What flower is this?

I tried doing some picture searches but nothing shows up, i really want to know what these are because i might put them in my garden if they are harmless

9 Likes

I put it into my plantsnap app and it says it’s a blue lettuce, I dug a little further online and the photos look similar.
Blue Lettuce
Hope this helps :heart:

8 Likes

@Liisa I did the same thing & it says:

I did see Blue Lettuce under “see similar flowers” & Blue Lettuce is there… so maybe another name for the flower? Or the same family?

I just thought it was funny :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Oh I have those near my fencing. They’re so pretty :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I need to get :thinking: myself a flower or plant app, think that would be a good idea. Been seeing a few strange flowers myself that catches my interest but dont know much about :woman_shrugging:t2: what app do you guys recommend??

8 Likes

@NickWick you can use Google Lens or iNaturalist are the 2 that I use to identify plants that I find.

9 Likes

Ohhh, I forgot all about google lens :smirk: but I will try out iNaturalist. Thank you @Susurrus, for this information.

8 Likes

You’re welcome. Honestly I had forgotten about it too until my daughter mentioned using it when I was going through the backyard. :rofl:

8 Likes

@NickWick I use one called plantsnap and it been accurate with most of the plants IV used it on but not always, I might have a look at the others ones see what they re like :grin:
@Susurrus there are so many species of flower that have similarities I feel like I’ll never know them all lol :heart:

7 Likes

Thank you so much @Liisa I will check this one out. Thank you! :grin:

6 Likes

According to Wikipedia, they are not the same species but they are in the same family: Asteraceae.

@summer2 It looks like the flowers are very similar in both plants. You may have to look at the leaves to make sure which one it is.

The leaves of the Chicory plant are narrow and can be dandelion like, while the leaves of the Blue Lettuce plant are wider and 3 to 12 inches long.

Here’s some more information:

The Chicory flower is nearly 1.5 inches. The Blue Lettuce flower is a good bit less than 1 inch. The Chicory flowers grow in groups of 1 to 3, while the Blue Lettuce flowers grow in clusters of 15 to 34. The Chicory plant grows from 1 to 4 feet tall. The Blue Lettuce plant will grow to be from 2 to 7 feet tall. - Source

7 Likes

Thank you for that information!

6 Likes