likes

Oh. My. Goddess.

I have been slacking lately on the challenges as I’ve been in a bit of a rut. Maybe a bit depressed.

But I was reading the challenge with the hopes of maybe getting back on track and then I saw… RUNES. Bam, I’m in!

I know I would like to learn more about them but this might also spur me to finish making my bronze runes set.

Thank you for putting together this challenge!

Kat

16 Likes

In an effort to keep myself accountable, I did manage to roll out bronze clay for the 14 more runes left in my set. A first pass at carving the sigils was made and I’ll wait until tomorrow to finish the carving and fire them in the kiln on Monday. I’m excited to finally have my persona rune set completed. In the meantime, I am hoping to look into making my own sigil as well.

My patterns in my sketchbook

The new runes still damp but carved waiting to be dried before I file off excess and carve more details.

The ones I’ve already carved, fired, and polished.

All of the runes

20 Likes

They look awesome :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Challenge Entry

I decided to do 1 this for my entry rather than all the ideas that came to mind :thinking: :rofl: (Queen Overthinker :person_with_crown: :face_with_monocle: )

I cleansed my altar space & the :nazar_amulet: Evil Eye items in that space with sage :herb:. I asked Brighid & the Morrigan to assist with my ritual.

Now I an wearing the necklace & cleansed the one I took off. Also, with sage :herb: & the hanging glass 1 :nazar_amulet: is hanging from the top of my mirror :mirror: until I can hang it on the window :window: behind my bed.

19 Likes