What witchy shows do you like?

Ohhhh Hocus Pocus :kissing_closed_eyes: :ok_hand: The I Put a Spell on You song was actually on a TV show here in Poland the other night (where a famous actress dressed up like Bette Midler and performed the song) and then it was stuck in my head for like 3 days :joy:

I wrote a post about The Owl House a while back, and itā€™s actually in a new season! Super cute little witchy show :mage: :owl:

And yes, @LadyDennaRahl, The Addams Family is a true Halloween classic- I try to watch it every year :grinning: And The Witcher, yes! Thereā€™s going to be a fourth game coming soon and I cannot wait :wink: :crossed_swords:

Another vote from me for Harry Potter- I love the magickal world in the series, especially the first couple books (before things got so dark later on) :magic_wand:

Ohhhh it is so much fun hearing about all these witchy shows! :heart: Thank you @Nikita-mikaelson for such a fun discussion! :raised_hands:

6 Likes

Ohh, Vampire Diaries is good show, too :vampire: The spin-off shows The Originals and Legacies are pretty good, too.

I forgot about Witches of Eastwick! I think we quit watching it because there were someā€¦ questionable things in it and my daughter was wanting to watch it with us lol Merlin was good though! I loved that show!

Thatā€™s the only one that came to my mind when you mentioned three kids :laughing: I donā€™t know if there are any others out there with three kids in it besides maybe Hocus Pocus?

That episode was soo sad! :cry: Iā€™ve seen all the Charmed episodes I donā€™t know how many times lol

This was a good one! I didnā€™t like the ending, though :thinking: thereā€™s was something about Sabrina [spoilers blurred!] being used as a martyr and her being heralded as ā€œthe good guyā€ when she was actually just really selfish in the entire last half of the show lol

Thatā€™s true! Some of those episodes were good starting points for me to further research different beings and stories!

Yess!! Iā€™m so happy you finally had time to watch it! Now you just need to read the book :laughing: I mean, so do I but still. Iā€™ve watched Motherland: Fort Salem but I think thatā€™s different than Salemā€¦I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve watched it though. Iā€™d have to go back and look to refresh my memory.

I keep seeing this come up in my recommended! Maybe Iā€™ll have time to sit down and watch it one day :laughing: I loved Harry Potter but I canā€™t bring myself to watch any of them anymore, nor any of the new stuff. I almost forgot about The Witcher, though! That one is really good, too.

I still havenā€™t sat down to watch this yet! Iā€™m adding it to my list of shows to watch :laughing: now, I canā€™t say when Iā€™ll be able to watch them but at least I have a list? lol

8 Likes

Oh, I wish I knew about the book first, but itā€™s definitely going on the list of reads.

I personally despise Hocus Pocus, but Halloweentown we did watch so Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what it is. I also remember Darby Oā€™Gill & the Little People (1950s), Escape to Witch Mountain & Return from Witch Mountain (1970s), Bedknobs & Broomsticks (1970s). And then the animated movies that had anything to do with mythology - Mermaids, Atlantis, Wizards, Fairies.

I also remember when my boys were younger there was a show called Wizards of Waverly Place & my daughter was really into Descendants (all 3) which had a lot to do with the children of Disney Villains & what they were able to do or be good at from their parents who were witches, wizards, thievesā€¦ they were villains soā€¦ but Hades is Maleficentā€™s exā€¦ their daughter is Mal in the movie. Iā€™ve always been fascinated with how Disney takes mythology & sort of brings it to life in a sense.

My oldest son has the Harry Potter box set, he was really into those movies & we would watch the marathons when they were on TV.

6 Likes

Ohh yes!! I watched this with my grandma! I remember trying to get my daughter interested in it and all I got was mom, that sounds weird and that was it :laughing:

6 Likes

Yeah, my kids didnā€™t get into the older movies. I can remember staying up on Sunday nights with my brother eating dinner in the living room, making popcorn; because there was going to be a Disney movie on at 8 PM & after that, we went to bed. The movies could be anything put out by Disney, so Iā€™ve seen a good majority of them :rofl:

I remember the first time I saw Darby Oā€™Gill & the banshee scared the dickens out of me! It was still one of my favorite movies to watch by Disney for years & at the time we couldnā€™t just tell our remote or other electronics what we wanted to watch. We had to wait for it to be available or buy the VHS copy.

Damn am I dating myself :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

To be honest i was kind of lost in some of the partsā€¦ i assume i had no idea what was happening or the topics were something outside of my knowledgeā€¦ Oh and 4 screaming kids in the house makes you miss a lotā€¦ I didnā€™t like the sacrifice part either or any other for that matterā€¦

7 Likes

My first exposure to witches came from THE WIZARD OF OZ movie with Glenda the Good Witch who looked like a Princess and Miss Almira Gulch who is the Wicked Witch of the West.

I love this movie and Dorothyā€™s (and Totoā€™s) adventure in finding their way home, a metaphor for finding their way back to self and recognizing her intrinsic power. I think I have the duality of both; good witch, wicked witch in me. Depends on the day.

I also like the Hallmark TV movies about Cassie Nightingale in THE GOOD WITCH seriesā€¦ especially the first ones. I so wanted a witchy room of my own to look like hers. Wish they had played her craft/craftiness up a little more.

The Disney movie MALIFICENT is so interesting. I believe she is actually a fairy but I get the feeling of witchiness. A retelling of the story of Sleeping Beauty.
A story takes on a life of its own. Depending on whoā€™s telling the story (their agenda) and how it is added to and changed and nuanced can make such a huge difference in how the story / legend is believed. A legend can become a lie.

And I enjoyed Debbie Reynolds in HALLOWEEN TOWN. I want to be the fun granny witch with great power at my disposal.

7 Likes

Oh how could I forget thte Wizard of Oz! When I was younger we watched that every year! My grandmother had a recording of it & then she would put it on for us to watch when we were at her house. I like your view on the metaphor of Dorothy & Toto finding their way home @Amber.8

I honestly havenā€™t seen many Hallmark movies or shows (thatā€™s a whole thing from my stepmother), but Maleficent is a favorite of mine & the range in fairy interpretations & other sprites & such from the Moores is something that kept my interest & the story itself.

The live-action remakes have been great, I enjoy most of them. I canā€™t think of one off the top of my head that I really didnā€™t enjoy in some wayā€¦ except the Alice in Wonderland live-action movies. Johnny Depp did a great job, but I just didnā€™t like somethingā€¦ so could never get into those retellings.

Last night I thought of one while we were watching TV before bed, do you think I can remember it nowā€¦ no. It will come to me, so if there is a random reply with just a titleā€¦ that was the one. :joy:

8 Likes

@TheMuslimWitch Yeah, I feel you on being lost for some of it. I remember having to go back and watch a few episodes more than once to make sure I understood what was going on lol

@Amber.8 I absolutely LOVE The Good Witch! Itā€™s one of my favorite shows and I am all here for Ms. Cassie Nightingale lol

9 Likes

Youā€™re thinking of ā€œThe Vampire Diaries.ā€ I loved that one too. But I havenā€™t seen anyone mention the movie ā€œThe Craft.ā€ What a classic!

I also LOVE Practical Magic. :grinning:

8 Likes

The Ninth Gate! I wasnā€™t supposed to watch that when I was littleā€¦but I did anyway and it definitely scared me but oddly also intrigued me :laughing: And stories from old times are always a good watch/listen. King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, Merlin and I recently watched The Green Knight and spotted all of the witchy practices shown in good or neutral light.

@Amethyst @NickWick Iā€™m also an unashamed Potterhead lol The books are supreme, the theme parks are excellent and the movies are good. Instead of thinking of it as witch/wizard fiction, I liken more to fiction for witches if that makes sense?

I also love all the Anne Rice books, even though itā€™s mostly vampires, she stays true to home with the inclusion of witches, pagan practitioners and hoodoo work. And out of all the American Horror seasons, Coven was my fave even with all the things it got wrong, it was still just good entertainment.

11 Likes

Big news! Yesterday was kind of a big deal for me regarding my intuition & clarity in the afternoon. I never got the chance to re-attempt a meditation/group ritual, but, my husband came home from work. I let him get settled & he said that he was going across the street for a minute to see our neighbor. Which, can be anywhere from less than 5 minutes to the rest of the evening. So while he was gone, my daughter was with the neighborā€™s wife, my son was in the shower, I put on:

The Craft I remember when it came out & I never saw it. Amazingly, my husband came home & looked at it & said this isnā€™t a bad movie. WHAT?!?!? my husband has seen this?!?! He actually couldnā€™t believe that I had NEVER seen it, it perplexed him quite a bit. He must have asked me 4 times if I was sure I had never seen it. So, we watched it & I really liked it too. When that movie ends & my husband says:

ā€œDo you want to watch, The Craft 2?ā€ā€¦ HOLD THE PHONE!!! :phone: There are 2!!! So yeahā€¦ we watched the second one The Craft 2: Legacy it is on Netflix & was released in 2020. Definitely a modern spin, but it was also good & had the same types of themes.

(If anyone remembers The X Files, Agent Mulder is a main character in the 2nd movie - the only spoiler Iā€™m willing to give)

My oldest son came home from work during the movie & he wound up watching it with us. I had a good portion of the family watching witchy movies last night. :laughing: It was a great time though & really helped me with some things I had on my mind & the week in general. I really needed that & Iā€™m going to run back through this thread, & see if there is anything that I havenā€™t seen that maybe I should.

OH! Speaking of things maybe to see: The Witch Hunter with Vin Dieselā€¦ that was a good movie too! I just canā€™t remember what service or channel I watched it on :thinking:

10 Likes

Sabrina The Teenage Witch was one of my favorite shows growing up. Itā€™s corny, at times, but itā€™s a fun, lighthearted comedy, nonetheless. Very much prefer it over The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I wasnā€™t too fond that in that show Sabrinaā€™s coven worshipped Satan and that their magic came from him.

8 Likes

I remember Sabrina, but I donā€™t think I watched it :thinking:

My husband found a movie called Season of the Witch. It takes place during the Crusades starting in the 1300ā€™s & how they treated witches or people suspected of witchcraft during the rise of Christianity & during the bubonic plague.

It was an interesting watch, i think Iā€™m going to see if there is a book associated with it
:face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

I liked A Discovery of Witches. I loved the first five seasons of the original Charmed series. Morticia Addams is my favorite witch :slight_smile:

horsesaround

11 Likes

I would not say i like many shows but i loved the harry potter movie series and the books and every now and agin i will go back and re watch or reread them againšŸ˜ƒ

8 Likes

@robin77 I am with you on Anne Rice and her fantastic witch series. Loved! I also loved the magnificently disturbing The Ninth Gate.

6 Likes

I like that one too !

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.