What is chaos magick?

Hi from Phoenix Arizona!
My name is Red, and I am an eclectic chaos witch! While I personally believe that chaos magick has been around for a lot longer than it’s claimed to, (I believe chaos magick has been used for hundreds of years as the law of attraction in action) it is still a fairly new concept and practice in the witchcraft world. What is chaos magick? Well, the simple answer is, chaos magick is a practice of magick that gets rid of rigid rules, beliefs and ways of practice, and allows the witch to practice successful magick in a way that makes sense to them. I 100% respect and admire old magick, or magick of my ancestors and the ancestors of my fellow witches, that DOES conform to specific belief systems, practices and rules. There is beauty in all magick, as long as it is not harmful. While a witch who follows a specific denomination of witchcraft may require very specific items or tools in order to perform magick successfully, a chaos witch only needs themselves. Now, that does not make either of these forms of practice better than the other! It also does not mean that one witch is more powerful than the other. The reason that a witch who follows a specific denomination might not be successful in practicing magick the way that a chaos witch does, is merely
Because of their belief. A witch who truly believes that they must follow specific laws to create magick, must do so that way because the belief and intent of the witch is the most important aspect. A chaos witch can cast a spell with just their mind, because they truly believe that they can! This is the simple concept of chaos magick. It is said that the green candle is best for money magick, but a chaos witch may use gold birthday candles and be just as successful because they truly believe that those candles represent money to them! And that is the simple explanation of chaos magick! Any other chaos witches here?

17 Likes

Thank you so much for this! After reading your description, yes! I am a chaos witch! Woohoo!!! Im also a broom closet witch, slowly creeping out the door, so have a hard time getting supplies and having a permanent altar so have been casting spells with just my mind whatever I may have handy!

14 Likes

YESSS! Chaos magick was born for just that reason! Not all witches can use tools or perform spells and rituals the way other witches can. How sad would it be if those witches who cannot conform to practicing magick with specific tools, were just doomed to a life with no magick? Nope! We can all perform magick! I sometimes imagine my altar in my mind and perform the spell by acting it out in my head! I do have an altar and I also use tools! But I don’t actually need them! They are merely an extension of my own power :pray:t3: My matron is Hekate. I recently started worshipping her after an incredible experience I had with her. So I will forever be loyal to the dark goddess of crossroads and much much more! I will start a discussion on the experience I had that started my journey with Hekate.

15 Likes

Beautiful altar! I’m hoping by spring I will be fully out of the broom closet. I do have a few crystals and I have my tarot cards, pendulum and oracle cards. But other than books for study and learning new areas of witchcraft that is all I have. I also put a jar out and collected rain water on the day of a full moon, then left the jar out in the full moon.

My matron is Athena. She came to me in a dream and said she would guide me in my divination. So since then I have kept her close to me.

15 Likes

Athena is such a wonderful Goddess!
While I know you must be anxiously awaiting the day you can finally step out of the broom closet, I urge you to love and welcome this part of your journey as something that must occur in order to help you become the powerful witch you are meant to be! There is beauty in where you are in your practice right now, because it forces you to be creative in your practice and take the time to study and learn! That is exactly how I became the witch that I am today! I still have so much learning and growing to do, that is the forever way of the humble witch, but I know that I would not be the witch that I am today without my broom closet days 🩵

14 Likes

I’m a chaos witch, by nature and design :grin:. My patron is the god of chaos himself, Loki. Though I follow some of the Norse heathen traditions (Yule mainly and never upset old one eye, Odin :partying_face:) I mix and match what is needed for the moment, tapping into the energy around me, the rocks in my garden, whatevers there (I tend to use white candles mostly, black if something special) and Loki does the rest. Being a fire deity I use candles alot so fire and chaos, well we have fun :rofl:. I also work with daemons who are fabulous with chaos Magick, but can also bring a sense of calm, when the energy becomes too intense. We have quite a few chaos/eclectic witches here. :partying_face:

@Mystique Sending love and support. :sparkling_heart:

14 Likes

Yayyy, hi! :wave:t3:
I am an Aries, a fire sign, so I also use candles A LOT for magick and even just because I love to burn them :woman_shrugging:t2: I am super interested in Loki, but have not yet taken the time to learn About him, which I maybe should, given his innate chaotic nature. I may benefit from learning more about him and even implementing his archetype in practice :smiling_face: I would love to pick your brain on this subject!

14 Likes

@Wandering_free I adore the beastie :green_heart: (my nickname for Loki) and had amazing journeys with getting to know him and finally making an oath with him (fulltrui). If you’re interested here’s the links to some of the stuff I’ve written and other information on the beastie :grin:
Loki to invite in or no? :warning: Alcohol is mentioned in this post
Gods and Technology (Warning: :warning: Sensitive Topics Included! Near Death Experience)
Fulltrui or not to Fulltrui
:triple_moon_goddess: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Deities & Deity Worship (post 8)
Loki’s Tales

If you want a book list let me know. He’s wonderful to work with, and very real. If you start showing an interest, he can get very enthusiastic and become active in your life (as in supernatural things happen :rofl: ). But he’s not like the Disney version. He’s loyal, protective, fun, and an amazing guide and tutor. He is also mischievous, unauthodoxed, sometimes a little daunting and does push all your buttons and challenge you. If you thrive in chaos, you’ll thrive in his energy ( but it can be exhausting :person_facepalming: sometimes). I love him, and will gladly promote him :partying_face:

15 Likes

I’ve found a good book on Chaos Magick that I’m currently working through. He’s chilled, down to earth, no fuss writer (very chaos).

It’s:
The Master Works of Chaos Magick
(Practical techniques for directing your reality)
By Adam Blackthorne

Here’s the contents list:

15 Likes

You just absolutely blew my mind. :exploding_head:

And the example is hilarious because I used my gold birthday candles for exactly that a while ago. :laughing:

100% chaos witch here. :raised_hands:

Thank you for welcoming me to the chaos club. :partying_face: :black_heart:

14 Likes

The Chaos Club. Love it :partying_face:

13 Likes

I haven’t labeled what type of witch I am, but based on your description I think I am! Although I’ve thought I might be an eclectic witch. I’m not exactly sure what the definition is of eclectic witch is.

12 Likes

We can be eclectic and chaotic, I think. Eclectic just means we take things from everywhere – no one main path. :black_heart:

Edit: Wow, my phone thinks I’m electric… :laughing:

13 Likes

I would love a book list! I just pulled out a book I have called “The Witche’s God” and started reading about
Loki out of curiosity, and he seems to be a very human like God, and I appreciate and love that! He is relatable! But yes, please I would really appreciate a book list :heart:

13 Likes

Ooooo yes!!! That absolutely looks like something I would love to read. Thank you!

13 Likes

@Wandering_free Here’s my favourites

And a lovely little prayer/poetry book:
Unbinding The Trickster by Gralok Loptsson.

I’ve got a copy of The Witches God too. Good book. :sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

Eclectic witch is a witch that pulls beliefs and practices from many different paths of the craft, while chaos witches believe that they truly do not need any specific beliefs or practices! This is why I consider myself an eclectic chaos witch, because if I NEVER actually practiced magick and didn’t have any beliefs at all, then am I really a witch? Well, in my own perspective, I would not be, but another witch who is strictly a chaos magick practitioner, may believe otherwise, and that is perfectly ok, remember it’s about your belief 🩵
So, I still study many paths of witchcraft and practice magick many different ways, I just don’t restrict myself from performing any type of magick for the sole reason that the rules and regulations are too rigid…I will take all of those out and figure out how it works for me.

11 Likes

Interesting. I think I must be a Lokean/chaos/demon witch :rofl: cuz craft wise, I just do what’s what on the day, in the moment very chaos, belief wise definitely Lokean with a touch of the demonic. Hahaha what a mess lol. Very chaos :partying_face::green_heart:

10 Likes

Haha :joy: you are making me LOL over here!

9 Likes

@Wandering_free your description is very helpful! It seems as I would be an eclectic chaos witch. I just do what feels right at the time. I do follow some beliefs and practices, but it’s based on my needs at the time. If that makes any sense :crazy_face::rofl::blush:

10 Likes